Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Unread 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
randay
Meatball

Additional Info
Credits: 1,704.25
randay is on a distinguished road
Default recon revoked by hpd officer

i got pulled over today as i was in the middle of parking. the officer claimed that my modified my car after getting recon and then wrote me a ticket for recon, he pulled the sticker off my bumper and took my recon papers.

he said there was no way my car would pass recon. on the ticket it says basically that there is no space for travel between all tires and fender wells. this isnt even a recon item unless things have changed since i got my recon. i also asked for him to measure things but he refused.

he said if he caught me driving my car he would deem it unsafe and have it towed or whatever.

im not looking for any help legal wise or anything, you got to pick your battles and its looking like its not worthwhile. this is just the first place that pops up on google search and ive also used this section when i was getting my recon, so i want to put this out there so that people can decide for themselves if they like go through all this or just runemhard. i cant argue with those people now who say "**** recon".

in the end ill probably just try write a letter, have it rejected, and pay the ticket. but no matter how that goes i will definitely put my car back to stock and throw away all the pride and hard work i put into it. at least i wont have to wash and wax/polish it every two weeks and wipe it down every morning...

how sad is that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Drifting_In_My_Dreams
Gremlin

Additional Info

Dude that's messed up. Did he even look at your recon papers and check if everything you did to the car was listed and approved at the recon office?
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
randay
Meatball

Additional Info

he didnt check anything. i asked if he would like to measure and he refused.
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,745.03
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randay View Post
he didnt check anything. i asked if he would like to measure and he refused.
Dont be afraid to take pics and record incidents like this. It gives us and the Judge a better understanding of the situation.

Unread 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 59,432.68
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I hate recon...sorry...just hate it.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info
Credits: 2,961.61
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road

if u have alter suspension u need at least 2 inch of travel most people take that as 2inch gap.

if u didnt do any mods then u should be able to pass again recon.

take pictures of your car show the judge and get advice from the RECON office.98% of officers dont even know the whole RECON laws.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurusaibobx View Post
98% of officers dont even know the whole RECON laws.
That!!! I've heard many stories and know first hand experience how cops accuse you of something but doesnt know the law. Even had a cop say it was a state wide law and was shut D.

I'll have my truck up there soon....hopefully I wont have problems.

Unread 11-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Scubaru
Remember Thy Name

Additional Info
in the secret ninja dojo
Credits: 1,529.75
Scubaru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i got pulled over today as i was in the middle of parking. the officer claimed that my modified my car after getting recon and then wrote me a ticket for recon, he pulled the sticker off my bumper and took my recon papers.

he said there was no way my car would pass recon. on the ticket it says basically that there is no space for travel between all tires and fender wells. this isnt even a recon item unless things have changed since i got my recon. i also asked for him to measure things but he refused.

he said if he caught me driving my car he would deem it unsafe and have it towed or whatever.

im not looking for any help legal wise or anything, you got to pick your battles and its looking like its not worthwhile. this is just the first place that pops up on google search and ive also used this section when i was getting my recon, so i want to put this out there so that people can decide for themselves if they like go through all this or just runemhard. i cant argue with those people now who say "**** recon".

in the end ill probably just try write a letter, have it rejected, and pay the ticket. but no matter how that goes i will definitely put my car back to stock and throw away all the pride and hard work i put into it. at least i wont have to wash and wax/polish it every two weeks and wipe it down every morning...

how sad is that.
I have to ask this question...

Did you modify your car after you got recon?
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
randay
Meatball

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru View Post
I have to ask this question...

Did you modify your car after you got recon?
i didnt, but thats not really the point. the cop didnt check with any of my documentation which lists measurements and everything. he just revoked it based on his own opinion. even if the recon rules changed or if my shocks were damaged and my ride hieght was wrong or whatever, as long as he checked it i would be fine with getting revoked.

basically the permit saying that my car was ok and all the documented information proving it was ignored.

why go through the trouble of getting recon papers and having all that stuff written down if thats case?
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
REH
Big Surf

Additional Info
Kapolei, Hawaii
Credits: 2,013.33
REH is on a distinguished road

This is really messed up. Obviously this cop took matters in his own hands when he confiscated your papers and removed a State approved decal from your car. Your ticket should have an option to show up in court or just pay. I would go the court way, that way you can give your side of the story (the cop being in the wrong) to the judge.
Unread 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Scubaru
Remember Thy Name

Additional Info
in the secret ninja dojo
Credits: 1,529.75
Scubaru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i didnt, but thats not really the point. the cop didnt check with any of my documentation which lists measurements and everything. he just revoked it based on his own opinion. even if the recon rules changed or if my shocks were damaged and my ride hieght was wrong or whatever, as long as he checked it i would be fine with getting revoked.

basically the permit saying that my car was ok and all the documented information proving it was ignored.

why go through the trouble of getting recon papers and having all that stuff written down if thats case?
Well, it was a good thing that you added all of this in your original post so that I didn't have to make my assumption that you modified your car after getting your recon. If you are not going to fight it because obviously you are right, there really isn't any reason to continue this.
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

If you're in the right, man...fight it!
Unread 11-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Who was the officer?...

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
chromewarrior555
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,590.30
chromewarrior555 is on a distinguished road

Yea I would have got his name, and badge number. I don't think he was in the right scraping that sticker off.
Unread 11-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Yeah, does it say on the ticket?
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Without a copy of his recon paperwork, it will be hard to prove if the cop was in the wrong yanking the stickers or even if his recon was fradulent. Since his paperwork is gone he will have to go to recon and either get a copy or repeat the process again.

Unread 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #17
randay
Meatball

Additional Info

went to court, judge ruled in favor of state. apparently cops are allowed to revoke your recon permit arbitrarily without checking any of the many things listed on the recon permit paper. either that or judges are just as clueless about recon as everyone else. **** recon, **** my car, **** everything, **** the world.
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,618.95
laguna80 is on a distinguished road

Hey I know it sucks. Any chance to appeal the decision? I wouldn't think that police would be able to take anyone's paperwork. That's tantamount to a cop taking someone's safety inspection paperwork and sticker because they had something wrong with their lights or something. Otherwise, just take a deep breath, count to ten, then call up recon and make another appointment. Just be cool about everything when you talk to them. Tell them the situation and when you go in make sure everything is within the recon limits. Let us know how it goes. Any pics of your ride? Nothing better than putting a face (in this case a car) to a name.
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #19
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

x2, appeal it if you feel you were in the wrong and have a lot of free time. If you can get a duplicate of your original copy, have recon recertify your car with the same shit as the first time, then go back to the judge and give it to um. Best you're probably gonna get is no need pay ticket...but its fun to **** with the state and show them they're wrong.

Unread 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
laguna80
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,618.95
laguna80 is on a distinguished road

Hey that's true! Shouldn't recon have the original paperwork that you filled out to get the sticker?
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Recon should have it on file if its been recently done, heck, theyre the only station on Oahu certified to do it.. Head of PMVI told us we needed to keep our paperwork on file for 2 years, not sure if thats the law and if it would be the same for recon.
Im guessing you had the vehicle inspected before with recon. If you did, then on your two copies of the safety check, theyres a checklist on the top half. On the far right, there is recon. On any modified car on Oahu, they should have marked it Applied. If you didnt have a recon but needed it, they would mark it Defected and when you got recon, they would mark it corrected and then also mark applied. That will show that you didnt pass safety because you needed recon(defected), you got recon(corrected), and now it is passable(applied). If you didnt have recon last time your car was inspected, you may be shit out of luck.
Again, if you feel you were NOT in the wrong, and all the State of Hawaii/County of Oahu paperwork match up, then there is no need that you should owe the state money and it will also show that the officer was in the wrong. The State of Hawaii has to prove you're guilty of the infraction, but in my experience, they will not go as far as that. Get your paperwork in order, if it shows they were wrong, go down and appeal it. Let me know how this goes harry.

Unread 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
randay
Meatball

Additional Info

the reason why the cop did this was because he himself got a ticket for recon. hes angry and i know this for a fact because now i am angry too. whenever i see another modified car i get pissed off. i look for a recon sticker on their bumper. if someone takes something you love from you and you see someone else with something similiar you will be jealous. you will be mad.

as far as the ticket i dont give a shit about the 70 dollar fine. i wanted my car back. i wanted my permit returned to me. but in reality there is no way for that to happen. you have to sue the city. and in the end you will probably just end up a marked man.

the recon rules that you can download from the hawaii gov website is from 1986, but it is the most current version and in the paper there is a section for cancelling, suspending, and reinstating recon permits. they are supposed to give you a hearing and 30 day notice via certified mail. there is no way in hell that the cop was right in taking my permit, even if he did reconcile the permit with my car measurements and had proof.

the only real way to get my permit back is to go through the whole process again. which means an alignment and another inspection. and that does nothing to stop the cops from screwing you again.

i would just drive around without a permit and pay recon tickets whenever i get them, except the cop will tow your car if you do this.

the reality is that as long as i live in hawaii i will never drive a modified car ever again.

it doesnt matter what is right and what is wrong. what matters is how the world works.
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
ChroniC588
Linux is Awesome

Additional Info
Hoboken, NJ
Wii Friend Code: I eat Food
Credits: 16,458.40
ChroniC588 is on a distinguished road

Might be for the best. You probably will spend thousands to make a 4-banger stock import gain a few extra hp and all you end up doing is driving a car every grandmother and their grandson drives to Costco.

Whereas a few thousand more would buy you one of many nice street legal rides. Bypass recon, bypass problems with police and enjoy driving again.

There are plenty of used cars below 30k that are incredible and fun:

BMW M3
BMW Z4
Porsche Boxster
Honda S2000
Nissan 350Z

------------
Bottomline...sometimes life throws you a lemon...just turn it into an inline-six.

Quote:
Never Surrender

Last edited by ChroniC588; 01-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,854.60
Act162this is on a distinguished road

ayup.

i can understand people's passion for modifying things, but sometimes it's almost not worth it when faced with a no-win situation.

HPD is not always informed about current recon laws, etc... it depends on the officer.

my mother was pulled over for the exhaust on her maxima (Apex'i WS on otherwise stock maxima) and the officer threatened to give her a ticket for the exhaust. she explained to him that exhaust was not a recon item, and that the work was done by a reputable exhaust shop and the car never failed to pass safety inspection. he reluctantly let her go.

technically, she was correct, but if it went to court, it would be up to the judge and some of them are just as clueless about recon laws as some officers. i would prefer that it did not go to court, because that would be a crapshoot.
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #25
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,679.90
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Just gotta forget about the "cosmtic" side of modding. Stealth, or "stock-appearance" is the way to do it now. Mod the driveline/suspension (don't lift or drop), quiet the exhaust as much as possible. leave the outside alone. All-go...no-show.

Facebook Comments