Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Plasti-dip on Vehicles

Anyone else try it?

I used black plasti-dip (spray cans) on my truck's fender flares (see garage picture for what it look like). The original color was the factory red, but when I got the truck, it had been worn/ sun faded/ dinged up here and there. I had wanted to try doing the whole truck in gray or black, but decided to try the fenders first with spray cans to see how it would look. Used one can per side (2 flares per can, 4 coats).
Came out pretty good! It even covers over some minor paint defects (scrapes and pits). Not hard to keep clean, just a wipe with an animal skin chamois (not the artificial or terry cloth towels as it tends to "stick" to the dipped areas). And when it scraped and peeled a bit, I just trimmed off the loose part, sprayed over, and voila! like new.

Mike, I know you did a feature car (a Hyundai I think) that was dipped in a splatter/chameleon type color. Who did that one? I was wondering if there was a local carrier of bulk dip that we can buy at retail (besides ordering from DipMyCar dot com). Still might do my truck in light gray or white (gray might look like primer or the side of a battleship LOL )

If you haven't dipped your car, you should at least try it on your emblems to "black them out". It's a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Unread 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,348.70
Act162this is on a distinguished road

nah, just flat black. rims, grills, body, everything... just murder it out (kinda like the flat black primer "rat rod" look).

if you don't mind the extra weight but want something more durable... bed liner the thing (it actually doesn't look so bad).

when we get my wife a new truck i think i'm going to lava line her T4R for that "road warrior" look and put on some body armor.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,742.82
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

always thought about doing some parts…just too lazy.

if you have blemishes, scratches, clear coat peeling..and you "dip" it, will it soak under and possibly ruin the paint when you remove it?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by udown4sum4wheelin View Post
always thought about doing some parts…just too lazy.

if you have blemishes, scratches, clear coat peeling..and you "dip" it, will it soak under and possibly ruin the paint when you remove it?

Good question!

The places I dipped I don't intend to peel away....yet.

My hood and side mirrors have the clear coat peeling away and flaking...I will dip those and may try peeling away to see the impact it makes.

There's a YouTube video where they dipped an entire car with bad paint; the test car had some clear dip that had to be "peeled" away before the new color could be applied. The paint that the dip was over actually looked better than the undipped area, as though "dead" paint came off with the dip. I will look for the video.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Unread 06-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Go to 1:30 on the video.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Unread 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

co-worker just sprayed his rims w/ plasti dip. he said it took about four cans (one per rim).
he said it came out okay, a little bubbling here and there, but could've been technique.
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,742.82
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

I bought plasti dip for the bottom 4"s of my rocker panels so ill try it out. I may even do the faces of my rims but kinda wondering if it may throw it off balance

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by udown4sum4wheelin View Post
I bought plasti dip for the bottom 4"s of my rocker panels so ill try it out. I may even do the faces of my rims but kinda wondering if it may throw it off balance
For the amount of dip that goes on the rim, I honestly don't think so...if it's for your truck rims I think that factor is reduced even more considering the rotating mass of your truck tires. my uneducated opinion, of course.
Unread 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
For the amount of dip that goes on the rim, I honestly don't think so...if it's for your truck rims I think that factor is reduced even more considering the rotating mass of your truck tires. my uneducated opinion, of course.
Co-worker that spray plasti-dipped his rims said he did not need to re-balance them after four coats of plasti-dip sprayed on (rattle can job).

Facebook Comments