Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Financial, Military, Political & Religious Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Situation in Puna on the Big Island; Voting in the Midst of Disaster Recovery

What you think? Discuss.

Personally, it's ridiculous. I know we'd like to resolve this last very close race, but to put the "swing" on a group of people who:

1) are thought of as druggies and hippies and low-lifes, because of the reputation of the place (and sometimes they are right) and never thought of as much of a constituency, and

2) are in the midst of trying to get their lives back in order after DEVASTATION of much of their infrastructure (simple as it may be) and way of living (utilities, roads, etc.) of which we were not scathed and many are grumbling about NOTHING happening to them (that's why I sometimes wish it hit Oahu head-on).....

The two candidates sped over as soon as can to render aid (with photo op), except one who wasn't even involved in that race, he went on his dime to help out...I won't say who.

Discuss. Desperate move? Bad taste to try to hasten things? Postpone?
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,765.55
Act162this is on a distinguished road

one candidate flew out immediately and started pitching in passing out water and supplies.

the other candidate stayed home and plotted out a lawsuit to stall the election (ostensibly, "for the people of Puna").

the elections officer (Nago) probably either didn't think it through, or was pressured to push the election asap to the advantage (or detriment) of one of the candidates.

i suspect turnout will be low, since if it comes down to roof over your head and electricity or voting for someone you've got no stake in, most would choose to restore housing and utilities. I think law says that they have up to 21 days to figure out how to handle this - not sure what the big rush was unless it was no accident.
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
one candidate flew out immediately and started pitching in passing out water and supplies.

the other candidate stayed home and plotted out a lawsuit to stall the election (ostensibly, "for the people of Puna").

the elections officer (Nago) probably either didn't think it through, or was pressured to push the election asap to the advantage (or detriment) of one of the candidates.

i suspect turnout will be low, since if it comes down to roof over your head and electricity or voting for someone you've got no stake in, most would choose to restore housing and utilities. I think law says that they have up to 21 days to figure out how to handle this - not sure what the big rush was unless it was no accident.
Highlighted your quote.

That's what I thought...so what's the hurry?

I wonder how they'd handle the elections if Honolulu was hit full blast by the hurricane. I think there are other things that would take precedence; like taking a hot shower, having a roof over your head at least one room, and being able to drive in and out for supplies and help.

I give full props to our responders and Red Cross volunteers. Let's help keep the supplies rolling so life can return to normal, as it has us here in nice comfy concrete Oahu, before we think of ballots and election due dates.

But rushing to a relief zone which didn't vote yet, for those two candidates, is a fine line between serving the constituency and desperation to get votes. Another gubernatorial candidate is there helping, but not sure of the motive....we cannot be judge and jury from yonder here in HNL. But it is good to see the effort to help; why can't the others be there to help too?
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,765.55
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Highlighted your quote.

That's what I thought...so what's the hurry?

But rushing to a relief zone which didn't vote yet, for those two candidates, is a fine line between serving the constituency and desperation to get votes. Another gubernatorial candidate is there helping, but not sure of the motive....we cannot be judge and jury from yonder here in HNL. But it is good to see the effort to help; why can't the others be there to help too?
ayup - something is fishy.

Hanabusa is (on the one hand) suing in court to delay the vote... while on the other she and her volunteers are canvassing puna with flyers offering free food and drinks for a chili dinner, rides to the polls on Friday, etc... (basically, bribing the voters). Sort of hedging her bets, is the way the news put it. Typical Hanabusa.

Schatz has been on the ground since (i think) Monday passing out food and water with family and volunteers and just helping people get back on their feet with needed supplies instead of promises of a chili dinner and free rides.

I think another legislator from honolulu district also went up to help on his own, too.

Facebook Comments