Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Island Life

Unread 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth
Credits: 1,640.05
MLE is on a distinguished road
Default mulch

I have a bunch of daylillies that I can't get rid of and I'm at my wits end trying to get them completely out of my flowerbed. Initially, I was just pulling them up and raking over the roots that were left behind (bad idea). What I didn't know at the time was that by doing this, I was helping to spread the roots out even more and giving the daylillies more area to grow in. Just like other tubers, breaking up their roots is like planting another seed. Needless to say, I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of them now. The ones on the side of the house, I dug out in one big clump after I did some research and figured what had happened.

I know that I could cover the bed in plastic to kill off anything growing in the soil, but I was wondering if laying mulch would do the same thing? I'm thinking of buying the red bark mulch and laying it in the flowerbed and then transplanting my herbs into the bed after the day lillies were completely gone. Will that work?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Most of the weedy kinds of plants we try to get rid of disappear under the mulch, only to "pop up" and start growing, even stronger and bigger sometimes. Even the grassy weeds to the same thing.

We found the best way to get rid of the "weedy" plants you don't want is indeed to put black cloth over them and "burn" them out. Kind of like this;

Went right around the asparagus plants in the corner there. We continually put leaves and other organics under the cloth also, and watered the heck out of it, as well as let the hot Molokai sun "cook" everything down. Now it's really nice BLACK soil. Took about 3 months to get that way.

She's going to put a few more assorted veggies for our "last" crop.
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,729.45
Act162this is on a distinguished road

composting ftmfw!!!

generates quite a bit of heat in the middle of the compost heap - that should make sure nothing grows back under there (plant and weed-wise). watch out for centipedes, though. they like compost heaps.

wife and i want to try vermiposting - something we can do with old food, coffee grounds, etc... and then use that to grow more tomatoes and carrots.
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,629.05
lois is on a distinguished road

i thought mulch was for promoting growth? goes to show how much i know.

i am going to start throwing old coffee grounds and such into a small pile outside (can't do it all over the place or we'll get busted )

i remember my mother used to throw eggshells in the backyard--any benefits from that? calcium? would it leach into the ground from shells?

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
i thought mulch was for promoting growth? goes to show how much i know.
the mulch is really good for promoting plant growth, but the process of creating it generates a lot of heat in the pile (nothing really grows in a compost pile except for bugs and maggots).

i am guessing that the heat generated by the mulch pile (especially under the black plastic) would pretty much kill off any weeds or plants under it.
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

Kyle--thanks! I was trying to get away from the black plastic/cloth trick, but only because I don't like the way it looks while I'm waiting for the plants to die out underneath. I know, I know....it's only for a short while and the results will be worth it, but I still don't like the way it "looks".

However, when I was initially looking at doing that, I thought it was going to be something close to a year before being rid of the daylilly plants, but if you only had to wait 3 months, then I think I'll just go ahead and do it. Is it better to use the black cloth or is plastic better? I was thinking black garbage bag type things or a tarp. If cloth is what is normally used, then where do I get it? Home Depot/Lowes? Or just any thick black cloth material? Are you supposed to water it or can you leave it for several months? I've never done this before, so it's all brand new to me.

Act--my mom and my aunt have done the vermiposting, they just put in anything that isn't meat/fish into a coffee can and let it go. I found these while poking around on the web:

These two at PlowandHearth.com

This one at Target.com

There are some electric/automatic ones, too, that are available.

Off topic, but speaking of Target--March 9 is the Simultaneous Grand Opening for the two that will be here on Oahu!!!! Kapolei and Salt Lake--I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I'm THAT excited! ROFL!
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

you might want to get a bucket or small barrel for composting/vermiposting in. i'm going to try it on a small scale in some old washbins (like half a garbage can sized). if it works out, i'll probably make a compost pile in the back yard by our garden.

we're on a recycling kick, so i've been using our leafblower to vacuum up and mulch the clippings, leaves, weeds, etc... and dump them in a pile instead of putting them into the green recycling bins. i'd like to see what it takes to compost them on our own, and if it'll help my son's tomato plants.
Unread 02-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hey, cool!

thanks for the find! designer composting cans!

hmm. i assume those holes in the lids are air holes, so this process must rely on aerobic organisms. i like the coffee can idea (i'm cheap).

maybe i'll start on a really small scale (coffee can scale) instead of five-gallon bucket scale...
Unread 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 15,629.05
lois is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
wife and i want to try vermiposting - something we can do with old food, coffee grounds, etc... and then use that to grow more tomatoes and carrots.
found an interesting article on composting

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...of-compost.htm

noted this in article:

Quote:
Compost does not make an effective fertilizer for vegetable and ornamental plants

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 02-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
hey, cool!

thanks for the find! designer composting cans!

hmm. i assume those holes in the lids are air holes, so this process must rely on aerobic organisms. i like the coffee can idea (i'm cheap).

maybe i'll start on a really small scale (coffee can scale) instead of five-gallon bucket scale...
I don't know if I shared this last time, but on my wife's birthday (February 13, one day before Valentines Day), in addition to the requisite flowers and her favorite eats (mochi/ manju), she didn't want a ring or jewelry (she's allergic), she wanted this, which the Molokai Ranch sold to us NEW and UNUSED for half-price when they closed up;

Meet the ComposTumbler. It's a BIG bad boy for home use, but ideal for our retreat garden.

Only thing now is, we're going to sell it (finally no one will bother her with "eh, you like sell your composter?" anymore), and go smaller. We have a Zippy's chili bucket in the house to gather green foodwaste everyday, and every morning she makes her walk to the tumbler and cranks that puppy. About three weeks to get a couple cubic feet of topsoil-looking goodies.

The primary reason why we mulch here, is for the decorative plants all around the retreat center. The secret is to pack it THICK. We average about 4 inches in most spots, and some places we have gone 6-8 (but it's kind of mounded in the planter areas). It's function was to reduce water use, especially during the hot summer months, and with thirsty plants (heleconia, ginger, hibiscus), we need all the help we can get.

Who said 'pedes? Bruce, you're right. The ONLY centipedes we EVER saw on the retreat grounds were in our mulch piles. A dear friend of mine trims trees here, and he brings truckloads (like a 20 cubic yard truck) of mango, kiawe, assorted trees, and also coconut mulch (which is fibrous and yucky looking, but good at the bottom of the mulch bed) for us to utilize. We also share with our neighbors too, centipedes and all.

Almost ALL of our yard clippings and trims go into one of the piles. The piles don't look too bad, and they don't smell unless a cat or something pees in it (which they don't since it's kind of coarse). That much less to throw in the trash!
Unread 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

Centipedes!?!? Yikes! I dunno if I want to do the cloth/tarp thing anymore....LOL! I don't like creepy crawlies like centipedes. I think I'll just dig out what I can of the daylillies and then lay down the cedar mulch over the flowerbeds for the next few months.
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,258.52
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

the idio likes to mulch!
mulch mulch mulch!
oh wait... nvm
i meant munch.
munch munch munch
and this is the wrong thread for talking about munchies

on a serious note, i actually do believe in mulching. it's a great way to 'go green'. i'd do more but at the moment, i live in a concrete jungle! i would have no garden if not for my potted veggies, which i call my 'portable' garden.
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 02-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois
found an interesting article on composting

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...of-compost.htm

noted this in article:
thanks for the article!

okay, that sinks the idea of using it for our son's veggie garden. s'okay, though.

i can use it in the ginger patch when i replant some new torch gingers and ground cover.

just want to see what we can do with compost/vermiposting and teach our son about recycling. he's really into recycling, so we thought we'd take it to the next level. now that he knows about recycling plastics, aluminum, and newspaper/corrugated cardboard, now he can learn firsthand about composting.

he got a kick out of helping out at our friend's native hawaiian garden w/ rare and endangered plants, moving mulch, planting keikis, dodging centipedes, etc..

now he wants to give it a shot on his own.
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

Ok, so I bought a roll of weed barrier today and I plan on putting it down in the flowerbed this weekend. I read some of the reviews on them and they don't seem to work according to most of the reviews. I guess my question is: Should I put this down and then put mulch on top of it, or am I wasting my time?
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,516.70
kombi731 has disabled reputation

we need a hippie on HT that knows all this shiz
Unread 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

Nah, I'm just waiting for zerozero's answer....he's the most knowledgeable about this stuff since he owns a landscaping business, if I remember correctly. Kyle and a few others know a lot, too, so I just threw it out there so that I could pick up the right things if the weed barrier doesn't work.
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

I saw some other kinds of mulch at the store and I wonder if one is better than another? Cedar bark, rubber? Or are river rocks/gravel/pebbles better?
Unread 02-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
centralharbor
Pounder

Additional Info
Credits: 1,702.85
centralharbor is on a distinguished road

I've been reading up on mulch and I've gotten interested in a few methods. One is if you have an empty bed and you're still in the planning stages and prepping it for plants, what you can do is get newspaper and cardboard, dig the bed, I think it was 6-8 inches (not sure), and lay down wet newspaper and cardboard to block the weeds from coming up, then put top soil on it. Instead of digging, you could also lay down the newspaper and cardboard on top, then put top soil on top of that. The paper breaks down and adds structure to your soil to promote drainage.

If you're going to be planting bigger plants, you could use black plastic and cover the whole place, then make little "X" slits on the plastic and transplant plants into them so you don't have to wait for the weeds in the whole bed to die.

For the worm bins, watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHTYSQUzUWM

I made one for my parents, and I'd make one for myself, but we don't have the space right now. It's pretty simple. I used a smaller sized bin from lowes and to create more space in the bin, I got some 1x2 wood, cut it to around 4-5 inches, then screwed it under the lip of the container. I also didn't like the lid that they show how to make, so I cut a hole on the top of one, used netting and glued it on, then I used the wood to make spacers and screwed another lid on top of the wood so the sun wouldn't go into the holes.

For more mulch info, I read this forum to get some of my info. It's a good starting point. The FAQs are a good read.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/soil/
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
centralharbor
Pounder

Additional Info
Credits: 1,702.85
centralharbor is on a distinguished road

I was reading something and someone said Hawaii has free mulch, and I found a site with info. Actually, I found 2 sites with almost the exact same info, but the places to pick it up at are different. I never went to these places to get mulch, but just posting it up fyi.

http://www.envhonolulu.org/solid_waste/Greencycling.htm

http://www.opala.org/solid_waste/Greencycling.htm
Unread 04-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

^^Thanks for all the information. I've been reading up on gardening, mulch, etc. a LOT lately and I just keep finding more and more stuff that interests me. LOL!

Fred pm'd me and gave me some advice on how to deal with the daylilies, so I did what he suggested which was to put down the black plastic to solarize the soil. I haven't taken the plastic off yet--I'm going to keep it down for a few more weeks just to make sure those things are dead, dead, DEAD! I wish I had known what kind of plants were in the flowerbeds when I first moved in so that I could have taken care of it a LONG time ago. Oh well! Now I know what to do in the future if I should have a problem with weeds in the garden area. BTW, thanks again, Fred, for your advice!
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info
Credits: 3,164.94
nlm is on a distinguished road

Has anyone ever used paper mulch? I'm talking about the big rolls of special paper that are sold in gardening centers and you put it over your landscape to control weeds.
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
MLE
Resident Mommy

Additional Info
Planet Earth

I've never used the paper mulch before, so I don't know how different it is from bark mulch.

Update on the daylillies--those are some of the most STUBBORN things alive in the plant world!!! Even with the black plastic down and mulch on top of that, they are STILL coming up through the plastic! They just won't go away! ARGH!!!!! I'm thinking about taking everything up (plastic and mulch) and starting over again. The weather has been consistantly hot and dry, so I think that would help kill those things off.

Facebook Comments