Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > O'ahu

O'ahu The Gathering Place

Unread 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo
Credits: 724.45
agita_san is on a distinguished road
Default Cutter chevrolet

Anyone here have any experience with cutter chevrolet? My cars got some issues that I couldn't fix (computer problems) and so I had to take her into cutter to be serviced today. I haven't heard back from them yet (dropped car off at 1130 or so this morning).

Basically I'm just nervous. I've heard way too many horror stories from people about dealerships in general, and the only other time I've ever had my car serviced by anyone, other than yours truly, was a ****ing nightmare. They kept on insisting on fixing problems other than the problem I brought it in for. I knew there were a few other problems with the car but I could do those myself. The only thing I wanted them to fix was the wheel bearing and thats just cuz I didn't have the right tools to do it. But they kept saying things like 'corporate policy blah blah blah' and I kept saying no. Finally they told me they will be unable to return my car to me until I authorize them to work on the other problems. I said I'll be calling my lawyer then. That shut them up lol. Unfortunately when I finally go in to get my car (a fricken week and a half later) they went ahead and did the extra work and they were still gonna charge me for parts and labor! I was like hell no! I did not authorize you to do this work on my car! This turned into a huge 3 hour long argument, with me finally relenting to pay for most of the extra parts but none of the labor for the extra stuff.

So yeah, the one time I drop my car at a service station THAT happens. Now I'm sitting here terrified that I'm gonna get raped again...Someone please pipe in here! Better yet someone please say you work for cutter chevrolet so I can hire you on the side to keep track of my car...lol
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

So did you get raped by Cutter???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 04-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

Yeah...cars been there since last week thursday. They didn't look at it till yesterday...Said its the ECM and it's gonna cost me 1100 bux to finished.
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 59,617.81
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Oh mang...jeezus.
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

So they STILL havent worked on my car. Said it would be done by yesterday, but the didnt even try to start till late afternoon, and then found that the don't have everything they need to fix
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Wow...that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I bought my Mazda5 from Cutter Mazda, too...in Waipahu.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

So i got screwed. 8 days. 1100 bux. And it runs worse than it did before I dropped it off. Here's the story:

I dropped my car off on thursday the 7th to have my service traction issue dealt with as well as getting my recall work taken care of. On the following monday they finally got around to looking at my car. First they took care of the power steering recall stuff. Then they plugged in their computer diagnostic and come up with ecm and that one of the cylinders is misfiring. (I already told them that)
So they say replace one of the computer modules and the injectors. I say go for it. Then they say they don't have any injectors for my car on island and they need to overnight them from the mainland. Again no problem.
So they finally get the injectors in on wednesday and say it'll be done by thursday!
So now it's thursday and I'm in town just waiting on the call to come grab my car. The call finally comes about 4 ish. Bad news. The injectors don't come with seals and that they don't have any. Now I'm seriously starting to get irritated. They say they have some on island but because it's so late they won't be able to get them till tomorrow (friday) I'm wondering why they are catching this so late in the day? Wtf I thought it was supposed to be DONE today not STARTED today. And if they at least started on it a little earlier than maybe they would've caught this little problem early enough so that they COULD'VE grabbed the seals by then! But Oh well. It'll be done on friday. So I can't go to work on friday now cuz I had been catching a ride in with my dad every morning but he was taking the day off (his anniversary) So my girlfriend and I hop on the bus and head into town (I was told that it should be ready by late morning early afternoon) We get there around noon and were told it's in the bay all finished other than the reprogramming, which is what they were working on at the time. OK cool, so we plop our butts down in the waiting area in get into some serious angry birds. A few hours pass and still nothing. I go outside to smoke and the sales manager waves me over. Ah man, finally it DONE! So what was the hold up I ask? Well apparently they had an IT guy come over to demo some new software and he had to use the computer that was being used to fix my car. No other computer could possibly work for his demo. But whatever...it's DONE!!! So by now it's about 4:30 pm. We hop in my car and start driving towards waikiki and everythings working great. I get a couple miles down the road and the CEL starts flashing at me, the service traction warning pops on and it starts misfiring worse than ever!

So long story short I let them take my car for 8 days 1100 dollars of my money and 1 day of work just so I could get my car back worse than it was.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

I sure hoped you *****ed them out...

Is your car still running like crap now???
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
ChroniC588
Linux is Awesome

Additional Info
Hoboken, NJ
Wii Friend Code: I eat Food
Credits: 16,478.15
ChroniC588 is on a distinguished road

You nailed it on the dot by noticing they only have one diagnostic machine to troubleshoot your car. This is the problem with modern cars, its not entirely the dealership or mechanic's fault...its more to do with cars becoming increasingly complicated.

Gone are the days when a mechanic can troubleshoot with a few simple tools....they are helpless without the expensive diagnostic machine and as a result only a few dealerships or shops can afford one.

---
Now where the dealership, service writer, mechanic and mgmt went wrong was failing to provide you good customer service. They know how big of a bottleneck is caused by having just one diagnostic machine to service so many cars and should give you more honest estimates of when it'll be ready.

You might have been upset, but if they were honest up front and told you it'll take two weeks...at least you would respect them more to tell you how it is.

Also, your right that they should have got your authorization first to fix things...but then it might have been serious problems they couldn't allow to be left ignored.

---
I used to be same and always angry with the dealerships, get into arguments and blame them for everything. But it still didnt fix the car or make it run any better. Bottomline you want a car that works and functions how you expect. Like it or not they are one of the few people on the island who can do some of the major repairs on your vehicle. You will still need to maintain a working relationship with them.

That's hard to stomach, but just figure out a way to work things with them that gets you what you want...a car that works. Or sell it and switch to a more reliable brand with better customer service...that also works too.

Quote:
Never Surrender
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Yeah, switch to a Honda and bring it in to Honda Windward!!!
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Yeah..lol...get a Civic and get it stolen! Then insurance can pay for everything!
Unread 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
bluehawaii2003HD
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Oahu Someplace
Credits: 1,937.70
bluehawaii2003HD is on a distinguished road

So the original issue was misfiring then? You did programing on the PCM that's why the issues?
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

Sorry I never updated here! So after I got my car back in worse condition that it was I filed a claim with GM. The GM rep told me he would take car of it and to take it back. So I took it back in and another 8 days later the replaced EVERYTHING from the head on up. The only existing part was the block. So this tells me that they had NO idea what the problem was and they just said **** it, replace everything and the problem should be gone.

And luckily it is gone. No problems since.
Unread 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

LOL...glad you got it solved, and glad they took care of you! That's pretty cool..reminds me of when I got my entire engine replaced by Toyota.
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
lois
short fuse

Additional Info
Mos Eisley
Send a message via AIM to lois
Credits: 16,851.74
lois is on a distinguished road

their parts guys are cool!

"She's blunt, she's loud, and she tells you crap you don't want to hear."--Mike

i can only please one person a day. you're too late for today and tomorrow doesn't look good either.
Unread 05-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
bandits1
Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 6,022.73
bandits1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois View Post
their parts guys are cool!
Did you move back to your home planet or something? They ain't got internet over there?

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."

- Calvin
Unread 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #17
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Hahah...love it when Lois makes guest appearances. Hi Lois!
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
Sorry I never updated here! So after I got my car back in worse condition that it was I filed a claim with GM. The GM rep told me he would take car of it and to take it back. So I took it back in and another 8 days later the replaced EVERYTHING from the head on up. The only existing part was the block. So this tells me that they had NO idea what the problem was and they just said **** it, replace everything and the problem should be gone.

And luckily it is gone. No problems since.
I'm guessing you had a Cobalt since I scanned your posts and could not find any reference as to what kind of car you had. I've worked at a GM dealership before and have run into vehicle with those symptoms. Basically, I followed all diagnostics to what they recommended. I first started with the injectors as there was a service bulletin that applied to it. Also reprogrammed the ECM as part of the bulletin repair. Problem still existed. I traced the problem to a vacuum leak somewhere between cylinder 1 and 2 near the intake manifold and head. Since it is near impossible to determine where it was leaking from due to the design of the intake manifold, they recommended I replace the manifold first. I did that, and the problem still existed. Then they recommended I replace the head, So I did that, and the problem was solved. But then it came back a few weeks later, and they said to just replace the whole motor and they sent it VIP to us. All in all, I never did find out what was the actual cause of the vacuum leak that caused the misfire, but I suspected porosity in the cylinder head.
Unread 06-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #19
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

I was told that it was a sticky valve in one of the cylinders and that since the head is unservicable that they would need to replace the whole thing. Thats the part I don't get...If it was a sicky valve, replace the valve right? I'm like 99% sure you can replace the valves in the cobalts head and that it would be a lot cheaper and not much harder than replacing the whole head. I dunno, it just seemed kinda weird to me...
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info
Credits: 2,966.07
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road

for factory parts the probably dont want to mess with redoing a head job. since your going alter the displacement.
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,680.80
Outsider is on a distinguished road

From what I remember when doing warranty repairs, a lot of times it was cheaper to do shortblock/longblock/complete engine replacements, compared to breaking it down/repairing/reassembling...and it still might not work properly. Just the labor involved would run the cost up...and that's not even counting the parts needed, or the fact that it might not run right, THEN have to break it down again.

Yeah, we were "encouraged" to file a claim and do "replacements" under warranty (after the initial diagnosis that the problem was internal), I'd guess to just eliminate the human-factor of repairs.
Unread 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
agita_san
Con Artist

Additional Info
Makakilo

Hmm, thats true, I guess it would be easier to just swap the whole thing, yeah?
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #23
Nick
Snap On Power User.

Additional Info

I find it hard to believe it was a sticky valve...
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Maybe they just didn't have a clue?
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

sticky valve usually means catastrophic head/piston damage...

Facebook Comments