Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > Moloka'i

Moloka'i The Friendly Isle

Unread 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
tomuse
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,596.35
tomuse is on a distinguished road
Default wanting to know

does anyone know of a farm that one can work on in Molokai
I saw an add for one
it was outside of Kaunakakai
have anyone heard of the farm
know the owner.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 04-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.05
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Isn't "Hee Haw" on Molokai?
Unread 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
mrbkkt1
Brandon

not much water in that area... I think the "successful" farms ( cough, pot, cough) are on the east side.....nx
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
Unread 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Yep, I'm the lone "Molokai" ranger.

There's several commercial farming ventures that seasonally hire here on Molokai; most farms, however, are small family ventures operated by one or two people. My friend operates a papaya farm on about 25 acres; he's still got another 10 to go, and it's basically him most of the day, with some help from family members (who are doing different things). By the way, he resigned full-time as a CPA and switched to being a papaya farmer; and loves every minute of it.

Farms here are primarily produce farms; papayas, organic tomatoes, lettuces, sweet potatoes, tapioca yams, lots of different crops.

The farm ops I think you might be referring to are Kumu Farms, which is actually (I think) a cooperative venture, operating a farm, and buying produce from the smaller farms to combine product for shipping off - island (Kumu is where my friend send his ton or so of papayas weekly).

The other would be the two GMO (genetically modified organism) farms by Hawaiian Research (Monsanto), and Mycogen, which have farmed hundreds of acres in the ag district of Ho'olehua. Both specialize in seed corn (Molokai is now the worlds largest producer of seed corn). But wages start at about $9 an hour; survivable if you're single and into pretty simple living.

You'd be pretty wise to check our local newspaper, The Molokai Dispatch http://www.themolokaidispatch.com and check out the classifieds first. Jobs here are slim pickins, and you'd be competing with a lot of local people who are generally wary of "outsiders" coming in.

There are other things to do here, but if farming is your thing, this is a good island to look into...although I think you'd have an exponentially greater chance of landing a job on Oahu with either Aloun Farms, or Sugarland Farms, two of the larger Oahu farm operations.
Unread 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.05
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw
....wary of "outsiders" coming in..

Haha!! But seriously though...that sounds like the simple life I wouldn't mind having.
Unread 04-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
mrbkkt1
Brandon

unless you are hawaiian/filipino/potagee or some semblance of that mix, good luck getting accepted on Molokai.
i was supposed to go to a funeral there last month, my uncle passed away, but It's so hard to fly there, and then back for one day. $$$$
Read my HT Blog.. it's not like you have anything else to dohttp://www.hawaiitalks.net/blog.php?u=1029
Unread 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
unless you are hawaiian/filipino/potagee or some semblance of that mix, good luck getting accepted on Molokai.
i was supposed to go to a funeral there last month, my uncle passed away, but It's so hard to fly there, and then back for one day. $$$$
Who was your uncle, Brandon?
Unread 04-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
mrbkkt1
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw
Who was your uncle, Brandon?
Mariano Acoba
Unread 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
tomuse
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,596.35
tomuse is on a distinguished road

I am not worried about being accepted
as long as I have a place to shower, eat, and work

I am cool.
i know how things go yet really
picture a conforming moment
someone, a native, out on the beach fishing.
Me walk up and start talking...getting to know somebody..not asking for anything, no hands, no money, no nothing just conversing flowing with what comes from what has been going on/what's know...
...( am not trying to get accepted like accepted into college I am trying/wanting to get to know people)....
Me being a man on my foundation meeting another person on his' or her's this is it.

And to ease everything I am not a person that acts like he is coming to take something~

Last edited by tomuse; 05-19-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Facebook Comments