Race World Hawaii The official forum for Race World Hawaii - Home of Box Car & R/C Racing!

Unread 01-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Credits: 2,698.20
rmdhawaii is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about the track, racing and other stuff..

Hi,

I have a Xray T2 '007 EU rubber tire spec that I bought used a few years ago that is just sitting on shelf and I'm thinking about getting it ready to run and checkout the track. The only other thing I have for the car is a Novak GTB ESC. I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering them.

Anybody running a XRAY T2? What kind of setup are you running?

Anybody running a 17.5 brushless Novak? What FDR you running? I'm thinking of getting the Ballistic because you can swap out the winding. Any problems with that motor?

Are most people running Lipo or NiMH?

What body style are most people running and where are you buying it from? Hobbitat was out a few weeks ago and TRCCA didn't have what I was looking for.

Is there AC power on-site or do you have to bring your own power? If there is no AC power, is there a designated place to charge batteries or you just charge where ever?

On non-race days, do people bring their own tents or do they just use what is there at trackside? If you can bring your own tent, where do you set it up?

When is it not crowded on the weekends?

It says the track is open til 9pm on Saturdays. Do they have lights or do you guys just race until it gets dark?

I know.. I ask lots of questions.

Thanks for the info!
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
~P2~
Breaker
Additional Info

Credits: 1,474.35
~P2~ is on a distinguished road

To answer your questions...

Yes there are 2 racers with 008/009 cars. I can help too, used to have a 008.

Anybody running a 17.5 brushless Novak? What FDR you running? I'm thinking of getting the Ballistic because you can swap out the winding. Any problems with that motor?
No problem with Novak 17.5, but you really need an ESC which has turbo boost feature to be competitive. Tekin RS, Mamba Max Pro, etc. for now, just run what-cha-brung!!

Lipo! 5000mah 40C

What body style are most people running and where are you buying it from? Hobbitat was out a few weeks ago and TRCCA didn't have what I was looking for.
Protoform Mazda Speed 6 or LTC-R 190mm bodies

Is there AC power on-site or do you have to bring your own power? If there is no AC power, is there a designated place to charge batteries or you just charge where ever?
AC on site, charge at your pit table

On non-race days, do people bring their own tents or do they just use what is there at trackside? If you can bring your own tent, where do you set it up?
On site permanent tents, tables, chairs...just bring your RC stuff!

The more crowded the better! Usually Sundays.

It says the track is open til 9pm on Saturdays. Do they have lights or do you guys just race until it gets dark?
No sure, never been there past 5pm.

Hope to see you there!
Paul
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Bobc
Fossil Racer
Additional Info

Credits: 654.70
Bobc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
Hi,

I have a Xray T2 '007 EU rubber tire spec that I bought used a few years ago that is just sitting on shelf and I'm thinking about getting it ready to run and checkout the track. The only other thing I have for the car is a Novak GTB ESC. I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering them.

Frank is running an Xray 008, Maybe he can come on and give you some help. His screen name is FJR

17.5 is the largest class run

LiPos are the way to go, I believe everyone is running them.

Right now the ProtoForm LTC-R seems to be the body to run, However others are having success with the ProtoForm Mazda Speed6.

There is AC at the tables.

No need for a tent theres lots of room under the canopy and the umbrellas.

Sunday seems to be the day many of the racers come out to practice, however the track is open during the week also.

No lights (yet) so guys run till it gets too dark to see the cars.

I know.. I ask lots of questions.

Questions are good, get your Xray dusted off and come join in the fun. All of the guys and gal are very friendly and are willing to help anyone that needs or ask for some.

Thanks for the info!
Bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Paul / Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Very good and helpful info.

Unread 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

Credits: 2,731.05
Pooh is on a distinguished road

RMD, did you find out why nitro onroad got kicked out of the HCC Aeronautics parking lot? Those out of the know would like to know.
Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
RMD, did you find out why nitro onroad got kicked out of the HCC Aeronautics parking lot? Those out of the know would like to know.
No comment. Sorry.
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

Default ??? about the Slash class

A friend may get Sunday's off and he is interested in the Slash class. He has a AE SC10 without the RTR electronics. What ESC, motor brushed and brushless, can he use to be legal in Slash class?
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

Quote:
No comment. Sorry.
So sad that those that don't know and raced onroad nitro won't know. All that onroad stuff collecting dust.
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Bobc
Fossil Racer
Additional Info

Credits: 654.70
Bobc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A friend may get Sunday's off and he is interested in the Slash class. He has a AE SC10 without the RTR electronics. What ESC, motor brushed and brushless, can he use to be legal in Slash class?
Basically he needs a motor that is comparable to the slash titan motor and a basic esc. If the class grows there may eventually be a "mod" class where more power will be allowed, but for now its just to get the class going.
Bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
So sad that those that don't know and raced onroad nitro won't know. All that onroad stuff collecting dust.
Indeed.

I'm rebuilding my cars and then I'm going to start looking for a place to run them. I already have a place in mind, the only problem is that no one else will be able to join me. I've got some dots and a personal lap counting system, so it's just a matter of getting approvalfrom the property owner to race on what would end up being my own private track. I'm going to ask next week.

There is an option that can be pursued, that will allow anyone to come and race their cars (not with the guys I'm asking next week), but that option would require people to pay more to race than the few dollars per class that we were paying before. For this to option to work, a minimum number of people would have to commit to paying some pretty high monthly club dues - race or not, which I don't think people will buy into. Not only that, it will probably only be once a month. I have only scratched the surface of this idea, so I don't have figures, but a wild ass guess would be $30-50 per person, per race - if you could get 20 people to commit. If we ask for mercy, maybe only $20-40 per race. If we plead hardship, maybe $10-20. Ha ha.

Know 20 people that would commit $360/year to race on-road nitro 12 times?

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-23-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
Basically he needs a motor that is comparable to the slash titan motor and a basic esc. If the class grows there may eventually be a "mod" class where more power will be allowed, but for now its just to get the class going.
The SC10 RTR comes with a 15t 540 brushed motor, so what is the equivalent to the Slash 12t 550 motor in brushed and brushless?

As for the esc, I guess no RSs or any boosted, computer programmable type esc.

Last edited by Pooh; 01-24-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

Quote:
Indeed.

Know 20 people that would commit $360/year to race on-road nitro 12 times?
Kinda of pricey condsidering you can spend twice that much or more just to be competetive, tires, parts, fuel, etc. And not to mention the economy is not so hot right now. I guess only the elite to be elite and the hardcore racers would go for it.

Oh well maybe somthing place will come up that will just as good as the HCC lot or better. But right now I don't think I'll be returning to nitro onroad. It was getting too much for me towards the end. Engne tuning, clutch tuning, suspension tuning, tires, and my terrible driving just over whelmed me. I was not going to races as much and decided that last year was my last for nitro onroad. I'm going to miss the guys that I raced with though, but they probably won't miss me

So are you going to be racing electric onroad at RWH? They are a good bunch of guys.

Last edited by Pooh; 01-24-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
Oh well maybe somthing place will come up that will just as good as the HCC lot or better.
That's what I'm hoping for too.

Quote:
But right now I don't think I'll be returning to nitro onroad. It was getting too much for me towards the end. Engne tuning, clutch tuning, suspension tuning, tires, and my terrible driving just over whelmed me.
It can definitely get overwhelming. Need to focus on one thing at a time and eventually things will all come together.

Quote:
So are you going to be racing electric onroad at RWH? They are a good bunch of guys.
If I get a "No" next week, then for sure I'm going to run electric. If they say yes, then I'm going to unload my electric stuff.

I'm still doing research on electric anyway and I need to decide if I'm going to keep the car/ESC I have or buy something newer. T2'007 should be good enough for my skills right now. Ha ha. Orion says the MRC chargers are no good for lipo, so I have to do research on a new charger as well. I wanted to get a Checkpoint for the longest time, but I don't know that the preferred one is these days. I have to ask around.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-24-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna
Additional Info

Credits: 9,476.05
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road

I looked into a few places that I hoped both OCS and Nitro could run at that were really nice but all I got were no's...If OCS were still running strong I'd still be looking but alas that seems to be dead. At least we have a really nice track at RWH to race at! Tried dumping my nitro stuff a few months back and it seems the market for nitro is really bad. Electrics seem to be holding their value better...doesn't make sense.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I looked into a few places that I hoped both OCS and Nitro could run at that were really nice but all I got were no's...If OCS were still running strong I'd still be looking but alas that seems to be dead. At least we have a really nice track at RWH to race at! Tried dumping my nitro stuff a few months back and it seems the market for nitro is really bad. Electrics seem to be holding their value better...doesn't make sense.
With nitro stuff, it really depends on what you're selling. If you're selling top name brand stuff, it's just a matter of time and what price you're willing to let it go at. If it's not the most recent stuff, you'll be lucky if you get even 50% for it. If you're selling a not so popular brand, its best to just put it on eBay and get whatever you can for it.
Unread 01-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #16
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna
Additional Info

Credits: 9,476.05
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road

Even the top brand stuff I've been seeing at only about 30% on ebay and RC Tech lately. Mine's a not so popular brand but very good car and I didn't even get offered 20% for it...at that price I'd rather let it gather dust on the shelf.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Even the top brand stuff I've been seeing at only about 30% on ebay and RC Tech lately. Mine's a not so popular brand but very good car and I didn't even get offered 20% for it...at that price I'd rather let it gather dust on the shelf.
I'm going to be selling a nitro roller in a week or so, so we'll see how it goes. It's going no matter what.
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

What pitch gears are you guys using ?Is the track chewing up spurs/pinons or is it not a problem?

For XRAYs at least, 48P's are supposedly more durable than the 64P's on asphalt, but some guys were saying that they run 64P's on asphalt with no problems.
Unread 01-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
FREAKAH
Bombara
Additional Info

Credits: 1,835.35
FREAKAH is on a distinguished road

Everybody I know runs 64P. The track surface is sealed so small spur chewing rocks are less frequent.
Associated RC18R
Mugen MTX-4R (Retired......for now.)
ARRRRRR....RRR..RR......Choke R's
More R's more Gooder!!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #20
goots
Pounder
Additional Info

Credits: 1,784.75
goots is on a distinguished road

So we runnin on the big track or small track first for this series?
goots is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 01-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #21
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH View Post
Everybody I know runs 64P. The track surface is sealed so small spur chewing rocks are less frequent.
Thanks!
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #22
inpuressa
Big Surf
Additional Info

Credits: 2,344.75
inpuressa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm still doing research on electric anyway and I need to decide if I'm going to keep the car/ESC I have or buy something newer. T2'007 should be good enough for my skills right now. Ha ha. Orion says the MRC chargers are no good for lipo, so I have to do research on a new charger as well. I wanted to get a Checkpoint for the longest time, but I don't know that the preferred one is these days. I have to ask around.
Welcome to the club!
I have a checkpoint charger for sale here:
http://www.hawaiitalks.net/scale-aut...-balancer.html

You still need a power supply and the proper balancer connector unless you go with thunderpower batteries.

Either way, just come down and try out the track! Racing is racing where ever you go.
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

Thanks - and thanks for letting me know about your charger. I've been reading that the newer chargers come with built in balancers, which makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure what the cons are to that - if any. I haven't had a chance to dive into chargers yet. Too many choices.

I found out that the Team Orion's tech note about Lipo applies to an older version of the MRC charger and not the current versions, which includes the one that I have. Some people were posting that Orion refuses to lift the tech note - or revise it I guess, so all their stuff reads, "Do not use MRC chargers because it will damage the batteries." This statement does not appear to be 100% accurate. The problem with the MRC charger that I have, however, is that max charge rate on a 2cell lipo is only 2.5A, so I can't do 1C.
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #24
rmdhawaii
Ankle Buster
Additional Info

I've been doing some research on bodies and apparently the LTC-R is suppose to have more steering than the Mazda Speed 6. Depending on the setup and driving style, do the guys running the 6 have enough steering? And on that track, is the steering more for entry, mid or exit?

The question in my mind is, what makes more sense: Start with the 6 and adjust the setup if you need more steering - or start with the LTC and then adjust the setup to give you less steering??
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #25
Pooh
Cruncher
Additional Info

I have a Hyperion 720i net 3 d/c charger. Needs separate power supply. It does nicad/nimh, li-po, li-ion, li-fe, gel cell. It can charge up to 20 amps, discharge up to 10 amps. Spent more than I had planned but decided to get a more powerful charger just in case.
The Hyperion 0606i ac/dc charger is good all around charger, low cost compared to the 720i. Charges up to 6 amps and the same batteries as the 720i.

The Muchmore legend chargers looks good also, pricey. The power supply has the option of mounting 2 Legend chargers on it and has digital displays

Facebook Comments