Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Island Life

Unread 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #276
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,425.40
aspects is on a distinguished road

nice. you finally found one. awesome

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #277
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,318.90
Act162this is on a distinguished road

loach #1 has found a way to deal with the cold mornings - woke up this morning to find him sleeping under the tank heater (it's horizontal in the tank).
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #278
KenTwo
Chaotic Neutral

Additional Info
Kalihi
Credits: 2,502.30
KenTwo is on a distinguished road

Anyone have suggestions on soil and plants that would make a good starter into a foray of plant tank development? I'm starting simple without CO2 and such, just want a nice soil with some easy to grow plants, rocks, and a few fish. I figure Java moss or something would carpet the ground, but am not sure what else to use.
Thanks

Dr. Horrible - "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it"
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #279
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default 2014 Aquarium Thread revival!

Now that I occupy a tiny office on the Windward side, I'm looking to get an aquarium for me to "play" with.

Probably going to be 5 gallons or under. Space and power conservation are my reasons.

Going to go to the pet store in the area to see what's available. When I went to Petco to get my doggie her food and some other items, I was pleasantly surprised by the new things that are available. Really fancy stuff costs a lot (acrylic tanks,etc.) but for guys on a budget like me, there are some plastic tanks that are nice looking and affordable. We'll see!
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #280
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 46,814.18
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I'd love to have an aquarium but I already have way too much crap to take care of, lol...
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #281
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

isn't Jaden (sp?) old enough to help you clean the tank and feed the fish?
Unread 06-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #282
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

I'm back in the aquarium thing, though not quite what I'd personally prefer. Family project.
29 gallon tall tank.

At least it's a somewhat natural setting. One artificial rock and one natural one from the stream in my parents backyard, used over 20 years ago in my 55 gallon predator tank.

Starter batch;
(8) neon tetras
(2) yellow fancy guppies
(1) black ninja platy
(2) kuhli loaches
(3) zebra danios
(1) bronze Corydoras cat

I wanted a school of four Pimelodella Pictus cats, but they'd be the only ones left after a week. So I'm settling for the more docile and less active corys. Hope to get some C.Julii cats this week (nice white/black spotted cats).

Stray cat.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Unread 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #283
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Father's Day cat.
(Corydoras Julii)
Nice spotty cat like the Pictus cats I wanted, but this guy is super mellow.

How can I post video here? Hmm.

Unread 06-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #284
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hey, you have loaches!

we have a pair of rather old zebra loaches that have outlasted many other fish in our tank. they're still pretty fun to watch, they'll sneak up on each other or the other fish, bump them, and then run and hide while the other fish are looking around to see what hit them.

when we're eating dinner, they'll come to the side of the tank and stare at us until we feel bad and feed them. they've got us pretty well trained after all these years.
Unread 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #285
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
hey, you have loaches!

He says hi.

Unread 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #286
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post

He says hi.

hahaha!!!

he's cute!
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #287
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

At work, and at a crossroads;

We have a 29 gallon tank (basically a 20 L length, and a 20 H height). Brother gave to me since he's moving to WA next week.

Being a "go big" kind of person, he utilized a Whisper 60 external filter (for 55 - 70 gallon tanks). double filters and two outfalls.

The tank has a full undergravel filter installed but no air going to it (wanted to conserve power and not run an air pump for now), have an old Whisper air pump but it's not putting out much air either (brother basically dumped it and gave to me with the whole setup).

Upon checking the outside filter recently I found that the impeller on the intake pump has ONE blade on it. Yes, it still works but marginally moves water and doesn't aerate as well as it really could. I think this is affecting the fish. Plus the Whisper 60 is noisy, and more so with a bad impeller.

Do I;

1) Replace the impeller; the pet store that is walking distance from my office (and I want to support the smaller businesses), says he can get me a replacement impeller in a couple of weeks. I would today purchase a new air pump and tubing/stones, and run the undergravel for now and just leave it hooked up when the new part arrives.

2) Purchase a replacement Whisper 60 filter (since the original is old and who knows what might break next). This might take a while since he didn't stock that one anymore.

3) Purchase an appropriately sized filter (30-40 gallon), probably an Aqueon or the like, and also run a pump and hook up the undergravel filter (electricity consumption negligible, maybe I'm being too pake about power). Plus I know the water would be very sufficiently aerated.

I want to purchase another 10-12 inches of fish (according to tank sizing), probably more tetras and a few more corys. The "school" of 11 Neons represents three different pet stores and they all get along.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #288
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post

1) Replace the impeller; the pet store that is walking distance from my office (and I want to support the smaller businesses), says he can get me a replacement impeller in a couple of weeks. I would today purchase a new air pump and tubing/stones, and run the undergravel for now and just leave it hooked up when the new part arrives.

2) Purchase a replacement Whisper 60 filter (since the original is old and who knows what might break next). This might take a while since he didn't stock that one anymore.

3) Purchase an appropriately sized filter (30-40 gallon), probably an Aqueon or the like, and also run a pump and hook up the undergravel filter (electricity consumption negligible, maybe I'm being too pake about power). Plus I know the water would be very sufficiently aerated.

I want to purchase another 10-12 inches of fish (according to tank sizing), probably more tetras and a few more corys. The "school" of 11 Neons represents three different pet stores and they all get along.
I opted for a mix and match.

Picked up a Million Air MA-600 air pump; rated up to 60 gallons; two outlets and a speed control (so we can run serious bubbles in the 29). Hooked up with the undergravel filter with air stones at the up tubes. $24 for everything, so I went over my hobby budget by a few dollars.

Running the Whisper 60 for now, will probably remove it by the weekend. Saving up for a smaller Aqueon QuietFlow 20 filter (at the pet store right by my office it costs $34, at Petco online it is $25 plus shipping...the difference in price is between a huge national online chain store, and supporting a mom-and-pop local pet store, not to mention waiting a week vs. grab and go). I went over my "fish budget" by 7 bucks!

Picked up a Panda Corydoras (catfish) also...my daughter named him "Po" (Kung Fu Panda LOL)
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #289
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Po, the Kung Fu Panda.
He's tiny and full of energy so it's hard to keep him still.

It's getting time to get an algae eater and/or a plecostomus.

Unread 06-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #290
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 3,928.66
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

Someday I'd love an aquarium large enough to swim in it. or... maybe not. o.O if I think of the maintenance involved but then again, maybe I can find a way to hook it up to an aquaponic system then I'll have two of my crazy ideas actually working harmoniously together

well just because it'll be large enough to swim in it, won't mean that I would! :P
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #291
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic View Post
Someday I'd love an aquarium large enough to swim in it. or... maybe not. o.O if I think of the maintenance involved but then again, maybe I can find a way to hook it up to an aquaponic system then I'll have two of my crazy ideas actually working harmoniously together

well just because it'll be large enough to swim in it, won't mean that I would! :P
I always wanted a huge pond when I settle in on a property. I had the opportunity to try that on Molokai (where I caretook and oversaw 6 acres on a retreat camp), but I was hesitant because of the volume of people, plus I already was maintaining a huge property (including a swimming pool), so I too, wasn't big on trying to maintain a man-made fish pond (big enough to swim in).

It's my dream to make a small fishing pond someday. My wife likes gardening so the two could realistically co-exist.

But you should make a tank, even a small one. So far (1 month or so), the family aquarium project is going fine, getting our first hint of algae, so planning on either getting plecostomus or algae eater today. But also preparing to schedule a tank cleaning (which may be bad for the cleaners if I move too soon on them).

I'm going to get a betta tank (probably 1/2 gallon or so) and make an opae 'ula tank for our office. My wife's opae 'ula "farm" (a three gallon clear cookie jar full of them) probably has over 100 now; and that's from just 10 shrimps to start! Constantly seeing new fry (looks really tiny, like dust swimming) when she feeds them. I wanted something to look at besides the parking lot at work. If I cannot like before, I will be happy looking at them.
Unread 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #292
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!

^I find it fascinating that there are others who are actually considering what I thought was one of my wacky ideas: a man made fishing pond. Mine will have tilapias, guppies, and whatever else that can coexist with them... comets seem to be one since I have one swimming with my tilapias in my aquaponic system.

I may have to consider other species of fish if I'm to move to the mainland someday since tilapias can't survive winter temperatures.

FREE: I have a 50 gal tank that has a leak, I'm sure it's fixable if someone has the time to reseal the edges. The leak is at a corner up about 2/3rds of the way up. I actually have put water in it and it still holds, it's just when I fill it up to the top is where you'll see it leak. Glass is still good. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'll post this in the classifieds when I have the time later. I'm in Kalihi.

Unread 07-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #293
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Aquarium Thread

I didn't realize that I didn't post the family project;

I'm glad the decision was unanimous to make a basic display without fluorescent plastic castles, divers, clams, glass balls, or psychedelic gravel. I'm just not into that thing (no disrespect to those who are).

My friend does aquascaping with dirt and plants, but those usually don't have much fish...

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 07-04-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Unread 07-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #294
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info

need pics of the new pleco pls! tyvm.

Unread 07-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #295
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
bristlenose?
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #296
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Quote:
bristlenose?
Hey, easy there! For some reason or other I didn't get to the pet store last week.

I'm really wanting to get a "tank cleaner" soon...something different to look at, and one that would carry out marginal cleaning functions (knowing that oftentimes they revert to fish food/ aquatic plants after a while.)

Wanted to get a Chinese Algae Eater and a Pleco. And yes Bruce, a bristlenose most likely.

I had a CAA that grew to about 3 inches, a pretty notable feat. I thought he was big enough to keep the Siamese Tiger Fish (Datnoid) I bought at bay, after all, he was bigger than the Datnoid. I was wrong (gulp). I also know they (CAAs) can be pretty ornery after they get bigger too.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 07-06-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Unread 07-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #297
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Here he is!

Went on a date with my wife to City Square and stopped at the pet shop. Couldn't resist this guy, though he is not a bristlenose. Nice coloration though.

As soon as the hour acclimation was done, he went straight to work and hasn't stopped! We have a fine deposit of yellow algae on the glass and this guy is already makin' "tracks" on the glass! Great job little one! (Actually at 2 1/2" he's the biggest fish in the tank except for the loaches).

No CAA's at the store, except for "flying foxes" which I wasn't prepared to spend 8 dollars for.

Great investment for the tank today. And my wife bought a bay leaf plant at Koolau Farmers.

Unread 07-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #298
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

don't let him get used to sinking fish pellets or fish food. once our bristlenose discovered the peas we were putting in the tank to lure snails, he started eating those. once he learned from the loaches that he could eat the flakes that fell to the bottom, he stopped cleaning the tank and just waited to be fed.

my wife tried talking to him about that, but he just turns his back to her.
Unread 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #299
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspects View Post
got started rescapng my 1g project tank

I wonder if aspects still comes to visit HT.

I'd love to make one of these for the office! Still looking for a small, seal-able tank to put opae 'ula in.

We were just at Ross, I should have looked for a small plastic cube or rectangle box. Some opae 'ula tanks are as small as 1" x 1" x 1".
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #300
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
don't let him get used to sinking fish pellets or fish food. once our bristlenose discovered the peas we were putting in the tank to lure snails, he started eating those. once he learned from the loaches that he could eat the flakes that fell to the bottom, he stopped cleaning the tank and just waited to be fed.

my wife tried talking to him about that, but he just turns his back to her.
Hahahaha! Plecos with personality.

Our little cleaner is busy as a bee, or enjoying the unlimited buffet time in the tank. He's finally staying out in the more visible places and making it easier for me to snap a nice picture of him. I still would like a bristlenose pleco also, even just as a pet.

Read up on flying foxes; pretty docile and tank-friendly fish. But then again that's just expert opinion...subject to exceptions. I had to pull the gold zebra danio from the tank because he kept chasing the other danio (silver zebra) around and around and around. Both are males, so it wasn't "spring time". They were driving the tetras and platy to the plants. Put him in the hospital tank for now...order is restored. I thought the Petco...I mean, national chain store person said, "Oh, these are some of the most tank-friendly fish, these danios..." Yeah, sure.

Any of you guys had Bala Sharks? I hear mixed opinions whether they are compatible tank mates with the school of tetras.

Facebook Comments