Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Closed Thread
Unread 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 18,090.93
lois is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Basic Recon Information Here

recon # 733-2542

the recon fee is $15, exact change! no credit cards

M-F by APPOINTMENT ONLY

alignment --you need an alignment printout, dated within 30 days of recon appt. and must be within manufacturers' specs.

yes, they will test your tint (BE LEGAL 35% +/- 6% )
tint on windshield--illegal
SUVs, trucks, vans, can have as dark tint as they want rearward of the driver's and passenger's front side windows, as long as it is NOT opaque

affidavits for rims and exhaust no longer required

recon required for rim sized 1-1/2" over stock.

body kits are not a recon item
spoilers are not a recon item
no recon required for EXHAUST ONLY

the decal plates for safety check stickers and recon stickers are illegal if mounted on or attached to the license plate

no clear-corner lenses, blue lights, or license plate covers allowed

latest:

update: as of June 9th, 2008, wheels over/undersized over 1.5", NO LONGER A RECON ITEM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
while this is outdated, this is the only online document available regarding recon:

http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/...024%201986.pdf

there have been many many changes since this was printed so it is best to call 733-2542 during business hours if you have questions. or post questions here.

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Last edited by lois; 07-25-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Unread 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Some things to add:

Front marker lights must have amber reflectors. Rears must have red.

Remember that the basis for recon is FMVSS and not some BS pulled out of someones ass.

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Thumbs up

the interview that was saved from FH...thank gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crj341
I've heard a lot of contradictory information from friends, etc, so I decided to go to the source and call the recon office. I talked to Kevin down at the recon office about what mods you can and cant do, and of those which ones require recon. I hope this will clear up the misinformation that you might have heard and help you plan your next or current project and not be dissappointed cuz you didn't pass.

Do I need to get recon for a turbo/supercharger?
No. Whether it comes as a kit or you put it together yourself, you can legally put a turbo/supercharger on your car and DO NOT have to get recon. However if you have to get recon for one of the reasons below, just make a note of the turbo/supercharger.

Are engine swaps legal, and do I need to get recon for it?
That depends. Yes engine swaps are legal, but that does not necessessarily mean you have to get recon. If the engine you are swapping in has the same number of cylinders as the one it is replacing, recon is NOT required. It doesn't matter if the engine you are swapping in is turbocharged. For instance, you want to swap a SR20DET into your 240sx. This does not require recon. However, if you want to swap a RB26DETT into your 240sx, you WILL need recon.

Can I put on rims bigger than 1.5" compared with stock?
Yes, but you will have to get recon. You can go as big as you want to, but the wheels have to be able to turn and not rub the fenders or wheel well when turned.

Do I have to get recon for my headers/exhaust/intake?
No. These are not recon items. And even if you did, any intake/exhaust will likely pass as long as the exhaust isn't too loud (they don't have any DB meters down there, they just listen to it). If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter, you will still need a cat, but you can use an aftermarket high flow type and still not need recon.

Can body kits/panels/hoods be installed?
Yes, and you don't need recon. One caveat here though, if your fiberglass/carbon fiber hood does not have provisions for windshield washer nozzels and you don't put them in, you would not pass safety, let alone recon.

Are coilovers/lowering springs legal?
That depends. Any time you have suspension work done to your car, you will have to get recon. You will need to have an alignment done within 30 days prior to your recon inspection. Make sure you bring a copy of the alignment sheet with you. Your suspension must be able to be aligned within stock specifications. Your car will also be subjected to a "bounce test" to check for adequate suspension travel. They typically test this at a front corner by pushing down on the bumper. You need to have VISIBLE (not necessarily 2 inches) of suspension travel. If your springs are too stiff, you will likely not pass.

Are headlight/tail light swaps/conversions legal?
no

Are clear corner lights legal?
No. The lights MUST have an orange reflector at the front corners and corresponding red reflectors at the rear. This is a FEDERAL LAW. Simply putting in an orange bulb DOES NOT make it legal. Most of these aftermarket lights do not have DOT on them, and therefore would not pass anyway. If you modify a DOT corner light by taking the orange reflector out, it is NO LONGER DOT legal.

Can I run nitrous?
No, and it can't be made legal by going through recon. If you did have to get recon for suspension mods, and they happened to find a nitrous line or bottle, you will fail.

Can I change my car from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive?
Yes, but you will need to go through recon as this will require modification of the vehicle's suspension. If you did a hack job with the conversion and the inspector deems your car unsafe, then you won't pass.

If there's a version of the car with a different drivetrain, can I use it?
Yes. If the car came from the factory with the option of a manual or automatic transmission, you can swap one for the other without getting recon. You could also do a 4 wheel drive conversion on your 2 wheel drive truck if there was a 4 wheel drive version of your truck from the factory, provided the parts bolt in without requiring custom fabrication. If custom suspension mounts need to be made, or you use aftermarket suspension components, then you need recon.

Are intake manifolds/cams, pistons, etc legal?
Yes, and you don't need recon. There's no smog testing in Hawaii, so you don't need an affadavit showing that the part is 50 state legal. But be aware that if it says "off road use only" on any of the parts, and the inspector sees it, you will likely not pass recon even if you were trying to get it for something else.

Do I need an affidavit for all of my modifications?
No. Affadavits are no longer required.

Do I have to get a recon inspection every year?
No. It's a one time only thing UNLESS you mod your car again. If you do, then you need to get another inspection. If you return your car to stock again, you no longer need the recon sticker.

If a cop pulls me over saying I need to get recon even though I don't have any recon items on my car, what happens?
If you got pulled over for a non recon item, you can contest the ticket in court and you will win. Kevin says many of the cops don't have a good handle on the recon law themselves. Keep in mind though, if you already have recon and do another mod to your car that requires recon, then you need to get another recon inspection. If the cop nails you on something you just installed, then you're SOL.

Hopefully this will clear up a lot of the BS that has been floating around. If anyone has any questions about a modification, it is in your best interest to call the recon office (733-2542) and speak to an inspector BEFORE you spend the time and money. As you can see, you can do a lot of mods to your car and not need recon. But if your mod requires it, make sure your mod will be able to pass by reading the thread.

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Last edited by lois; 08-26-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

oops the headlight stuff is no longer valid. it's been deleted

Last edited by lois; 04-29-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
mrbkkt1
Brandon

Lois, add on tint below the as1 line on the windshield is illegal, above it, it's the same 30% rule. and if people gotta ask what the hell the as1 line is...... oh well.
Unread 06-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info
Credits: 3,149.14
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road

i thought the headlamp rule was 22inches? from the center or bottom? or did the do away with it...i havent be paying attention .....
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
freeride
runs ok

Additional Info
Town
Credits: 4,075.66
freeride is on a distinguished road

yes

Quote:
Are coilovers/lowering springs legal?
That depends. Any time you have suspension work done to your car, you will have to get recon. You will need to have an alignment done within 30 days prior to your recon inspection. Make sure you bring a copy of the alignment sheet with you. Your suspension must be able to be aligned within stock specifications. Your car will also be subjected to a "bounce test" to check for adequate suspension travel. They typically test this at a front corner by pushing down on the bumper. You need to have VISIBLE (not necessarily 2 inches) of suspension travel. If your springs are too stiff, you will likely not pass.

Found Change... It was under my car seat on the adjustment track.
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,743.90
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
the interview that was saved from FH...thank gawd
Do I have to get recon for my headers/exhaust/intake?
No. These are not recon items. And even if you did, any intake/exhaust will likely pass as long as the exhaust isn't too loud (they don't have any DB meters down there, they just listen to it). If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter, you will still need a cat, but you can use an aftermarket high flow type and still not need recon.

That's why we have so many cars/trucks/bikes running around with loud exhausts.
It's not until the engine is under load that the sound gets ridiculously loud.

Plus someone should at least print up a booklet so everyone would have some idea of what will and will not pass...or do they have one already?
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

No... there are so many ongoing changes as they try to catch-up with the times, a printed manual would not be reasonable...

Unread 12-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

HAHAHA!

IBTL

Unread 12-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,743.90
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
No... there are so many ongoing changes as they try to catch-up with the times, a printed manual would not be reasonable...
Make a "basic" manual (some things rarely change), and make yearly updates on the things that do?
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider
Make a "basic" manual (some things rarely change), and make yearly updates on the things that do?

Thats what title 19 is for...

Unread 06-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

update: as of June 9th, 2008, wheels over/undersized over 1.5", NO LONGER A RECON ITEM.

they will however, still be noted on the recon paper and any changes to tire sizes can still be a cause for revocation of your recon permit if the size is not updated to reflect any changes.

Unread 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,540.13
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

On the rims... say I have a base model running 15", yet another version of this model runs 16"... can I run 17" rims? and still not get recon? It's basically only 1"? from the 16" (although 2" from mine)???... I've always wondered about this.
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 06-26-2008, 04:29 AM   #15
cloudel
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,520.00
cloudel is on a distinguished road

ok here's da 411 i was deciding on swapping an sr20 to my 240sx but after extended research i've decided to go with the rb series..more like the rb25det. and so here is my question..
no smog test here in hawaii right?
i can swap this rb25 as long as i have recon right?
as far as getting a recon do i get 1 before or after the swap?

greatly appriciated.....cloudel
Unread 06-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley

talking sr20 and rb25det to me = talking Greek to me.

is the rb25det something that came in a 240 sx?

or is stock something like an R2D2 unit???

also, i am going to change this to another thread, i don't want you guys cluttering up the Basi Recon thread.

i'm going to close it, unless i need to add stuff.

Closed Thread

Facebook Comments