Race World Hawaii The official forum for Race World Hawaii - Home of Box Car & R/C Racing!

Unread 01-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna
Additional Info

Credits: 9,477.20
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road
Default Race World Hawaii likely closing

Well guys I have some bad news. It looks like RWH will be closing soon. The city has sent ABCRI a 30 day notice to vacate the premises. There could be a chance to get the city to change its mind...but the new management is likely pulling out as well and without their financial backing ABCRI can not afford to keep the facility open even if they could get the city to change its mind. So unless some miracle happens the facility will be closing down soon.

I do no yet know what the future holds for RC on-road racing in Hawaii. I hope we can continue in some form somewhere. If we can I will hold our next race as scheduled but it will likely be the last for some time. I would ask that all racers e-mail me at Burt@teamapexrc.com with their contact information so that if we can get the program going again I can let you all know. I also need to know if anyone has the room and ability to transport and store the vaccuum and the sprayer until such time that a racing program can be re-established.

Below is the e-mail that went out to track supporters:

WE DO NOT ACCEPT THIS 30 DAY NOTICE FROM THE CITY. WE HAVE TOLD CITY OFFICALS WE WANT TO CONTINUE TO OPERATE. WE HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN ANY MEANINGFUL RESPONSE. HAS THE CITY CONSIDERED THE YOUTH AND FAMILIES ON OAHU WHO HAVE FEW FAMILY FRIENDLY / AFFORDABLE OPTIONS....? WE DON'T THINK SO. PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ANY INTERESTED PARTIES.
WHY DOES THE CITY WANT TO KILL BOX CARS...?
The City is refusing to renew the contract with American Box Car Racing International (ABCRI) for the box car facility in Kunia) which will effectively kill organized box car activities on Oahu (ABCRI is a local nonprofit organization / aka Race World Hawaii, a dba of ABCRI)
The City has offered no reason for its decision
The City has given ABCRI no opportunity to redress whatever issues may be outstanding
ABCRI did fall behind in its rent in 2013-2014
ABCRI did catch up on its rent in November 2014
ABCRI is in full compliance with its current contract with the City
ABCRI PROGRAM
ABCRI provides a family-friendly environment for youth to learn and families to bond
ABCRI's program fees are below ABCRI’s operating costs to make the facility available to as many people as possible
ABCRI has served more than 200,000 people at its Kunia facility since 2005 and more than 350,000 people in its 19 year history

ABCRI BACKGROUND

ABCRI entered into a Public-Private partnership with the City in 2004 to develop the Kunia facility
ABCRI has successfully developed a million dollar facility on City property at no cost to the City
ABCRI has served youth and families on Oahu for more than 19 years (at multiple sites) at no cost to the City
In 2010 the City declared ABCRI was not a Public-Private partnership and raised ABCRI expenses substantially (from nominal rent to an annual cost of about $18,000)
This cost increase highly stressed ABCRI’s financial model of community-first pricing
ABCRI struggled to both meet the City demands and weather our nation’s economic downturn, which led to falling behind in rent in 2013 and 2014...but now we are current in our rent/other obligations to the City.

THIS IS AN UNCONSCIONABLE ACTION TAKEN IN THE SHADOWS BY THE CITY & COUNTY OF HONOLULU.
THE LOSERS ARE THE FAMILIES ON OAHU.
BC Cowling cell 382-5653
ABCRI Executive Director and Board member

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Teramoto, Glen <gteramoto@honolulu.gov> wrote:

Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:41 PM
To: 'bx@boxcarracing.org'
Cc: Kubota, Tracy; Iwamuro, Garrick K.; Wright, Charlian
Subject: 30-Day Notice

To: Mr. Robert Cowling

American Box Car Racing International

1518 Evelyn Lane

Honolulu, Hawaii 96822

Mr. Cowling:

Please see attached letter that was regular mailed to you today.

Also, please confirm receipt of this email.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Glen Teramoto

City and County of Honolulu

Dept. of Budget and Fiscal Services

Purchasing Divison

Email: gteramoto@honolulu.gov

Phone: (808) 768-3789
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Facebook Comments