Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 08-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 65,665.50
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road
Default Disaster Preparedness - What's your list?

With the threat of the upcoming storms looming in the forecast...what's your disaster prep list?

Here's mine:

A ton of Menehune Water
A-Bag of Military MREs
Stocked Pantry of SPAM, Ravioli, & Asst Canned Goods
Comfort foods (peanut butter, snacks & Cookies)
Flashlights & a couple of electric lamps
Wind-up Radio
Generator
5 Gallon Gas Containers
First Aid Kit & Meds
Fire Extinguishers
Tons of Towels & Toilet Paper
CAT FOOD...lol...
Some big ol' coolers in case the fridge goes bad.
And of course, some home defense and all the rest of the crap that comes with my house.
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Heh! Mike is posting again! I know you super busy with SP and KRP.

Each person in the household has;

1 case of bottled water
AAA LED flashlight (Costco special)
Rain gear

The pantry and prep shelves are ready. We ate all of 100 lbs. of our Mylar packed rice when we moved in April (was over 3 years), and we will be packing more after the storm. We have 50 plus pounds in our normal larder.

Most of our canned goods (over 60 cans) are date safe.

In other words, we are sufficient to last about 10 days on just our resources. Plus we have our "greenhouse" which is producing already (spinach, lettuce, taro leaves, green onion, eggplant, cucumbers, lemons, tomatoes). Hope it holds together; most everything is under a "roof" now.

Our 10 gallon water coolers will be filled with ice and water. I will borrow our church one to make it 30 gallons total.

Our home preps are different this time because we live in a concrete bunker house on the ground floor of a duplex with a family above us. Our rain barrels are ready to harvest some water (275 gallons total). We can tap and filter into those if it gets bad. We are also next to a stream so we can pull from there if we need utility (non-potable) water. Seriously.

I might splurge and pick up a Goal Zero mini AAA/AA/USB charger for our devices today.

My EDC office bag and bug-out bag are in my truck, as well as my truck emergency bag (3 MREs, 3 cans chili, 4 cans vienna sausages, 6 bottles water, 2 Clif bars). If I get stuck on the windward side @ the office, I'll be able to eat without shopping for a little while.

I don't have a portable Sawzall anymore (bummers), I could sure use a FUBAR tool (Stanley), and a generator. My only power sources sans electricity will be my jump pack (with inverter) and our UPS for our house computer.

And of course, my EDC is always on me.

I'm prepared. I like to be overprepared I guess. Makes me happy.

Other than that, topping off the fuel tanks, putting on my light bar on my truck, we're pretty much set. Always are, come to think of it.
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Haha, I knew you would be. Actually, most of the guys on here currently are preppers, hehe. I was curious to what people were picking up or have in case I might want to go out and grab something myself. Think I'll head out and pick up some more canned goods and some of those costco specials. I've a couple of USB battery packs I use for my cameras, so all good there.

Wish I had a freakin' garden though.
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,017.70
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Other than that, topping off the fuel tanks, putting on my light bar on my truck, we're pretty much set.
cb radio?
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

need to go shopping, apparently - while i was out of state last week, nobody went shopping.

need to restock my canned goods and SPAM, probably could do w/ some more brown rice, and paper goods (TP, mostly).

gotta test fire the gen after i cleaned out the carb a couple of weeks ago, but at least i filled up a couple of gas cans.

unfortunately, i pre-mixed some of them for my lawn equipment, so i can't run the gen off of that (but at least my lawn will look nice after the storm).
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Wish I had a freakin' garden though.
heh... we're working on clearing out some space in our back yard for a garden. we had a garden years ago, then it turned into a flower patch, then a ginger patch, now it's just a place for bugs to hang out.

i want to dig it up, redo the dirt, and make a garden. i was also thinking of putting up one of those plastic costco or home depot outdoor storage sheds and running hydroponics along with vermiposting just for fun.
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I have plenty of room alongside the house for a cute little garden to grow some stuff. I should really rip it all out and give it a shot. I think we're just going to get some wind and rain but it's better to be prepared.
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
cb radio?
Find me a cheap one, Bruce, and we're buddies for life.

That's my one radio desire. I turned my DEM radio in back in April, so my only comms for now are my FRS radios (which are really short range) and the cell phone.

Even a cheapie 40 ch running 4 watts. I wonder how they talk on CB nowadays.
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
I have plenty of room alongside the house for a cute little garden to grow some stuff. I should really rip it all out and give it a shot. I think we're just going to get some wind and rain but it's better to be prepared.
Quote:
heh... we're working on clearing out some space in our back yard for a garden. we had a garden years ago, then it turned into a flower patch, then a ginger patch, now it's just a place for bugs to hang out.

i want to dig it up, redo the dirt, and make a garden. i was also thinking of putting up one of those plastic costco or home depot outdoor storage sheds and running hydroponics along with vermiposting just for fun.
At the other house we lived at, with our landlord's blessing, we had a great little yard with enough parking for three vehicles, or a small game of pickup football (really small). We were given the green light to "eat our yard".

The result was the veggies we shared with our neighbors for three years. It was awesome.

Now, with our "hothouse" garden, we can still feed ourselves and a neighbor or two. Hopefully the storm force won't topple too much over, but there's a "roof" about 4' high that offers a bit of shelter (though it lets rain and sunlight in.)

"Eat your yard!" "Grow gardens instead of lawns!"

Even in non-disaster, it saves a bit of money when you grow instead of shop.
Unread 08-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Here is something I had been wanting to try out for a while. Another example of improvising packs and gear for other purposes.

It's my 72 hour belt pack, loosely based on the SAS survival pouch. I'll put info on the EDC thread.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

My APC brand UPS is officially DOA. Now it's a POS. I'm pretty much SOL about it in such a short time. WTF.
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Find me a cheap one, Bruce, and we're buddies for life.

That's my one radio desire. I turned my DEM radio in back in April, so my only comms for now are my FRS radios (which are really short range) and the cell phone.

Even a cheapie 40 ch running 4 watts. I wonder how they talk on CB nowadays.
if i can find where i put my stuff, i may have an older one lying around you can have. i gave away some of my other antennas and meters to friends, but i still have my two main radios and i think at least one backup lying around.

i'm planning to put the two radios into our vehicles one day, but you are welcome to anything else i can find.

i have enough RG8 coax to do several cars/trucks pre-cut already lying around (the good stuff) that you are more than welcome to (it's just taking up space in the garage).

i know i've got a bunch of power mikes lying around, but not sure if they're pinned for my spare radios (4 pin). i hope i pulled out the 9v batteries, or they've probably corroded away and ruined the mikes.

even a cheap, 4w radio with a power mike and well-tuned antenna will get out there.

with a 102" whip on a beat up old accord, optima red top battery and dual final export radio (50w) i got from kailua to kalihi easily. my friend couldn't believe i was in kailua on my export - he thought i was using my comp rig and amp in my other car.
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
My APC brand UPS is officially DOA. Now it's a POS. I'm pretty much SOL about it in such a short time. WTF.
battery bills used to have replacement batteries, but for probably the same price, you can get a new one from costco.

i'm charging up my backup UPSs (i have backup UPSs for my backup UPSs). this way i can keep the fish tanks running, laptops charged, etc...
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #14
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
battery bills used to have replacement batteries, but for probably the same price, you can get a new one from costco.

i'm charging up my backup UPSs (i have backup UPSs for my backup UPSs). this way i can keep the fish tanks running, laptops charged, etc...
Awesome news! I was so bummed about our UPS being DOA. I decided to leave the power "OFF" and keep it plugged into the wall outlet overnight, "just in case" (it was plugged into a GFCI outlet so it would trip if there were something amiss).

This morning I pushed the "ON" button, and after the self-diagnosis, voila! No "replace battery" light! Leaving it plugged in for the long haul until we need it. I won't plug the house comp into it yet...
Unread 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Awesome news! I was so bummed about our UPS being DOA. I decided to leave the power "OFF" and keep it plugged into the wall outlet overnight, "just in case" (it was plugged into a GFCI outlet so it would trip if there were something amiss).

This morning I pushed the "ON" button, and after the self-diagnosis, voila! No "replace battery" light! Leaving it plugged in for the long haul until we need it. I won't plug the house comp into it yet...
yups - got a couple of orphaned UPS from my old job i rescued to be reconditioned (new batteries). charging them up now so we can have tv, computers (even if no internet, can watch movies on the laptops) and cell phones/wireless land lines.

also have a dedicated UPS for the fish tank so they will have pumps and filters during power failures.
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
bandits1
Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 6,081.11
bandits1 is on a distinguished road

Think I'm set. Charged up all the rechargeable batteries and emergency night/flashlights, filled up as many containers as I could find with water for washing hands/toilet/whatever(we have bottled water for drinking), bought a few gallons of fresh, non-ethanol gas for the generator and secured everything that I think could fly away. Have a whole bunch of Chef Boyardee in the pantry.

Running low on beer, though. That could prove to be the back-breaker if things go real bad.

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."

- Calvin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

oh yeah... beer... i don't think i saw people buying that at all!

i remember when i was working at holiday mart before hurricane iniki hit, people came in buying a lot of beer, chips, and condoms around 10 p.m.

the definitiion of "stocking up on supplies" was a bit different then...
Unread 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

This is a slow-moving storm.

Lots of folks are thinking to pick up more preps today, but a lot of places are closed for safety reasons. As of now, it isn't even close to Oahu yet and folks think this is the storm (8:00 am) and it's not really anything yet! The worst is coming soon.

Put my light rack on my roof rack, but the lights aren't working right. Might spend the morning in the garage trying to make em work.
Unread 08-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #19
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i can't believe they haven't called off canvassing tomorrow. i'm pretty sure we ain't signwaving today - at least i don't plan to. the roads are empty anyway - who the heck is going to see us (or care)?
Unread 08-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
bandits1
Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 6,081.11
bandits1 is on a distinguished road

I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed. Again, not that I was wishing for widespread destruction but I at least wanted the threat of it haha. It barely even rained in upper Pearl City.

Leaving all the water containers filled at least through Monday, though.

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."

- Calvin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #21
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits1 View Post
I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed. Again, not that I was wishing for widespread destruction but I at least wanted the threat of it haha. It barely even rained in upper Pearl City.

yup - couldn't hurt. i might just fire up the generator to make sure it works after i cleaned out the carb. if it doesn't, it's a good time to take it back to aloha power for a tune up with my other power tools.
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits1 View Post

I'll admit, I'm really disappointed. That's horrible for me to say, but not because of the folks who suffered misfortune on the eastern end of the Big Island, who will be out of power for the next few weeks. For them my heart and prayers go out...thank God that relief and supplies to tie them over are on the way.

What I'm disappointed in, is how people took a flippant approach to the potential dangers and need for sustainability (aka 7 day survival kit) should utility and faculty be disabled....one person even said that is 12 gauge is his survival kit...rob and pillage others...forgetting that most prepared people also prepare to defend themselves if needed.

The beauty of living prepared is that the amount of predisaster prep was minimal; assure our water system would sustain us (rain barrels from wife's garden), double check and top off our food supply (canned and dry goods, and I grabbed several cans of Mountain House 1 pound cans from my parent's house supply "stash"), prep and fuel our vehicles, and get my essentials out (rain gear, UPS, power support). The rest is part of our lifestyle.

And so, our "demobilization" is minimal. Water barrels stay where they were anyway. No returning anything to the store. Only thing is my wife will unsecure her garden/greenhouse (she clustered all the trays together and covered them to minimize damage). The worms survived of course.

My ONE consideration for future preparedness; a generator. Either a Honda (but they're not cheap) or a GoalZero solar generator (Costco had them for under a grand, and they can sustain a fridge, and other smaller items.) I realized my fish would be in trouble if my UPS and jump pack (inverter) went out.

This is a busy season. Three more "disturbances" formed in the Eastern Pacific yesterday. We'll see if they stick around long enough to be given a name.
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Pretty neat that I found two cases of this at my parents' home. I had it there after the Y2k scare...still good for another 8 years. Mountain House is a very reliable and trustworthy brand...I might crack one open to check the quality...but that would mean I have to eat 12 servings of whatever I open (although you can stretch out to one week before the freeze dried quality goes down).

We've eaten the products and I must say that it is just as good as canned food...the Teriyaki rice reminded me of the Jack in the Box Teriyaki Bowls from way back.
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #24
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Just wanted to find out if all the HTers are completely demobilized.

Or did you leave all your hurricane preps "out" where you left them two weeks ago?

I moved the UPS to my children's bedroom, where it will remain on standby (it was never used since we moved back from Molokai 5 years ago) until I can be assured safe to use with the home computer and network core (routers and "box" for our neighbor's TV)

I'm looking at my jump pack and the rain gear for our family of four. Time to fold and pack it back in the plastic shed in the garage.

I realized after a CERT training this past weekend of the importance of having portable bottled water; the instructor (who happens to be a friend) shared the "what if"....what if the house where we call home base is destroyed? What if the hurricane or flood water knocked our five barrels over = key water supply (275 gallons)? What if the tub and wash basins all crack and leak? But rather than hoard a huge amount of water, he suggested buying a case of water every 2-3 weeks and stash it. Someone usually has a sale on bottled water at one time or other; it wont' be same brand in the stash, but no one cares as long as it's water. I didn't even think about that!
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #25
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Just wanted to find out if all the HTers are completely demobilized.
we are now... except for the gallon jugs of water and a couple of storage bins (emptied out the coolers) full of water/clorox for emergency use (not drinking) i put everything back away.

fired up and ran the generator after cleaning out the carb with fresh fuel and fuel system cleaner, changed the oil, emptied the tank and carb, and put it back into storage.

ran the propane lantern and stoves for a little bit just to make sure they worked and stored them away, too.

Quote:
Or did you leave all your hurricane preps "out" where you left them two weeks ago?
i thought the hurricane/storm (Karina?) might be coming our way again, so I left out the supplies/etc... until we were pretty sure it wasn't coming this way.

Quote:
I moved the UPS to my children's bedroom, where it will remain on standby (it was never used since we moved back from Molokai 5 years ago) until I can be assured safe to use with the home computer and network core (routers and "box" for our neighbor's TV)

I'm looking at my jump pack and the rain gear for our family of four. Time to fold and pack it back in the plastic shed in the garage.
yeah, i had our camping gear/stove/lanterns all out and ready to go, but now they're back in the outside closet ready for the next camping trip or whatever.

Quote:
I realized after a CERT training this past weekend of the importance of having portable bottled water; the instructor (who happens to be a friend) shared the "what if"....what if the house where we call home base is destroyed? What if the hurricane or flood water knocked our five barrels over = key water supply (275 gallons)? What if the tub and wash basins all crack and leak? But rather than hoard a huge amount of water, he suggested buying a case of water every 2-3 weeks and stash it. Someone usually has a sale on bottled water at one time or other; it wont' be same brand in the stash, but no one cares as long as it's water. I didn't even think about that!
that's a good idea - that's how we rotate stock. oldest bottled water gets drunk and replaced with new cases when they go on sale. we go through bottled water (i keep a cooler in both cars) because if the boy forgets his water jug for karate or baseball, we will always have some in the car for him.

i also keep the outside fridge stocked with water and gatorade for when we're working outside or practicing outside, we don't have to go in the house all dirty and sweaty, so that's another place to store water (we drink it faster when it's cold, too...).

Facebook Comments