Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > Hawaii

Hawaii The Big Island

Unread 08-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,318.90
Act162this is on a distinguished road
Default kona, here we come!

woo hoo!

son had so much fun in hilo again, he wants to go to kona now...

can go visit our cousins and go horseback riding in kamuela (they've got horses) , visit parker ranch again (know one of the kids), maybe spend a night or two at hapuna prince and check out the Lim family (last i heard, they're still performing there on Sat nights), manta ray show at the other hotel down the road (that was pretty cool).

and of course, fishing... he left his poles up in hilo w/ relatives so we didn't have to bring 'em on the plane every time...

last time we went there was for our honeymoon like 10 years ago.

wonder how much the place has changed...
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

A lot has changed. I'm gonna go visit Kona next Sunday.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

bringing this thread back from the dead...

anybody know if it's possible to rent a car in kona and return it in hilo? we're planning out our trip, and figure we'll fly into kona first, stay for a couple of days before the reunion to play tourist, drive to hilo, keep the car to drive around in, and return the car at the rental place in hilo.

even though it's a long drive, it's still gotta be faster and cheaper than flying into kona, renting a car, flying to hilo, renting a car, etc...

hopefully the volcano isn't at dangerous level of sulfur emissions so we can actually hike the crater this year - wanna go to the lava tube hike again too.
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

I believe that is possible. Call the car company ahead of time and find out if they let you do that. I think Harper Car and Truck Rental does it, but check around to see if they charge extra for something like that.
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

cool, thanks! i was gonna try avis or enterprise since we can get discounts with my wife's AAA membership, and they have dealers in kona and hilo.

i think we probably won't use the car much in kona, though. mainly to go out to parker ranch and sightseeing. i remember last time we were there we rented the car to get from the airport to uncle billy's, and the car pretty much sat for most of the day since we could pretty much walk everywhere we needed to go in town.

if it's still open, i know we need to go to that mall where the parker ranch resteraunt/store is at - that was one of the best hamburgers i've ever had there (i'm willing to go off the diet for their burgers).

i remember seeing the manta ray show at one of the hotels out there - we spent a couple of days at the hapuna prince, and the hotel with the manta ray show was nearby. i think my son would get a kick out of that.

if we can swing a couple of days at the prince, it would have to be on a weekend so we can see the Lim family play.
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Cool!!! Enjoy your vacay there!!!
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

thanks!

no time to go fishing in kona, but we're going to do lots of that in hilo at coconut island at the reunion. luckily we left our poles and stuff at our cousin's house so we don't have to carry them on the plane.
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post

i remember seeing the manta ray show at one of the hotels out there - we spent a couple of days at the hapuna prince, and the hotel with the manta ray show was nearby. i think my son would get a kick out of that.
Do you mean the old Kona Surf Hotel? The one at Keauhou Bay?

I remember I had to speak at a conference our church held there in 1999. The bookings were all mixed up so three of the speakers were at the King Kamehameha, and I was booked by my lonesome at the Kona Surf.

I didn't know what to do after my evening bath, so I took a walk around and saw that they had a "manta show"; basically a viewing platform/bleachers where you could sit and watch as they turn the lights off and turn on underwater spotlights; the theory is that plankton would gather and the mantas would arrive to feed, almost like clockwork.

ALMOST, that is. If I recall, one lone manta showed up for a few minutes, then disappeared into the fringe darkness, leaving the visitors to discuss the somewhat awkward brief showing of the ONE manta.

If I didn't have to go back and work I probably would have gone to the bar for a beer.

I think the Kona Surf closed up shortly thereafter. Hope there's another hotel on the Kona Coast that does the same. Have a nice KONA trip!

EDIT: I googled a bit and the old Kona Surf is now the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort. Go and see if the Manta platform is still there. That would be neat if it still were.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 03-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Quote:
thanks!

no time to go fishing in kona, but we're going to do lots of that in hilo at coconut island at the reunion. luckily we left our poles and stuff at our cousin's house so we don't have to carry them on the plane.
Smart move!!!
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island
Credits: 1,742.77
udown4sum4wheelin is on a distinguished road

Four Seasons has the best manta ray shows and can feed em at certain times. Mauna Kea has a viewing area at the ocean to watch mantas at night.

Unread 03-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #11
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post

I didn't know what to do after my evening bath, so I took a walk around and saw that they had a "manta show"; basically a viewing platform/bleachers where you could sit and watch as they turn the lights off and turn on underwater spotlights; the theory is that plankton would gather and the mantas would arrive to feed, almost like clockwork.

ALMOST, that is. If I recall, one lone manta showed up for a few minutes, then disappeared into the fringe darkness, leaving the visitors to discuss the somewhat awkward brief showing of the ONE manta.

I think the Kona Surf closed up shortly thereafter. Hope there's another hotel on the Kona Coast that does the same. Have a nice KONA trip!

EDIT: I googled a bit and the old Kona Surf is now the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort. Go and see if the Manta platform is still there. That would be neat if it still were.
it was about 10 years ago, but that sounds kind of like the place we went to - was nearby the new Hapuna prince hotel. we ate at the Pavillion resteraunt and then walked out to see the manta ray show - i think it was the Mauna Kea Beach hotel at the time, might be the Sheraton now.

oops - it's still the mauna kea beach hotel, but i couldn't find anything about the manta ray show after a quick search. wonder if they still do that there? otherwise we'll go and check out the sheraton - i think i can get discounts at sheraton hotels.

was pretty cool - they just kinda drift in out of the blackness, swim around nomming on the plankton, and then just drift away.
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by udown4sum4wheelin View Post
Four Seasons has the best manta ray shows and can feed em at certain times. Mauna Kea has a viewing area at the ocean to watch mantas at night.
cool - thanks!

gonna go google four seasons - i'm pretty sure we were at the mauna kea hotel - it was pretty close to Hapuna prince, i remember it was a short drive. there was an open-air resteraunt we ate at, then walked along the path and there was a lookout area where they had the manta viewing.

i think my son would get a kick out of that - he liked the exhibit tanks at seaworld when we went last year.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

cool. booked our flights and room in kona for our annual family reunion in hilo. gonna play tourist for a couple of days, then on to hilo.

if the volcano's not emitting dangerous levels of sulfur, we might try a short crater hike since my son is a little older now - we only did a short rim hike and lava tubes last year.

he's still too young to do a lot of stuff like the horseback riding and observatory tours, but i think we can have fun in kona town.

wife reminded me she wants another jacket from parker ranch, since the last time we were there was travelling around kona on our honeymoon and her wool jacket is looking kinda worn.

she can haz her jacket, i just want another one of those hamburger steaks from the resteraunt up there. even if i have to fast for a couple of days or go vegan for a couple of days, it'll be worth it to enjoy that hamburger steak.
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Quote:
she can haz her jacket, i just want another one of those hamburger steaks from the resteraunt up there. even if i have to fast for a couple of days or go vegan for a couple of days, it'll be worth it to enjoy that hamburger steak.
Hawaiian Style Cafe?

sounds like some good plans. Be prepared for the construction in Kona. A lot has changed in the past year. lol

Unread 04-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ooh - thanks for the warning.

we'll be staying at a hotel in kailua kona, but probably venturing around up to parker ranch, and down to the hapuna prince to see the Lim family play.

any particular areas we should watch out for or avoid construction-wise?
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

woohoo!

got the airline tickets, got the hotel rooms, and got the car (can rent Alamo in Kona and return in Hilo).

got Hawaiian Style Cafe, got the Big Island Grill listed as places to eat, anyone know any other good places to go eat that are reasonably priced?

we kinda got Hilo covered, but haven't been to Kona in years...

thanks!
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Avoid Genki... lol Service sucked ass over there...
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Avoid Genki... lol Service sucked ass over there...
It gets better every other month...that's when the load of people get fired and new ones are hired.

Unread 05-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by udown4sum4wheelin View Post
It gets better every other month...that's when the load of people get fired and new ones are hired.

Hahaha, wow...
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
udown4sum4wheelin
Dug Eater

Additional Info
big island

Yeah, I ate there several times and have had numerous friends who have worked there. Depending whos the cook determines if your food is good or not. Until they get a steady work crew and better chefs...then i'll keep giving business to Hayashi's You Make the Roll.

There's a new place on Alii Drive at Banyans. It's in the same building as Millers Surf. It's called the Poke Shack. $5 poke bowl with opelu poke, rice, furakake and ogo.
If you're into pateles there's usually a lady in an Explorer who sells them on weekends either on Bayfront in Hilo or at the bottom of Costco Rd(Hiolani?). Those are the ish and that lady has her own certified kitchen where she makes it.
If your in Kona on a tuesday then hit up Oceans Bar & Grille for cheap but good tacos. I usually get beer battered ones and wash it down with a $2 corona. Early evening is a good time to go. Nice setting in coconut grove too. If you're not into that, then Outbacks, Bongo Bens and the Kava Bar is near.

Lanihau has some decent places to eat. Sumo Deli and L&L is good, Royal Jade is better, but the best would be the Avalux Cafe(Big Island Grilles mini version...same food).
Kona Coast Shopping Center(across Lanihau..where KTA is) has Dons Chinese Kitchen and Balle.
Kona Commons(below KMart and across from Target) has Genkis, Panda Express, Taco DelMar and Ultimate Burger. Those are all new places with new workers. Panda is probably the best out of all those...
Kau kau Kona is another good plate lunch place next to Big Island Grille. Another plate lunch place is Scoots on Kaiwi St...where the ld Pot Belly Deli is.

There's also some places to eat in Kona International Market, but I haven't been in there before.

Unread 05-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

wow... thanks for the info! i gotta write all this down and put into gps or iPhone. we're gonna be there for 3 days /2 nites so want to sample some of the good places instead of just going to crapdonalds or something all the time.

i already know when we get to hilo on friday my son will only want to eat breakfast at ken's, so this is our chance to sample some other kinds of food.

i can't wait to get back to blaine's (good hamburger steak). we always run out of time to try to make it to jimmy's or cafe100 for the loco moco, but imma try this time (again).
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #22
jawad12345
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,433.85
jawad12345 is on a distinguished road
Default ws

funny..............
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ah, crap. looks like our trip just got a little more expensive...

Paying the price - Hawaii Business - Staradvertiser.com

can't help it, though... a family reunion is a family reunion...
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ugh. hot and humid, and kinda voggy here.

at least there's a starbucks right up the street, and kona coffee on every block.
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Big Island Grill was pretty darn good, couldn't find that kona grill or hawaiian style cafe (didn't have too much free time, wife, son and mother all had places to go, things to see, etc...).

did get to do some geocaching, though around kona town.

parker ranch sure looks different.

no phone reception at waipio, only gps (so at least we found the place).

finally back in hilo at the hotel relaxing and doing laundry. half the trip is over (thank goodness) and all the rushing around trying to see everything (mom wanted my son to see it all in a single day around the island). crazy.

now gotta get ready to go fishing w/ the family.

*sigh*

Facebook Comments