Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion

HT Hosting

View Poll Results: How dark is your vehicle tint?
35% or more (legal limit) 2 50.00%
20% to 35% (illegal but still somewhat reasonable) 1 25.00%
0% to 20% (blacked out) 0 0%
No tint 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Unread 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Window Tint (rant)

Drivers with illegal tint resort to drastic measures after crackdown

Here are my questions to you; (EDIT: made a poll so you can be anonymous)

1) Are your windows tinted or not?

2) If tinted, is your tint legal 35% reduction to pass safety check?

3) Do you resort to drastic measures (bribing friends who safety check, remove and reapply tint) to pass inspection then go back to putting on illegal tint?

4) Can someone give me a reason why tint should be so black you can't see a thing into the car and probably same thing from the interior (I assume). I can't imagine what it must be like to drive at night.

Personally, I see no real practical need for totally blacked out windows. Limousines and vans have back windows tinted for passengers' privacy. Drivers and vehicle operators need visibility, not privacy; not just for their own operating safety but to give visual cues to other drivers and pedestrians.

Trying to figure out through blacked out tint whether someone waves you a go-ahead or is just inattentive is discourteous and dangerous. I've moved ahead when a car just sits there, then as I move I get a loud horn blaring at me; I stare right into the black tint and give a "hey, I can't see you" look and gesture. They are either too chicken to roll their window down or they have a 12 gauge pointed at me; either literally or in their imagination. Grow a pair, folks.

I think the degradation of social behavior in today's society keeps people from visually communicating with each other, even strangers on the road. There's a reasonable limit to how dark windows should be, and titanium and other metalized tints reduce interior temps without being so dark you can't see squat in the operator's seat.

As for me, I have the factory tint on my truck (back seat only and back window), and going to re-tint my wife's old Explorer with legal tint very soon (old tint is purple already). So, how's your ride's windows tinted?

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 04-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 04-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,033.35
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Drivers with illegal tint resort to drastic measures after crackdown

Here are my questions to you; (EDIT: made a poll so you can be anonymous)

1) Are your windows tinted or not? yep

2) If tinted, is your tint legal 35% reduction to pass safety check? yep. wouldn't put my friend's gas station safety check license at risk.

3) Do you resort to drastic measures (bribing friends who safety check, remove and reapply tint) to pass inspection then go back to putting on illegal tint? nope. if i was going to runumhard, i would just take the fine. kinda like guys running aftermarket HID kits. if you know it's illegal and you do it anyway, don't cry if you get a ticket or get caught.

4) Can someone give me a reason why tint should be so black you can't see a thing into the car and probably same thing from the interior (I assume). I can't imagine what it must be like to drive at night.

it's not as bad as you think. before the law passed, i had two layers of 5% tint on everything but the windshield and rear window. couldn't see inside in broad daylight, but you could see out okay during the day and not too bad at night. if it was really dark out and i had a hard time seeing when backing up, i would just roll the windows down.

we had 5% over factory on the wife's old T4R and it wasn't so bad, you just got to get used to using your outside mirrors. I kinda like the privacy - you can leave stuff like your boogie boards and christmas shopping in the car and nobody can see it, we used to change into our tennis clothes right outside the courts and nobody could see, and nobody really messes with you.

you tend not to get cut off so much because people can't see if you're looking, and if you do get cut off, they are less likely to act dumb because they don't know who might be inside (could be one person, could be truckload of angry samoans).

i'm not sure, but i think you can fail safety check if your tint is really old, opaque or peeling and impairs visibility, too. i redid our van with ceramic tint, and it really cuts down on the heat inside after it sits in the sun all day at work. between the ceramic tint on the windshield and side windows, i don't even bother with the sunshield on the windshield any more.
Unread 05-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,745.24
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

I like being darked out for personal reasons. No need for others to see what I'm doing.

However all my vehicles that do have tint, have 35% front side windows. I opted to go darker on the back sides of my truck and when I had to replace the rear facing window, I went back to 35% cause I couldn't see at night. Ive had that problem on a few trucks of mine so I don't go with 5% anymore on the rear facing. Nowdays you can't get away with it, but one day ill run 5% on every window and tint the whole windshield again.

Unread 05-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

I'm all for privacy and all, don't get me wrong.

It's just that sometimes you need to SEE the person in the car, make eye contact, and visually communicate to them if you want them to cut in, go ahead at a stuck intersection, etc. Or when pedestrians are crossing a street in a crosswalk...you should be able to make eye contact with the other driver to see if they will let you cross. (I know that a lot of pedestrians don't even look, they treat the crosswalks like some force field, just jump out and expect everyone to stop...I'll save that for a whole nother rant later.)

I know that with social degradation, we don't even want to look at each other in traffic, etc. Me, when I must, I look both ways, if someone looks back at me, I just give um the "howzit" look or nod, or trow da shaka if it's one braddah. If they no do back, no harm no foul.

My truck has tinted back door windows and back window. I like that, but my side windows and windshield I need to have clear. My old eyes aren't as sharp anymore.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,745.24
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

good points…

Facebook Comments