Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Unread 02-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Clark
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,108.05
Clark is on a distinguished road
Default Jeep Recon...Please Help

I recently purchased a 1991 Jeep Wrangler from a Soldier who just arrived on island. It has a 4 inch lift, larger tires and a light bar with lights installed.

It is still currently registered out of state...(Colorado).

I have set up the recon inspection appointment.
I have gotten the wheel alignment done by Sears.
Installed new fender flares to cover the tires.
Purchased but have not installed a mud flap kit.

I was informed today by someone that I would automatically FAIL recon because I don't have a current registration or safety inspection for Hawaii. Problem is that I can't get it inspected, registered or titled in my name until after I get it reconned. Or this is what I have been told.

Was also told that all exterior lighting that was installed aftermarket will automatically fail the inspection. Do I have to remove all the lights, wiring, and switches?

Seems like this is going to be a process that is going to take a lot of time and money in order to get this vehicle legal and registered.

Please help and let me know what you think and how I should tackle this problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Skip
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,466.15
Skip is on a distinguished road

move to maui. no recon here.
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 60,899.31
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

We have a few people on this forum who deal specifically in modified 4x4 vehicles...give it some time and I'm sure someone will respond in kind. Thanks for posting! Recon sucks!
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.60
Outsider is on a distinguished road

I messaged "lois" a while back, about out-of-state ownerships being "changed" here, and this is what I got from her:

Quote:
yeah it's for out of state ownerships. as long as the guy signs it off to you and you have the shipping docs.
so--bring the signed off ownership paper, a current insurance card, and the only thing you can fail on the s/c (obviously) is the registration line.
take the S/C blue copy, the shipping docs. and the title to the Satellite City Hall ...that gets you Hawaii plates and reg
then you go back to s/c guy to show you have the new hawaii plates and reg, and you pass the s/c
Quote:
as long as the proof of ownership (title) is signed off by the owner then the safety check guy can write the S/C certificate to you and use the info off your hawaii motor vehicle insurance card to complete the inspection certificate
take the S/C blue copy, the shipping docs. and the title to the Satellite City Hall ...that gets you Hawaii plates and reg
So with that^^, I would assume since you have to get recon, the proper procedure would be:
1. Go to get a safety-check, they'll fail you on registration and recon.
2. Take the safety-check "blue" copy to satellite, do the transfer, and they'll probably give you the registration and ownership papers, plates, and probably the sticker (not sure about the sticker).
3. I "THINK" from here, you do your recon. If you pass recon (but fail on the paperwork, of course) then take any documents you can get from recon, as well as your registration, and go back and finish the safety-check. If you pass safety, finish your registration (get your sticker), then go back to recon show them your finished registration/safety, complete your recon, and you should be good.

This is my best-guess...so if anyone knows it differently, please share. I'm curious too.

Or you can try messaging lois yourself to make sure.

edit: P.S. Not sure about the lighting. I'd assume so long as it has "DOT" markings on it, it should be ok?

Last edited by Outsider; 02-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Facebook Comments