Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Unread 08-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info
Credits: 3,043.77
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
Default safety check brackets

so is it really illegal to have it next to the license plate? iam just wondering?

i have mines on my bumper...but wen i was looking online i found this link..but iam getting my bumper repainted and wanted to put the decal on the bracket....going use the one that attaches to the bumper via nut n bolt

http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/24/news/kokualine.html

Quote:
We asked Kamimura, per your comment, why it is no longer legal to use the metal brackets to attach the safety stickers.

He said it is not "illegal" to use the metal decal holders, unless they somehow obscure the license plate. Kamimura pointed to Section 19-133.2-24(b) of the DOT rules, which say, in part, that safety decals "placed on or next to the license plate 'may' be a violation if it is considered by law enforcement personnel as obscuring the license plate since safety inspection decals are not authorized to be placed on the license plate, or not in vicinity of the right rear bumper."
hes talking about the bracket that is on the bumper it self and not the license plate one correct?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Last I recall the word is the plate bracket is not an approved place.

Right side of the vertical portion of the rear bumper, is what I recall

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
HI-5o
Local PoPo

The last update to the Admin rules was Dec of 2005, as of then it still allows use of a "...special bracket installed horizontally under the right portion of the rear bumper where the sticker can be clearly viewed by a person who is fifty feet behind the vehicle. The rear window or the license plate is not an appropriate place."

Hawaii Administrative Rules 19-133.2-24 (b)
Unread 08-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 17,242.86
lois is on a distinguished road

plate bracket...not allowed and a ticketable offense.

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,921.00
Act162this is on a distinguished road

also a good way to get your safety check stickers stolen.
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

idk why people say its easy to steal the bracket, if u have it on real good...its going take more time then a razor blade and tape.... ( i know i do it at work) lol
Unread 08-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i think someone on the "other" forum posted that his was just ripped off his bumper (brute force method) and left his bumper cover all twisted up.

somebody managed to get the bracket off my mother's car, even though i used the sticky tape and two bolts/lockwashers. didn't expect people to be carrying around tools just to steal safety checks... if anything, i thought they might try to brute force it off, but that's about it.
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
HI-5o
Local PoPo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
i think someone on the "other" forum posted that his was just ripped off his bumper (brute force method) and left his bumper cover all twisted up.

somebody managed to get the bracket off my mother's car, even though i used the sticky tape and two bolts/lockwashers. didn't expect people to be carrying around tools just to steal safety checks... if anything, i thought they might try to brute force it off, but that's about it.
For mine I used a couple of oversized fender washers as well as regular washers (couldn't find a fender washer with a small enough hole) and used a hex head bolt. So if they want my S/C they better have the right tools...
Unread 08-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

yeah, i thought about using allen head bolts, but figured how often would people be carrying around wrenches/ratchets just to steal a s/c?
Unread 08-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Nuckin Futs
3M TA3

Additional Info
Aye Bah Bits
View profile
Credits: 2,033.07
Nuckin Futs is on a distinguished road

I heard stories of SC stickers on brand new cars being stolen via "saw method", must suck to have a gaping hole sawed out of your rear bumper.
Unread 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,438.91
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

^^^now datz definately nutz!!!... i'd be like WTF!!!!
i also like the square hole bolts too.
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
butnut
Breaker

Additional Info
west-side
Credits: 1,587.30
butnut is on a distinguished road

I bolt my bracket under the center of the bumper...did that for 4 of my past vehicles for years...looked whacked when it on one side...cause I'm anal....hehe. My friend neva pass recon, having the SC plate on the side of the plate was one of the reasons...but I see a lot of private cop cars with da side plate...
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
mrbkkt1
Brandon

i know that it's a repost on my own part:
but get something custom made like i did.
It's a license plate frame w/ the safety check bracket built in.
it's also attached w/ security bolts.:
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
Unread 08-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

iam just worried about someone ripping offf my recon sticker...lol can i put it in a glass case? lol
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #15
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by butnut
I see a lot of private cop cars with da side plate...
a lot of those guys just went through IA inspection and got called on it. they shouldn't be there (the plates) for long.

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 08-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
mrbkkt1
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurusaibobx
iam just worried about someone ripping offf my recon sticker...lol can i put it in a glass case? lol
recon will only get put onto your bumper. pretty much no exceptions.
even if you have a plate bracket, they will stick it on your bumper, in which case it looks wack.
I would,if i got recon:
Make another license plate like mine, except w/ space for 3 stickers.
transfer the recon sticker to the plate ( gotta be real careful, since the newer stickers are even thinner, i wouldn't attempt unless you've done it before.
slash that thing into about 15 pieces after.
i've noticed that using curvy cuts makes it extremely hard to take off after.
i fogot to mention, that after you stick it on, use a hair dryer to get the glue on the back of the sticker super sticky, and use a plastic squegee ( sticker kine, tint kine, or bodywork kine), to get additional bubbles out.
after the sticker cools off, it will be almost impossible to get off, then slash it.
don't get it too hot, cause you don't want to melt the sticker.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #17
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

i see...yeah i want to slash mines but dont wana slash it on my bumper lol...
Unread 08-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #18
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
also a good way to get your safety check stickers stolen.
Rivet the damnned thing to the bumper... (If you have a real bumper, that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
recon will only get put onto your bumper. pretty much no exceptions.
even if you have a plate bracket, they will stick it on your bumper, in which case it looks wack.
I would,if i got recon:
Make another license plate like mine, except w/ space for 3 stickers.
transfer the recon sticker to the plate ( gotta be real careful, since the newer stickers are even thinner, i wouldn't attempt unless you've done it before.
slash that thing into about 15 pieces after.
i've noticed that using curvy cuts makes it extremely hard to take off after.
i fogot to mention, that after you stick it on, use a hair dryer to get the glue on the back of the sticker super sticky, and use a plastic squegee ( sticker kine, tint kine, or bodywork kine), to get additional bubbles out.
after the sticker cools off, it will be almost impossible to get off, then slash it.
don't get it too hot, cause you don't want to melt the sticker.
Not true on the first part. Mine are BOTH on the three decal plate which was SECURELY fastened to the rear bumper.. (Pretty much no exceptions? is that this weeks oxymoron?)

Last edited by Rob; 08-04-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #19
mrbkkt1
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Rivet the damnned thing to the bumper... (If you have a real bumper, that is)

Not true on the first part. Mine are BOTH on the three decal plate which was SECURELY fastened to the rear bumper.. (Pretty much no exceptions? is that this weeks oxymoron?)
I did ask when i went to the recon station olast, and they said they put it on the bumper- and if you decide to move it and it gets all shitty, it's your tough luck.

i'm guessing that you might have a little more "connection", and as always, it does depend on who does the inspecting that day.
as far as I know, my all in one license plate frame/safety check bracket is still good, and i did think of getting one w/ a spot for 3, but figured i didn't need recon if i didn't drop the car, which i still haven't.
i'll cross that bridge when i get there.
Unread 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

A little humility may get you farther than you think.

If you're anything in person like you are on the 'net, I can understand the responses you get.

Unread 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #21
mrbkkt1
Brandon

that's pretty much summing up the problem w/ the whole recon/safety check system.
it's who you know.
wtf does humility have to do w/ whether or not your car is "safe" or not, or for that matter- where your sticker can be put.
for that matter, i could care less where they put the recon sticker, cause i don't need recon anyway.
i got the safety put on my plate, not because i asked anyone, but because the last sticker was on the plate.

once again, it's who you know, not what you know that will get you anywhere......
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

It's not who you know.

It's how you interact with them that makes the wheels turn.

Roll pans for example "can" be legal, if you know how. The resource however is PMVI, and because I wanted the dually legal, they were more than willing to work with me and showed me what would work, if I chose to keep the roll pan.

I elected to install a rear bumper... my choice.

Go in there with a chip on your shoulder and see what it nets you. Safety inspections can be the same way. Simply because thats where you HAD the sticker doesnt mean thats where it's supposed to be.

Heck, I'll work with the customer and allow him the opportunity to buy or make a plate before applying the stickers to the car. (But I hold the decals and the paperwork until he gets the plate)

You like to argue moot points... good for you... but there is a time and place for an argument. Figured it out yet?

Unread 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #23
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Go in there with a chip on your shoulder and see what it nets you.
i think that's pretty much common sense and goes for pretty much ANY place of business.

if i went into a restaurant, Brandon, and i didn't like my cut of meat and made a BEEG steeeenk about it, i'd expect to get the "special sauce" like that lady did in that movie "Waiting".

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #24
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

lol dude more garlic salt!! lol...

where do they sell those brackets for the bumper ? redline?
Unread 08-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #25
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
i think that's pretty much common sense and goes for pretty much ANY place of business.

if i went into a restaurant, Brandon, and i didn't like my cut of meat and made a BEEG steeeenk about it, i'd expect to get the "special sauce" like that lady did in that movie "Waiting".
Good comparison... bad picture, but good comparison.

Facebook Comments