Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #26
Rob
Big Kahuna
 
Rob's Avatar
Additional Info
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurusaibobx
lol dude more garlic salt!! lol...

where do they sell those brackets for the bumper ? redline?
Carquest carries them, I believe some NAPA stores as well as Ron's
__________________
New Ride pictures:

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #27
Act162this
PW Aficionado
 
Act162this's Avatar
Additional Info
Credits: 9,770.50
Act162this is on a distinguished road
Default

are you talking about the right angle, under-bumper mounts? i've seen them at eurosport and i think matco. i think they only come with double-stick tape, though. they come in widths for two or three stickers (recon).

or... you could buy a piece of angle aluminum and make your own. you could make a couple, keep one, and sell the rest and that would pretty much pay for the piece of aluminum.
__________________
"wide open till you see God, brake when you see Elvis".
Act162this is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #28
Rob
Big Kahuna
 
Rob's Avatar
Additional Info
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
are you talking about the right angle, under-bumper mounts? i've seen them at eurosport and i think matco. i think they only come with double-stick tape, though. they come in widths for two or three stickers (recon).

or... you could buy a piece of angle aluminum and make your own. you could make a couple, keep one, and sell the rest and that would pretty much pay for the piece of aluminum.
the new ones dont even come with the tape... cheapo bastages.
__________________
New Ride pictures:

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #29
xurusaibobx
Gun
 
xurusaibobx's Avatar
Additional Info
Credits: 2,873.78
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
Default

rob where u picked urs up from?
xurusaibobx is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #30
Rob
Big Kahuna
 
Rob's Avatar
Additional Info
Default

Gil, I got mine from Wahiawa Carquest.
__________________
New Ride pictures:

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #31
mrbkkt1
Brandon
 
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
i think that's pretty much common sense and goes for pretty much ANY place of business.

if i went into a restaurant, Brandon, and i didn't like my cut of meat and made a BEEG steeeenk about it, i'd expect to get the "special sauce" like that lady did in that movie "Waiting".
see that's the thing.
I would never do that kind of thing because i have "integrity"
nor would any of my employees, cause they value their jobs.

I have no problem getting my safety check, and it's a legit safety check.
I just think if that if recon will only put the sticker on the same place on each car's bumper, then they should do it for everyone, no exceptions, even if it's their own car!
That's what integrity is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
at the time, i think i was asleep on the couch (as usual :D )i didn't feel anything.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
mrbkkt1 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #32
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

some people want it on their bumper, some want it on their 3-sticker bracket that they mounted in the correct place...BEFORE they went to recon and passed. they gladly oblige.

i think i'm missing something here.
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #33
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

oh ok i re-read.

you do know that the safety inspector who placed the sticker on your plate (under your license plate) probably did so because he didn't know any better.

do you realize that you CAN get a ticket for that? and if you did, is that YOUR fault or HIS/HERS?


it's their fault, due to ignorance. but who's going to pay the ticket ( or lose money when you go to court and fight it)? not them!

so you're thinking "oh ok, this inspector is cool cuz they put it where i want it" when in reality they just gave HPD PC to pull you over.

even a well-respected HPD officer who posts on FH was trying to help a fellow officer who got dinged by IA for the same placement of sticker where yours currently is. i told him (and my hubby told him too, weeks later--maybe he didn't believe me) that that is not a recognized placement.
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #34
mrbkkt1
Brandon
 
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
oh ok i re-read.

you do know that the safety inspector who placed the sticker on your plate (under your license plate) probably did so because he didn't know any better.

do you realize that you CAN get a ticket for that? and if you did, is that YOUR fault or HIS/HERS?


it's their fault, due to ignorance. but who's going to pay the ticket ( or lose money when you go to court and fight it)? not them!

so you're thinking "oh ok, this inspector is cool cuz they put it where i want it" when in reality they just gave HPD PC to pull you over.

even a well-respected HPD officer who posts on FH was trying to help a fellow officer who got dinged by IA for the same placement of sticker where yours currently is. i told him (and my hubby told him too, weeks later--maybe he didn't believe me) that that is not a recognized placement.
Thank you, that is what i've been trying to say.....



that is the best thing about the plate i had made. from far away, it looks like it's on the bumper
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
at the time, i think i was asleep on the couch (as usual :D )i didn't feel anything.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
mrbkkt1 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #35
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

...so you're saying...DESPITE all the numerous times you've been pulled over even if your vehicle doesn't require recon and you complain about that, you don't mind if a safety inspector who doesn't know any better, gives an officer PC to pull you over?

...and the recon inspectors are suspect because they won't let you put your sticker where you want it because they DO know better and won't place it on an illegal bracket?

your logic has lost me, Brandon.
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #36
ChroniC588
Linux is Awesome
 
ChroniC588's Avatar
Additional Info
Hoboken, NJ
Wii Friend Code: I eat Food
Credits: 14,959.55
ChroniC588 is on a distinguished road
Default

I figured it was illegal to put it anywhere except the bumper.
__________________

Quote:
Never Surrender
ChroniC588 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #37
mrbkkt1
Brandon
 
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
...so you're saying...DESPITE all the numerous times you've been pulled over even if your vehicle doesn't require recon and you complain about that, you don't mind if a safety inspector who doesn't know any better, gives an officer PC to pull you over?

...and the recon inspectors are suspect because they won't let you put your sticker where you want it because they DO know better and won't place it on an illegal bracket?

your logic has lost me, Brandon.
it's on the bumper, and from a decent distance ( one car or so), it doesn't look like it's on the plate, it looks like it's on the bumper...
only reason i have it on a plate, is cause i don't want to scratch up the bumper when i slash the sticker...
i'll take a pic of the sticker from farther away, and you tell me what it looks like...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
at the time, i think i was asleep on the couch (as usual :D )i didn't feel anything.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
mrbkkt1 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #38
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

i saw the pic before, Brandon, and i'm NOT arguing with you about its placement.

i'm just saying, i doubt the recon inspectors would place it there as it is practically below the license. if they made you put it in the proper area (which then, would leave an officer with no PC)--why is that "wrong"? that's my point.

you might feel "awright, the sc inspector was cool, he let me put the sticker on my plate" but then if that plate was the cause of you getting pulled over and possibly ticketed--did the s/c inspector REALLY do you a favor?
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #39
mrbkkt1
Brandon
 
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
i saw the pic before, Brandon, and i'm NOT arguing with you about its placement.

i'm just saying, i doubt the recon inspectors would place it there as it is practically below the license. if they made you put it in the proper area (which then, would leave an officer with no PC)--why is that "wrong"? that's my point.

you might feel "awright, the sc inspector was cool, he let me put the sticker on my plate" but then if that plate was the cause of you getting pulled over and possibly ticketed--did the s/c inspector REALLY do you a favor?
thing is, i didn't center it, and it is legally on the right half of the bumper. the law is vague, and just said the right half, no exact measurements.

If i got a ticket for that, honestly i'd laugh.... take a pic, and go to court, and get it dismissed.... It would be a waste of time, yes, but what can you do. any officer can give you a ticket for anything, and it's up to you to go to court to disprove it.
I have seen some officers harrass some people i know, and give them bs tickts just because they know what a pain it is.
point is, i'm not the one "bragging" about not having the recon sticker in the incorrect area am i?
anyway, i cared less about "looking cool",and cared more about being able to adequately slash the sticker, w/o killing the bumper. I did not like the "security" of the normal plates, and since i used 16 gauge stainless, it's pretty damn secure. also the bolts are hex security w/ the pin in the middle, so you really have to work at getting it out. I actually thought of using hidden bolts, where you would have to remove it from behind, but figured it wasn't worth the time..
so looking at it from far away, it looks like it's on the bumper, when it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evo-back.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	465  
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
at the time, i think i was asleep on the couch (as usual :D )i didn't feel anything.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029

Last edited by mrbkkt1; 08-10-2007 at 04:15 PM.
mrbkkt1 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #40
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

ah i dunno...i know you, i KNOW you would go to court and argue.

i guess the point i'm trying to make is...re:your post that "it's who you know, not what you know that will get you anywhere......" in the context of the placement of the stickers. that is why i brought up the point of PC. i mean, (hypothetically) if the guy doing your safety is a friend and does it for you, fine, but in my eyes, if that's gonna get you pulled over, is he really doing you a favor?

vs.

someone you don't know, sticking to the rules.

i think we're on different topics here
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #41
Rob
Big Kahuna
 
Rob's Avatar
Additional Info
Default

Brandon is right in the respect that it meets the location requirement according to the letter of the law. The law is vague, we covered that.

If tha law was re-written to say "Farthest right hand, most vertical portion of the rear bumper", then yes, as it is mounted would be illegal. However, according to DMV, the plate attatched to the license plate is "not an approved place".

Its a grey area until you go for recon. Then they will tell you how they rule it. Hell, on my 02 Z28 it was mounted in the center, but was 100% stock, and never got bothered. The dealer did the inspections and never once said anything about it. I did tell the new owner when I sold it he should move it to the right. LAst I saw the car, it was still in the middle.

Lois is also right, and I know where she is coming from. Been there, got the certificate, let it expire. I keep a copy of both PMVI and Title 19 in my truck for obvious reasons.

I'd rather not waste my time agruing over such a petty point as to what dictates "right side of the rear bumper" and having to deal with the repercussions of such. It would be easy enough to mount it further to the right and fly under radar. Just my .02.



On another note: Servco let me install the plate BEFORE they did PDI on the truck (when it still had all the white plastic stuck to it...)
__________________
New Ride pictures:

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)

Last edited by Rob; 08-10-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #42
lois
short fuse
 
lois's Avatar
Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,862.68
lois is on a distinguished road
Default

Brandon just likes arguing with me.
__________________


"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
lois is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #43
mrbkkt1
Brandon
 
mrbkkt1's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Brandon is right in the respect that it meets the location requirement according to the letter of the law. The law is vague, we covered that.

If tha law was re-written to say "Farthest right hand, most vertical portion of the rear bumper", then yes, as it is mounted would be illegal. However, according to DMV, the plate attatched to the license plate is "not an approved place".

Its a grey area until you go for recon. Then they will tell you how they rule it. Hell, on my 02 Z28 it was mounted in the center, but was 100% stock, and never got bothered. The dealer did the inspections and never once said anything about it. I did tell the new owner when I sold it he should move it to the right. LAst I saw the car, it was still in the middle.

Lois is also right, and I know where she is coming from. Been there, got the certificate, let it expire. I keep a copy of both PMVI and Title 19 in my truck for obvious reasons.

I'd rather not waste my time agruing over such a petty point as to what dictates "right side of the rear bumper" and having to deal with the repercussions of such. It would be easy enough to mount it further to the right and fly under radar. Just my .02.



On another note: Servco let me install the plate BEFORE they did PDI on the truck (when it still had all the white plastic stuck to it...)
is PDI dealer prep????
My car came straight from the dealer in cali, so i had to do all the safety and reg myself. so of course, i didn't have the plate at the time, so it meant on the bumper, where i moved it later...
only disadvantage to having the car come from the mainland was the 1 year safety instead of 2.



and yes, i like arguing w/ lois.... we can't all be sheep. baa, baa.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
at the time, i think i was asleep on the couch (as usual :D )i didn't feel anything.
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
mrbkkt1 is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #44
xurusaibobx
Gun
 
xurusaibobx's Avatar
Additional Info
Credits: 2,873.78
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
Default

recon left or right of s/c? or doesnt matter? lol i notice a lot of them are on the right side of the s/c and mines is on the left self lol...
xurusaibobx is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-11-2007, 02:54 AM   #45
Rob
Big Kahuna
 
Rob's Avatar
Additional Info
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
Brandon just likes arguing with me.

We all heart Lois
__________________
New Ride pictures:

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Rob is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #46
xurusaibobx
Gun
 
xurusaibobx's Avatar
Additional Info
Credits: 2,873.78
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
Default

i just realized how stupid this law is.....

they should really rethink letting the placement next to the license plate legal...

the law states that the s/c has to be clearly visable from 50 ft away or watever right? at night you cant really see it,

but if u put it next to your plate you can clearly see it at night because of the license plate lights...

also if a cop was to look at the expired tags he would just need to look at one spot, instead of looking up and down...
xurusaibobx is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #47
butnut
Breaker
 
butnut's Avatar
Additional Info
west-side
Credits: 1,581.65
butnut is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hey guys...I found this in a search, man, this was a looooong time ago...it's 2013 and the law has changed! I want to mount my SC on the bracket attached to the side of the plate, my classic car has no place on the bumper unless I drill the plate on..no way. Just found out it is a DOT, not HRS rule that now allows for the VERTICAL SC bracket on the side of the plate, as long as the month is above the year.

(b) After the certificate of inspection is
signed, a two-part inspection sticker shall be affixed
by the inspector upon the right, most nearly vertical
portion of the rear bumper of the vehicle or on another
appropriate place, such as, a special bracket installed
horizontally under the right portion or center of the
.rear bumper or a bracket attached to the rear license
plate oriented either vertically or horizontally where
the sticker can be clearly viewed by a person who is
fifty feet behind the vehicle. The rear window or
license plate is not an appropriate place. If the
bracket on the license plate is attached to the top or
bottom, it must be oriented so the stickers are
displayed horizontally with the month sticker on the
left side of the year sticker. If the bracket is
attached to a side of the plate, the bracket must
display the stickers vertically with the month sticker
affixed in an upright position above the year sticker,
which also must be affixed upright.
__________________
hopeless modaholic
butnut is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #48
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator
 
ArchangelX's Avatar
Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 56,213.31
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey, great find. Good job, lol...guess they caved, lol...
__________________
ArchangelX is offline  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Facebook Comments



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -10. The time now is 10:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits I v2.0.0 Gold ©2010, PixelFX Studios