Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Drag Racing

Drag Racing General Drag Racing Discussion

Unread 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default 1/8 Mile Drag Racing

I did a search on HT, and it was mentioned in passing, along with some memories of some days gone by (draggin' at Sandy Beach; I was there the week before "The Flea" rolled his Bug racing my friend and his '32 coupe, and couple weeks before the kid got killed racing there, basically ending the whole Sandy's racing phenomenon).

But what about 1/8 mile drag racing? They do it a lot on the mainland.

I remember seeing old ads in National Dragster about, for example, "'70 Chevelle, run's mid-9s on street tires", (this was back in the day when cars weren't running 9s in the quarter on street tires), and I thought , "WTF"? Then it said it ran the 1/8 mile.

But a 1/8 mile track would necessitate less space overall, and on a decent size property you could still do a road race course integrated into it, yeah?

About performance... do any of you know if you have to make drastic changes to gearing, transmissions, etc.? What about suspension setups, would you have to tweak it differently for 1/4 and 1/8 mile tracks?

Most street cars, I assume you can just run what you bring... kind of like the old Sandy Beach/ Lagoon Drive days.

I know that the 1/4 has been the benchmark for drag racing forever (at least for me it has), but I was just thinking out loud and wondered what the rest of you, more experienced drag racers think. Might be a solution? Or not.
Unread 01-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 59,405.93
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Yepz...thing is, some people don't like 1/8th. I imagine most people don't have to change much...it's the serious folks that do.
Unread 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,772.55
kombi731 has disabled reputation

some ppl that are in it for fun like 1/8's cause others don't. What I mean is they go down there in the evening and do 20 passes in 3 hours or so. I know someone that does that in TN. I dunno a lot of launches but then again lots of practice
Unread 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 8,887.85
Udrivecrap has disabled reputation

i'm not very experienced in the drag racing scene.. i'm a noob.

but, i do know that if you want to maximize your time at a 1/8 track and you have a drag car, you'll need to make some adjustments to the rear gear setup and possibly the suspension. and if you have electronics and nitrous, you might neet to adjust where you have those things set. though the launching would be the same, its the gear that you don't need because its half the distance. i would think

besides, if you setup for a 1/8 mile here and you go outer island to a 1/4 mile... then what? you would have to decide which track you will dial in for throughout the season.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
ikeyballz

Additional Info

hahaha, why not go 1/2 mile! that would be sweet. lolz 18-20 seconds? idk..who knows that'd be wicked.. 20 seconds @ 170~ lol

Unread 01-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

now, wouldn't it be cool to be able to cruise down to Kalaeloa and hit up both 1/4 and 1/8 mile tracks in one night with some friends?

i'm not talking about trying to save the old Hawaii Raceway Park. i'm talking about the temporary dirt track with plans to build a 1/8 mile and the effort from the old park owners to buildthetrack on parcel 9... if those both were to happen, wouldn't it be nice?
Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
ikeyballz

Additional Info

thatd be sweet. i really really want to race at least once.. back when they had a track i had an automagic firebird..that was slow

now i have a manual camaro thats slow, but i wanna track it at least once so i dont have to say..
'idk.. ' when im asked

Unread 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
paulpattonproduction
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Default 1/8 mile Action

If you want to see some kick but 1/8 mile action from the mainland visit paulpattonproduction.blogspot.com over 50 videos to watch. We have some great action here in Arkansas. or do a search on google for paulpattonproduction
Unread 04-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
DGGM9D6SS
Breaker

Additional Info
Credits: 1,387.65
DGGM9D6SS is on a distinguished road

Changing your car from 1/4 to 1/8th does take alot, actually. Your set up is different, your tire size, gearing also will change. The average street guy probably won't do much, but the big racers will, and that's no good. Brackets would be a whole new ball game that we'd have to learn. Although, I'd take 1/8 mile racing cuz it's better than nothing, but once we settle, settling is all we'll ever get. The politicians in this town prove that every day.

On the plus size, an 1/8th mile would get the Juniors back to racing, and that would override my wants anyday of the week, and twice on Sundays, so if an opportunity comes up for that, I'd support it. My daughter was just 2 when the track closed... if there is nothing built by the time she is eligible for Juniors (she's 5 now), I'll be a pretty pissed off Papa.

Autocrosser - Drag Racer - Road Racer - Daily Driver

Autocross! You're doing it wrong!
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

yeah, that seems to be the general sentiment among the drag racing peeps, though i'm not sure how many of the hardcore guys will change their setups.

for them, i guess racing on kauai, big island and maui, then coming home to a 1/8 is like ahhhhhhhh.... and those racers are your spectator attractors.. the big guns, flashy, wow factor, stuff people spend what looks like $100,000 on their toys... all john force action.

KRP can't fit a full 1/4 mile, an 1/8 would be great especially for jr.drags. folks here are used to a full 1/4 and that's what they "want"... "need" on the other hand is a different thing. racetrack developers have alot to consider when it comes to multi-purpose facilities.
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGM9D6SS
Changing your car from 1/4 to 1/8th does take alot, actually. Your set up is different, your tire size, gearing also will change. The average street guy probably won't do much, but the big racers will, and that's no good. Brackets would be a whole new ball game that we'd have to learn. Although, I'd take 1/8 mile racing cuz it's better than nothing, but once we settle, settling is all we'll ever get. The politicians in this town prove that every day.

On the plus size, an 1/8th mile would get the Juniors back to racing, and that would override my wants anyday of the week, and twice on Sundays, so if an opportunity comes up for that, I'd support it. My daughter was just 2 when the track closed... if there is nothing built by the time she is eligible for Juniors (she's 5 now), I'll be a pretty pissed off Papa.
Bolded for truth.

I was watchin' some YouTubes of 1/8 mile action; boy, some of those launches are pretty violent! I suppose because you have that much less ground to play "catch up", the launch must be pretty vital in 1/8 mile drags. I was surprised that some of those cars are hitting 140 mph plus (the ones that run under 5 seconds) in HALF the distance of a 1/4 mile track!

I could imagine brackets must be a whole new ball game to play; I think slug cars (like mine) would have a better chance of winning since the "catch up" factor is even more crucial for the faster cars that leave later.

I'm so far away and out of the loop on drag racing nowadays, but I sure want to see the racers be able to get their engines fired up, and I'd love to smell tire smoke and "that rebuilt engine smell" (I always remembered that smell @ the track) again...I wonder how the majority of racers would feel about "settling" for 1/8 mile?
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

now that just sounds silly.. lol

have you ever met a drag racer that is willing to "settle" for anything? haha.. you can still keep track of the local drag racers in hawaii. i thought it was in that other thread but here it is ---> www.islandracer.com check out what each island is doing or trying to do photos, results, links... you'll love it.
Unread 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
onederful100
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,458.55
onederful100 is on a distinguished road

1/4 mile, 1/8 mile. it's like women. i'll take what i can get, i'm not picky. just let me run my mustang all out is what i want.

2007 GT 5spd
1992 LX 5.0
whipple crew member
My car
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
DGGM9D6SS
Breaker

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederful100 View Post
1/4 mile, 1/8 mile. it's like women. i'll take what i can get, i'm not picky. just let me run my mustang all out is what i want.

Then bring your car out to autocross, ya big sissy! Unless you need me to show you how to use that round thing you rest your hands on in front of you when you drive...

LOL

Unread 04-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Heheh...I'm hoping that more and more people will look into the alternatives to drag racing in this downtime. Uh...even though there's only autocross at the moment. It would help to add a bit more vitality to the other forms of racing that were sorely neglected when HRP was open.
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
DGGM9D6SS
Breaker

Additional Info

I don't see YOU down there, either, Import Boy. Race ya!

Unread 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Yeaaaaah...can I borrow your car? I don't think a Mazda 5 minivan would be a good idea.
Unread 05-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
DGGM9D6SS
Breaker

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Yeaaaaah...can I borrow your car? I don't think a Mazda 5 minivan would be a good idea.
We've let Dodge Rams and Jeep Cherokees run... don't see why a Mazda 5 wouldn't make it. besides, don't you have a Subaru something, or an RX8?

Unread 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

WRX is sold. RX7 is still sitting in my garage needing some work done. Gaaar. I'm more concerned with building a track to race on that racing itself at the moment.

Facebook Comments