Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 09-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
LetsMakeProgress
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,485.15
LetsMakeProgress is on a distinguished road
Default How can we update Recon?

I understand there is a Recon section specifically to address Recon questions and posts, but the direction I intend to take with this post applies more generally to the automotive scene in general, so please, bear with me.

We all know what recon is, and there are definitely mixed opinions about it (although most people are definitely not happy with it). It's a thorn in the side of every auto-enthusiast on Oahu, and in one way or another we're suffering because of it, whether that is through tickets, finding tricky ways to get safety, or even just swapping parts back to stock once a year.

The bottom line is, we all already pay for Recon in one way or another: our money, time, or both. What we also know is that because of the heavy ties between HPD and a few other associations who support Recon, the odds of abolishing this law is severely slim, if not none. We can probably also assume that the ticket revenue is something the government would like to keep around.

This is where I present to you my proposal. All of us already pay in some form, and the government wants to keep making their money. Clearly, there is an opportunity for both sides here.
  • First we will need to update the way Recon regulations are written. I will elaborate more on this later.
  • Modified car owners would pay a one time fee (anywhere from $15 to $50) to register their car as "modified."
  • Modified car owners would then be issued a paper listing all modifications done, much like current Recon inspections.
  • Modified car owners will pay "reconstruction tax" annually on their registration, very much like how vanity plates charge an extra fee. Optionally, safety inspection stations can charge an extra processing fee (similar to the extra charge for tinted windows).

The biggest step would be to loosen the grip the Recon inspection office has on the belief that all cars can and should have suspension travel of 2". I believe this would be as simple as setting up a speed bump in their lot, and having the driver go over it at a respectable speed (so no 1-2mph creeping over at a 45 degree angle taking up two lanes). The inspector can ride in the car with them and listen for any scraping or squeaking.

The driver will be required to go over the speed bump head on. This speed bump test would also address the issues of low-hanging items damaging the roads, or getting caught and causing damage to the car (which could lead to accidents and traffic jams. Cracked oil pan anyone?)

As far as the government revenue goes, there are more modified cars without recon than with recon on Oahu. If Recon gets loosened to where more people can get it, and thus be entered into the modified-tax system, that would be a consistent stream of revenue for the government.

The flaws I see in my theory are of course how much the government would tax enthusiasts. But we already have the gas guzzler tax, so maybe something similar to that system?

And how would the penalties be rewritten? No Recon permit would remain the same ticket. But it would just mean it makes more sense to "pay for your ticket" early in the year and get it over with.

So you have a modded car with no Recon and never been pulled over? Me too. But I hate getting nervous when a police cruiser is in my vicinity. I would rather just pay and have the peace of mind.

And I understand the way I have things worded means the "stanced" and "slammed" guys will suffer. If there were a way to help the entire scene out as a whole, it'd be great, but street sweepers are also why they worry about suspension travel so much too.

Please critique, or add insight. I know this opinion is not for everyone, and I'd like to hear opposing arguments as well.

And if anybody knows how to take this up with legislature, a little help with that would be nice too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

As a longtime enthusiast and someone who has always built his toys within the Specs laid out by recon,

A car with no suspension travel is NOT safe by any means.

Here are my thoughts... before coming out and attacking the law, understand it first. read up on chapter 134 and what it's about

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 60,861.50
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure why Recon even exists...isn't all this what the Safety check is supposed to do? I've lived all over the US of A, and this is is the only state, check that...the only ISLAND that has recon.

If it's such a great idea, why aren't other people following it?
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
I'm not quite sure why Recon even exists...isn't all this what the Safety check is supposed to do? I've lived all over the US of A, and this is is the only state, check that...the only ISLAND that has recon.

If it's such a great idea, why aren't other people following it?
Think about it.., Recon is based upon FMVSS, nothing more.

Is it overreaching?... ,maybe, but I have NEVER had a problem obtaining recon for ANY of my rides.

Attitude?... maybe.

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Szenkar Eugen
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,420.00
Szenkar Eugen is on a distinguished road

As to the updates. I'm fine with them. I think the decoy grenade will still not be used, because it just doesn't have a place really. Oh boy, people will think they have a bleep on the radar... There are 1000 other bleeps. It should be like a hologram of you or something.

Facebook Comments