Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > Moloka'i

Moloka'i The Friendly Isle

Unread 12-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
tomuse
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,642.45
tomuse is on a distinguished road
Default my first thread

molokai,
tell me about the place and the people...
I am very intersted in the place...
i may visit there within the following year or two if my interests grow...
there is a farm I may work at, etc.!

so let me know about this island
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,692.53
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

what exactly did you want to know?
besides the usual google facts that you can find?
awaits for response...
(especially from HeeHaw our HT moloka'i expert...)

congrats on your first thread!!!
great subject to have chosen

misc idio facts on moloka'i

one of the smaller (if not the smallest) inhabited (by human folk) island of the Hawai'ian chain
i'm sure it will definately have the 'small town' feel
which to me will include generous hospitality and most likely animals on the loose (gentle dogs, wild chickens, etc)
it'll be perfect if you like 'country'
country = slower pace of life
if country isn't, you'd be bored out of your mind.

tis an island that i have yet to visit (my trip got cancelled last minute )
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,175.05
Act162this is on a distinguished road

umm.

gas is expensive.

they have an excellent bakery, where you can get the freshest baked bread short of baking it yourself.

i would fish every day if i was there.
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Hi tomuse,

I'm glad you are interested in what's up on the island of Molokai.

First and foremost, it is definitely the "small town" island. Meaning, you either do one of two things.

--You integrate into the community, get involved with civic events and community happenings and the pulse of life here, which is SLOOOOOW.....

--Or, you live a life aloof of the mainstream, basically those that do have large, estate-type of homes, and their only interaction with the local people is the occasional foray into town for goods, etc. Most of these people are part-time residents (snowbirds from the Mainland), or have the means to travel to Honolulu or to Maui to spend time with non-brown people.

There are 8,000 people on Molokai. We also have some of the highest prices of goods and services anywhere, mainly because of the cost to ship and fly things like milk, bulk bread, and grocery goods from outside in. What would cost you $40 in Honolulu would very likely cost close to $50-60 here. Many folks take the ferry boat to Maui (not superferry), and make a day of buying things to bring back at the end of the day.

Molokai has the highest per capita of native Hawaiian people, and they are very protective of the island from excessive development (that is, huge subdivisions, shopping malls, big-box stores, etc.). We have no traffic lights here. All roads are two-lane (some are one lane only). No buildings over three stories.

But we also have the highest unemployment rate in Hawaii. Unfortunately, that also means that we are among the highest government assistance receivers in the state also. Many current-generation Molokai people aren't, or won't, take to task the privileges lent them to "work" their homestead land (which was given in 20-40 acre parcels) to feed and provide for their subsistence, and to a degree, export agricultural income, and much of those lands are fallow and unused.

The hope of Molokai, from what I see, would be eco-tourism. Tourism based on the islands natural beauty rather than gimmicks and superficial glitz.

If you seek exciting night life, action, hot babes and lifestyles of the beautiful people, 24 hour movement, and ritzy joints, Molokai is NOT for you. If you're into fishing, hunting, working the ground, natural beauty, farming, and a pace of life where no one is in a bloody hurry to get anywhere, if you don't think of trying to impress the neighbors but choose to help them, Molokai MIGHT be a place to consider.

But you ought to visit first. Then think it over VERY carefully. It isn't an easy life. But it is a life that many choose to undertake.

That's just scraping the surface. www.visitmolokai.com I think was the site to check out.
Unread 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
tomuse
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,642.45
tomuse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic
what exactly did you want to know?
besides the usual google facts that you can find?
anything about the island that someone on ht can tell me....
if it filled up numerous pages I would be satisfied

Hee_Haw,
Yeah, I already know where to find the clubs on the isles...if I wanted to party in the HI...or in general just head down 85 to the atl or augusta ...mucho grande parties or or ....me I keep it cool...staying in my realm where I am the strongest...so a slow pace is cool to me... I do not mind Hon.'s pace either...
I am thinking Molokai would be top on my list to visit because of the low population high open air land...yielding healing herbs and plants...and yeah if I meet talkative locals..I am going to sit down and talk...like a duke being invited into to a kings kingdom...no doubt about it!
I already have seen the site yet I'll take some more detailed leers..

What are the options do I have to get to Molokai....you said there is a ferry that docks at Maui and Molokai..the superferry...how about airport or would I have to fly to Maui's closes port...then from there the ferry. how much is the ferry: it can't be to much...and where does it land on Molokai
two burning questions
what jobs are numerous there: I have read and it has been stated that the job front is near 0 yet what fields are most people in other than the basic tourism (hotel, agents)!
are scooter or mopeds not present or hard to find?

Last edited by tomuse; 12-23-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
turbolence75
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 2,962.68
turbolence75 is on a distinguished road

I used to work at Molokai General every other week from this past September. Coming from me, it was kinda a shock to see how the town was small, everything closing so early, and the prices for everything. There is pretty much nothing to do at night....no nightlife at all, unless you go to someone's house to hang out, drink, or whatever. I'm a city nightlife guy, so I was bored after I was done work at 8PM. But what Kyle said, if you're in to the outdoors, country setting....then Molokai is the place for you.

The thing I loved is that everyone knows everyone and everyone is soo friendly. From what I experienced, if you want to experience the spirit of aloha, go to Molokai. The first day I flew in, people were asking how I was and saying hi. I don't usually smile so I have a mean look on my face. So random people saying hi to me first shocked me.

There are regular flights in and out of Molokai, so getting there will be no problem. I flew there from Oahu. I know there are regular flights going to Maui, and the Big Island.

Rotary Empire of Oahu Prefecture
#1 Legend of Extremely Fast Competition for Touge and Wangan Racing

Facebook Comments