Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 07-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info
Kihei, South Side, the moke town with the Haole invasion
Credits: 1,552.20
braddahBAMBU is on a distinguished road
Default Becoming a Cop

I'm thinking of going to school for Administration of Justice and become a cop. Job looks like something I'd like but im wondering.. all of Hawaii, you can become a cop without going to school.. so what does Adm. of Justice degree do for you? I mean, does it make you skip the Academy process or something?.. J/W.. thanks.. still deciding on my major

-Ghandi
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
NasTee
Real Looney Bin Escapee

Additional Info
Credits: 2,919.56
NasTee is on a distinguished road

College does nothing to help you get into the HPD, nor does it make it easier to get through the process.

I have a Secret clearance and I still had to do their dumbass back-round check. My secret clearance is good enough for Federal Law Enforcement but not good enough for City Metro Police.
Aloha NasTee, it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info

what the hell is secret clearence?

so why go to school for the degree if it doesn't budge anything?

Be honest though.. how easy/hard is it? I'm just afraid of failing .. lmao.. I'm pretty fit/strong.. so i'm not worried about that part..but im curious about tests and stuff

-Ghandi
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
japaneezy
Mazdaspeed User

if you have half a brain, you can pass the written test. its all a bunch of questions that pretty much determine if you can pay attention to details and to determine if you're a complete idiot or not. there are also some questions in there that will pretty much weed out the psychos
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
stila
yeah boyeeeee

I heard the hard part to pass is the psych examination. With the lie detector and personality evaluation. That's the part where people fail and can't get into the academy.
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info

stila stealing my "hit and quit it" quote

and yeah i heard that too.. what im worried about is when they ask me if i smoked weed before if i was a kid.. i dont wanna lie and get caught.. and i dont know if theyll give me the boot if i tell the truth

-Ghandi
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
NasTee
Real Looney Bin Escapee

Additional Info
Credits: 2,919.56
NasTee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddahBAMBU
what the hell is secret clearence?

so why go to school for the degree if it doesn't budge anything?

Be honest though.. how easy/hard is it? I'm just afraid of failing .. lmao.. I'm pretty fit/strong.. so i'm not worried about that part..but im curious about tests and stuff
Secret Clearance for the U.S Army, also can be applied to various federal and Gov Jobs.

And this is Hawaii, where Degree < Diploma and GED.
Aloha NasTee, it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
Unread 07-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
ChroniC588
Linux is Awesome

Additional Info
Hoboken, NJ
Wii Friend Code: I eat Food
Credits: 17,479.15
ChroniC588 is on a distinguished road

Just go and apply and find out....you will never know till you see for yourself.

HPD is hurting for people. Anytime an organization needs people bad....the requirements usually get "dropped" a nudge.

Just watch the news and go when HPD is really short on people....thats the best time to get in.
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
shaka.hi
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,527.95
shaka.hi is on a distinguished road

From what I've learned, their psych tests are your biggest hurdles. And whatever you do, don't lie. You smoked weed. Tell them you smoked weed. Hopefully it was the night before....
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
shaka.hi
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,527.95
shaka.hi is on a distinguished road

BTW...where can I get some good weed? I wanna get stooooaaaaned. J/K.
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,532.83
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

getting the degree will at least give you some general knowledge of our so called justice system and how it's supposed to work.

you don't need it to apply to HPD. i'm pretty sure not every copper has an admin of justice degree. If they did, some of them already forgot what they learned. It would probably help you if you wanted to transfer or lateral move to say a detective.

I really don't know. just saying what i'm thinking.
perhaps HI-50 would care to enlighten us, since he's already a popo
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,260.65
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka.hi
BTW...where can I get some good weed? I wanna get stooooaaaaned. J/K.
Go to 801 S. Beretania St. Ask for Boisse, Paul, or Karl-they'll hook you up.
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Unread 07-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
disgruntled
Roooad House!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,638.70
disgruntled is on a distinguished road

You don't need any criminal degree from college, or any college degree for that fact to apply for HPD. The biggest thing in the whole recruitment process is being truthful. If you lie and they find out you're done
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
HI-5o
Local PoPo

Yeah, just tell the truth, been arrested?, smoked pot? speeding? tickets? did stupid stuff as a kid? (hopefully all this occurred years ago...) just put it all down, if you don't and IF they find out, your out...

As for a degree if your planning on moving up the ranks, a degree allows you to apply for the promotions earlier and it adds points to the tests. As far as getting in or bypassing the academy, nope...
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #15
UnoDAAT
Ankle Buster

Additional Info
Credits: 1,438.60
UnoDAAT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stila
I heard the hard part to pass is the psych examination. With the lie detector and personality evaluation. That's the part where people fail and can't get into the academy.
*ahem* *cough* *cough* all my friends seem to have made it thru.

And Braddah Bamz a cop? Hello no. Y don't you be a fireman.
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
g405t
Ankle Buster

Additional Info
Credits: 1,420.00
g405t is on a distinguished road

I wanted to be a police dispatcher. Then I thought to myself, what would I do if I'm on the line with a women getting beat to her death. Will I be able to stay calm and relay that information to the cops? Will it effect my health? Will I be able to keep my work and personal life seperate???

In the end, I didn't. I don't think I'm mentally ready for a job like that.
Unread 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
japaneezy
Mazdaspeed User

If you plan on moving up the ranks in HPD the degree will help though. And it is probably easier to whack it before you join the force vs. trying to go to school while holding a full time job.
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoDAAT
*ahem* *cough* *cough* all my friends seem to have made it thru.

And Braddah Bamz a cop? Hello no. Y don't you be a fireman.
fireman? Too much swimming and running schit u gotta do for the test.. me, police, jus cruise, give tickets, eat donuts, schoot guns, cherry, sounds like sumtn i like for do.

nah on the real though.. I just see choke things i no like w/ cops.. alot of em no give a schit.. me, i like make difference..and i hear people complaining the pay isnt good.. fuk da.t. the pay is awesome.. i aint tryna be a millionaire.. just something that puts food on the table..

that and i watch 2 much law & order.. good schit

-Ghandi
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
g405t
Ankle Buster

Additional Info

Quote:
fireman? Too much swimming and running schit u gotta do for the test.. me, police, jus cruise, give tickets, eat donuts, schoot guns, cherry, sounds like sumtn i like for do.

nah on the real though.. I just see choke things i no like w/ cops.. alot of em no give a schit.. me, i like make difference..and i hear people complaining the pay isnt good.. fuk da.t. the pay is awesome.. i aint tryna be a millionaire.. just something that puts food on the table..

that and i watch 2 much law & order.. good schit
Good for you that you want to be a cop for the right reasons.

But I know for a fact, when temptation is right in your face and $$$ is right, a good cop can turn corrupt just to make that extra buck.

I like Law & Order too. And CSI.
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,740.75
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Didn't Dennis (I'm Faster) just go through the HPD testing? PM and ask him.
Unread 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by g405t
Good for you that you want to be a cop for the right reasons.

But I know for a fact, when temptation is right in your face and $$$ is right, a good cop can turn corrupt just to make that extra buck.

I like Law & Order too. And CSI.
nah.. that ain't me

im a buddhist and im always about doing the right thing.. me, i already made too much trouble in the past.. now its time to make amends.. $$ isnt everything.. as long as I have enough for a roof over my head and food on the table and to take care people I love and have a little extra.. that's all gee with me..

besides, i'm doubling majors.. UH doesnt offer them so im doubling associates.

So im going school first for adm. of justice so I can have a start on a career and try to go back school for music engineering (MELE) program @ HCC.. do it as a hobby =D or maybe it could be my career afterwards.. cuz that's actually my dream.. but bleh.. dont know how Hawaii's music industry will be doing..im just afraid of going to school and going out and not doing jackschit with my major

-Ghandi
Unread 07-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #22
g405t
Ankle Buster

Additional Info

Quote:
nah.. that ain't me

im a buddhist and im always about doing the right thing.. me, i already made too much trouble in the past.. now its time to make amends.. $$ isnt everything.. as long as I have enough for a roof over my head and food on the table and to take care people I love and have a little extra.. that's all gee with me..

besides, i'm doubling majors.. UH doesnt offer them so im doubling associates.

So im going school first for adm. of justice so I can have a start on a career and try to go back school for music engineering (MELE) program @ HCC.. do it as a hobby =D or maybe it could be my career afterwards.. cuz that's actually my dream.. but bleh.. dont know how Hawaii's music industry will be doing..im just afraid of going to school and going out and not doing jackschit with my major
It's ok to switch majors when school starts, even if it's multiple times. You will never know what is your niche until you try. Nothing wrong with that...

My advice, never go into something because the money may seem good in that career path. You have to do it because you love doing it. But I'm sure you know that already.

Unread 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
braddahBAMBU
the poonani monstah

Additional Info

YUP

I really wanna be a music engineer but I dont know if Hawaii has any good industry for it.. I know so many talents but no power to do anything.. I dont have a way to get into studios anymore to work my magic and yeah.. im too poor now to afford a home studio like before =(

-Ghandi
Unread 07-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
BlackSheep25th
Fakawat!!!

Additional Info
Ewa Beach
Credits: 1,779.63
BlackSheep25th is on a distinguished road

Im taking the written test for Customs Border Patrol this Friday, Ill let you know how easy it is.
Unread 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,683.35
Udrivecrap has disabled reputation

if i was a police ophicer i would definately be on the beach patrol. yeah...
Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time

Facebook Comments