Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Unread 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,626.00
laguna80 is on a distinguished road
Default SUV converted into truck.

Hi all, so first post obvious and I've spent hours searching for as many rules and regs as I can. Here's my dilemma: I have a 1974 Toyota Landcruiser that has been modified into a truck as can be seen by the pictures. I took it to try to get it reconed since I'm moving soon, but I was told that it would never be able to be certified because the body was modified too much. They told me my only option is to get an automotive engineer to inspect and certify the cab to be structurally sound. I figured I'd post all this up in case someone else is thinking of doing something similar. From what I can tell, it's never gonna happen because there aren't any engineers out here, they're all on the mainland. I hate to see my dream die but it's gonna have to I think. Anyway, if you all have a suggestions, comments, or questions then please don't hesitate to say anything. I'm all ears. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,701.00
Outsider is on a distinguished road

There's a guy on here with a Bronco that did kinda the same thing. I don't think he made it through recon. And his came from the factory with a removable-top. If you're on Oahu, I'd say you're screwed. But on an outer-island? I dunno. Maybe you'll be fine. Oahu is the only island you need recon...if I'm not mistaken.
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,917.20
Act162this is on a distinguished road

hmm.

i know this is way after the fact because it looks like the rear doors have been welded shut and the roofline has been altered, but...

maybe if you left the rear doors on and chopped the cab after the rear doors, you could make a filler panel after the rear seats and it would look like you had a removable top or a shortbed crew cab.

didn't the land cruisers come in all sorts of permutations all over the world? i'm sure they have a truck version somewhere (probably in australia or europe). if you could make it look like that, maybe you could pass.
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Thanks for the replies. The guys at recon said they'd only seen something like that once before and that one had to get a engineer to inspect it too. I really wish I had more time and space to make this work but I'm moving on Jan. 1st and am losing my workspace. There are plenty of LC variations out there, but I'm not that great with body work haha
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Oh ya, my take home lesson from all this is to call recon and ask what's legal and what's not before doing any mods in the future, which is what I should have done before taking the sawzall to the body.
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Impact Blue
No-Pan Shabu-Shabu

Additional Info
Credits: 5,768.94
Impact Blue is on a distinguished road

Sell it to someone on the Neighbor islands and save it from the scrap heap.

You poke me, I shoot you in the face. Only fair, right?
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,745.19
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact Blue View Post
Sell it to someone on the Neighbor islands and save it from the scrap heap.
I'd wheel it...but then again I could get the safety check done and have it legal in a jiffy, too.

Unread 12-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 62,115.75
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Yeah...too bad...I think someone on the outer islands would love a vehicle like that...just needs a little more paint and bodywork and it could be a winner.
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
bluehawaii2003HD
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Oahu Someplace
Credits: 1,966.20
bluehawaii2003HD is on a distinguished road

how about putting a roll cage in it
Unread 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,917.20
Act162this is on a distinguished road

^^ ayup - go for a full cage, maybe exo-cage or some butt-armor, and just tow/trailer it to the trails and wheel the crap out of it.

actually, at that point, you might as well bob the tail or tack on a shortbed toy bed since you're going to cage it, and shorten it up a bit for more departure angle.

those things are fairly popular with the wheeling crowd, esp. with gear/axle upgrades.

i was going to add an ARB or Schrockworks front winch bumper to the wife's T4R and have my friend weld up some butt armor and sliders instead of replacing the rear bumper with a steel skid plate/bumper, but wife said no.
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Well I pretty much exhausted all my options. I asked the recon guys about a roll cage and they said no. The guy essentially just told me it's impossible. He said I'd have to have an automotive engineer to come out, provide plans for everything that was done, and get DOT approval for those plans. I'm starting to think of a bodyswap, but I don't know if that would be worth it. I have no space to work from and little money to put into the project. Damn you Hawaii laws for killing my dream lol
EDIT: I'm on my last effort now. I've emailed Toyota to see what they say about my project.
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Did you do what I told you on the other forum? Clean up the body, paint it a solid color, do some decent tires/rims and make it look legal as possible with stock drivetrain. Do your safety and say f recon.

Unread 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by udown4sum4wheelin View Post
Did you do what I told you on the other forum? Clean up the body, paint it a solid color, do some decent tires/rims and make it look legal as possible with stock drivetrain. Do your safety and say f recon.
Ya I did, but didn't have any luck in town. The next step would be to head out to North Shore or something. I got a little worried, because the safety check guy called up recon to ask and I know recon remembers my ride for sure. So, I don't know if they'd call up the cops on me or something.
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

maybe give it a rest until after its cleaned up a bit more. Like I said, a quick spray bomb and good tires and rims will go along way. Even if you gotta drop a lil bit of money for bondo/glazing putty, then it may be worth it..if you want it on the road.

If that came my way as is, it would see a satin olive green(camo green), black rims(maybe keep those steelies and paint um black n throw the moon covers over em again), and a quick canvas top to make it look like a 4Runner or even a stock 84-88 cap. Possibly spray the bed area or put down a piece of plywood or carpet. Throw on seat covers in the front(or new seats...see people throwin away good used seats often), paint the front floor black or go to a junk yard and yank the carpet from a random car n make it fit, and do a quick up on minor cosmetic things. I noticed you cut the rear bed side, might wanna see if the 84-88 4Runner rear side plastic will work and possibly a set of stock toyota mud flaps from something else. Goal for now, make it look like its supposed to be on the road with as less things as possible to get turned away. Dont even bring up the part of you modding it.
Its wierd, I have a vision of what this could look like in my head. A friend had one here on the BI with a 327, stock 3spd and it gapped 33s. ill dig up a pic of it.
It sucks, this state is all about who you know. I've had to go thru leaps and bounds to find a station to do my parents van on Oahu....finally found a place to pass it. Dont give up man.

this piece to cover the rear part you cut for now? held on by a 10mm bolt that bolts to a bracket that is spot welded to the body of the Runner....or you could do a tube wrap around, but some places may say you need a dot approved bumper too.

Unread 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

For the rockers and bottom of the quarters, I have 4x4 square tubing I was gonna weld in. For now, it's got a nice rustoleum rattle can paint job and aside from where the doors are welded up, it looks pretty good. I talked to the recon guy again and he said it's impossible to make this legal. Basically, I have to have plans provided by the engineer, an inspection by the engineer and DOT approval for those plans. I asked about roll cages and he said that still won't be allowed. I'm thinking I should just ship it to the big island or even to fam on the mainland. The guy at recon indicated that it wouldn't even pass on Big Island when I mentioned that plan, but I was under the impression that it would be fine over there cause there's no more recon. At this point, my options are to ship it, sell it or part it out. I wanna find a new FJ55 and then use this one as my parts vehicle. Just don't have any damn space! grrrr
Here's a pic:
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #16
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

hows this project going?

Unread 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info

It's dead now. I've put it up on craigslist as a parts vehicle. I figured someone may be restoring another FJ55 and could use the parts. I was gonna give it a little bit of time and if it didn't sell, then strip it for parts and sell on ebay. There's plenty of great parts still on it that's why.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
chromewarrior555
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,705.25
chromewarrior555 is on a distinguished road

I know this is way late but I'm the guy w/ the Bronco. The back part was removable on the Broncos, the top on this truck is not. It's just like chopping the top on a VW. It's not going to be legal on Oahu.
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 62,115.75
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Pix?

Facebook Comments