Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > Moloka'i

Moloka'i The Friendly Isle

Unread 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Halawa Valley (Molokai) hike; two waterfalls!

This past Sunday, I have done something with my family that I haven't done in 5 and a half years, despite dozens and dozens of our clients having done so themselves. We took a hike in Halawa Valley, on the easternmost tip of Molokai island.

Here's a picture of the valley (not mine) for perspective.
I didn't even take a picture of the lookout, looking in to the valley, probably because my friend was talking about his "B.C." days when he grew pakalolo here. Now older, wiser, and cleaned up, he helps to preserve the place instead of ruining it.

Our friend Kalani runs a flower nursery and smoothie bar from here, our beginning point of the hike. Oh, by the way, there's NO electricity, NO telephone, NO cell reception, and water piped in from the punawai way in the valley. About a dozen full-time residents in the valley. Kalani's nursery has solar power, solar heating, and a satellite connection for internet e-mails only. He drives out of the valley to his home 8 miles out to do all the major business for the farm twice a week.

My daughter wanted to go to the falls for her birthday (which actually is tomorrow), so Uncle Chris took us on a "two-fer". In addition to the more-commonly visited Moaula Falls, which has a pretty easy trail (4.5 miles one way), we all decided to take the extra mile and a half to Hipuapua Falls, and even though it is considered a 3.5 to 4 on difficulty (mostly because of trail vagueness and interpretation, and quite a bit of technical (rock-hopping and stream fording) to be done), we all took it on with gusto.

This is why most ordinary casual hikers won't do Hipuapua. Boulders. Lots of them. The trail to Hipuapua crosses the stream 3 or 4 times (lost count), and has a short burst of water crossing in beautiful prawn and o'opu filled streams.

Hipuapua Falls. It was hard to get a perspective shot, but that fig tree growing vertically out was in my estimation, about 30 feet "tall". Hipuapua is 525 feet high from outfall to base, and is probably Molokai's highest accessible waterfall. Awesome wasn't even the word to describe it. The mist, the wind generated by the falling water.

The base pond at Hipuapua. Small, about 10 feet deep at it's deepest, crystal clear (except at the deepest points), and FREEZING COLD! The mist around the falls is eerily beautiful.

I wanted to include this, because it's my wife, and my 70-year old mom, who just two years ago had major back (scoliosis) surgery, fusing four of her vertebrae, so she wouldn't be "crooked". And now she's rock-hoppin and climbing the technical sections like one gecko. I wuz trippin'. My mom rocks.

We back-tracked the 1 1/2 miles out and back to the more commonly used Moaula Falls, which is a bit smaller, more water volume, and a much larger pond, almost a lake, for swimming and wading.

The base of Moaula Falls. My son was surprisingly eager to jump in, dive around, look at the prawns and o'opu, even jump off an 8 foot rock outcropping into the emerald green waters; he's normally the "chicken" when it comes to the unknown. But he was amazingly at home here. I sensed a cultural connection with my boy and the falls.

The other side of Moaula Falls pond/lake. The interesting cave-thing formation is apparently a legendary home of a giant mo'o (lizard) that guards the pond. If it wasn't in the cave, it was in the pond's depths (of which were not too visible). No one was home, but the water was awesome.

Uncle Chris climbed up to the second cave (barely visible in the photo) and jumped off an outcropping about 25 feet above the water with a big SPLASH! He came up, so no mo'o ate him. Probably cuz most of us get Hawaiian 'cept my mom and my wife. But das okay.

The outfall from the lake into the stream revealed this excellent habitat for prawns and o'opu like I haven't seen. I guess since the locals here only take what they eat, and the tourists don't necessarily eat o'opu, there's lots for times to come. My son was fascinated with the whole deal.

We hiked out just in time for sunset, and before long, it was time to bid good-bye to Halawa Valley and drive the 29 miles back to our place. It's always there, but it's like those trips you know you'll only make a few times in your life. And since my days seem to be numbered now, I treasured each moment and we celebrated my daughter's birthday the way she wanted, in God's creation, enjoyed for so many generations before us by our ancestors. It's a memory I'll cherish always.

Only on Molokai.
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo
Credits: 4,718.70
TheMayor is on a distinguished road

You paint a very beautiful picture that can only best be experienced by visiting the lush island of Molokai!

Thats it Kyle. Im coming over for a weekend hike and visit.

After I finish my work.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,407.25
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

^hey rotormotor when u go to moloka'i, don't forget to bring me!
does the supahferry go there?

hey, where dem skinny dipping pics?
tis easy for me to go skinny dipping
because i skinny
so i just have to get wet
and that
would be skinny dipping, yes?
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 08-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Kreggae
Gun

Additional Info
East Honolulu
Credits: 2,387.00
Kreggae is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic
They can chuck you off along the way to Maui, Leo! Just tell the captain to swing real close to the South Shore!

Just kidding.

Kyle, those are such impressive pictures. Thanks for sharing with us the awe-inspiring beauty of Moloka'i. I understand more and more why it's so hard for you to leave.

Unread 08-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,855.05
kombi731 has disabled reputation

sweet hike
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo
Credits: 4,718.70
TheMayor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic

\

Better yet lets combine Kombi's glider rides with skydiving over Molokai!

Kyle, we need coordinates on where to land..

Unread 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,218.20
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that is so beautiful! I'm not an outdoorsy kinda gal but do appreciate nature. I definitely would love to try to hike that place.

Just curious though... where would one stay now? What lodging are available on Molokai?
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe

Last edited by MsStang808; 08-26-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,855.05
kombi731 has disabled reputation

^^ LOL soo true

MsStang808 on Mt Biking "There's dirt there"
courtsey of kombi's twisted memory of HT Chat
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,218.20
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombi731
^^ LOL soo true

MsStang808 on Mt Biking "There's dirt there"
courtsey of kombi's twisted memory of HT Chat
Just to prove you wrong that I am capable of changing my ways I WILL do more outdoorsy things. I ventured to the beach not too long ago... I swam with the fishes. Granted there wasn't any dirt but I fell on rocks, got hurt, tracked sand into my car. That counts for something doesn't it? And I am looking at getting a Mt. Bike... just gotta unload the Dahon.

Adding to my "things to do" list: Travel to Molokai and see (perhaps hike if possible) the sites.
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStang808
Wow, that is so beautiful! I'm not an outdoorsy kinda gal but do appreciate nature. I definitely would love to try to hike that place.

Just curious though... where would one stay now? What lodging are available on Molokai?
Okay Dar, you're not an outdoorsy gal so that leaves out the campsites.

The main options are the Hotel Molokai http://www.hotelmolokai.com , they have typical resort-type accommodations, restaurant and bar on-site, entertainment nightly, etc.

The next one, a real "get-away" type of place, is the Puu O Hoku (Hill of Stars) Ranch, on the far east end of Molokai (FAR; like 20 miles to end of road, then another 4 miles on a one-lane unimproved (paved but bus up with some repairs) road, to a beautiful organic/ cattle ranch with lodge and cottages http://www.puuohoku.com

There's a bunch of bed-and-breakfasts on island, too, http://www.molokai-hawaii.com has a lot of recommendations.

Lastly, there's our retreat center http://www.myspace.com/newhopemolokai if you run out of options, we usually do large-scale groups (20 - 90 pax), but we could help if you got stranded here. We have, however, an arm-long list of House Rules that generally turn away all but the most focused of groups (no alky, tobacco and firearms, shack-ups, etc.) because, understandably, we're church-owned.

But that may all change soon. Stay tuned! *dun-dun-duuuuuuuun!*
Unread 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.05
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Someday...I'm going to go there.
P.S. Didin't they use this waterfall \/ in movies/photoshoots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw
[qimg]http://www.hawaiitalks.net/photopost/data/500/hipuapua2_8_08.jpg[/qimg]
The base pond at Hipuapua. Small, about 10 feet deep at it's deepest, crystal clear (except at the deepest points), and FREEZING COLD! The mist around the falls is eerily beautiful.
Unread 12-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
turbolence75
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 2,668.92
turbolence75 is on a distinguished road

I didn't see this before. I'm thinking of going to Molokai, but as a tourist this time. I really want to check the island out, especially the western, eastern and northern sides.

Rotary Empire of Oahu Prefecture
#1 Legend of Extremely Fast Competition for Touge and Wangan Racing
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
tomuse
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,596.50
tomuse is on a distinguished road

man, beauty at its best!
those pictures look magnificant.
Molokai is a definite.