Race World Hawaii The official forum for Race World Hawaii - Home of Box Car & R/C Racing!

Unread 06-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
BC7
Racer
Additional Info

Credits: 2,138.05
BC7 is on a distinguished road
Default Who Is Running What...?

Aloha Racers,

Change is life , someone said. Seems as much as we want to maintain a constant at the track, changes keep intruding.

Looks like next Series our TC classes will be 17.5 GT (no change) 13.5 Super Stock (same as 17.5 TC today, except no boost and 13.5 motors) and Open (boost). This is a reflection of what's happening on the mainland, guys changing classes here to get ready for the IIC, guys changing classes here to run with more/other drivers/ guys changing classes here just to change. All is part of racing.

Of course we will still have Pan Car and F-1. too.

Our concern is that there will not be enough guys running boost to make a class on any given race day. So, my question to you is---What classes are you thinking about running a) this Sunday 6/10 and b) next series?

Thanks to everybody...!

BC cell 382-5653
BC7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
inpuressa
Big Surf
Additional Info

Credits: 2,344.75
inpuressa is on a distinguished road

is it possible to just decide on one "premier" class? instead of having to spread racers out between 13.5 blinky and open, just keep it as one class...I don't really have much say since I can't come to all the races, but what's Reynold's input on this?

Whatever it is, I will most likely run 1/12th and some kind of fast class TC.
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
BC7
Racer
Additional Info

Default Blinky & Boost

Most drivers involved (that I have talked with) feel that running 13.5 blinky with boost is not a good idea. The straight away speeds are too different. We are concerned about Reynold not having other boost drivers to run with. I mentioned this to him in a phone call on Sunday and he did not seemed concerned. But we are...we don't want any driver to be left out, of course.
This is why I have put up this thread.

What I see happening is that most boost drivers want to run 13.5 blinky instead of boost---for now at least.
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
FJR
The Pill
Additional Info

Credits: 1,870.50
FJR is on a distinguished road

For this Sunday and the rest of this season I will only run 12th. I will test my non boost car during lunch and breaks.

For next season I will run 12th & 13.5 NB.
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna
Additional Info

Credits: 9,476.60
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road

I'm running 1/12th and F1
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Bobc
Fossil Racer
Additional Info

Credits: 654.90
Bobc is on a distinguished road

I have thought long and hard about this, and I think I'll strap a motor and servo and race the metal carts around.

Or, just run f1 and 17.5
Bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
daniel808
Meatball
Additional Info

Credits: 1,526.85
daniel808 is on a distinguished road

I will be running 13.5 blinky and 17.5 blinky.

bob but i would pay to see you in a metal cart.. i really would
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
goots
Pounder
Additional Info

Credits: 1,784.75
goots is on a distinguished road

this sunday 1/12 and GT. Next season 1/12 and a fast class mod or open. 13.5 blinky is just weak for some of us. Im just saying...

mod or open
17.5 GT/blinky
1/12
F1
goots is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Bobc
Fossil Racer
Additional Info

is it sunday yet?
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
FJR
The Pill
Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
is it sunday yet?
I know..RIGHT........Well I was going to build two sets of shocks with the two optional pistons but I'm lazy and it will have to wait till the next race..It's a good thing I go to the track early so I can work on all the stuff I put off..lol It's FRIDAY!!!!
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
daniel808
Meatball
Additional Info

Credits: 1,526.85
daniel808 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR View Post
I know..RIGHT........Well I was going to build two sets of shocks with the two optional pistons but I'm lazy and it will have to wait till the next race..It's a good thing I go to the track early so I can work on all the stuff I put off..lol It's FRIDAY!!!!
FJR i have a few shocks that need rebuilding. thanks for taking care of that for me on Sunday LOL
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
goots
Pounder
Additional Info

Credits: 1,784.75
goots is on a distinguished road

FJR rebuild my shocks too! hehe
goots is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
FJR
The Pill
Additional Info

You guys is funny!!!
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
BC7
Racer
Additional Info

Default Classes Update

Aloha Racers,

We had a great race day on Sunday and a lively discussion during the drivers meeting about classes. F-1 and Pan Car classes are continuing as is with no discussion.

For TC, we the Race Committee (Burt, Bob, Randy & myself) are responding to what Drivers want to run and looking at what is happening on the mainland, too. But mostly we are hearing what you guys are saying and doing.

Of the 13 drivers at the track on Sunday, 9 were running TC and one said he would run GT as well as F-1 soon. After talking about it, we mostly settled on the following TC classes:

17.5 GT (blinky), 13.5 Super Stock (blinky) and Open (boost or not, no limit on motor turns)

We then went around the pits asking each driver what TC class/classes do you want to run:
17.5 GT (blinky)
13.5 Super Stock (blinky)
Open

Here is my count, if I got it right:
8 drivers -- 17.5 GT
4.5 drivers -- 13.5 Super Stock
1.5 drivers -- Open

3 Drivers said they would run both GT & SS.
Goots said he would go back and forth between SS and Open.
Taka said he would run SS if there were not enough Boost guys for Open.
With both Goots and Taka in SS, we would have 6 SS drivers.

Also we have one new guy coming out for SS with his new Photon EX very soon and a second new guy buying an EX this week when it comes in.

Where does this leave us? It seems that car control is being chosen over straight away speeds.
For the guys with some RC budget and desire to tinker, tune and try new stuff...this is just another step.
For the guys with little or no RC budget...well you are probably running GT now anyway.
For the guys who want to run Boost, there is Open if 3 or more of you show up, but best to bring a spare motor and gears to set-up for SS, if needed.
For the guys who want to run 17.5 boost, it does seem that this class will be combined with Open.

During the next Race drivers' meeting (6/24), we need to nail this down.
We need to announce classes for our next trophy/pizza race (7/22) and the next series (begins 8/11).

Call me any time (9 am to 9 pm) with your thoughts.

Mahalo,

BC cell 808-382-5653

Last edited by BC7; 06-12-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Bobc
Fossil Racer
Additional Info

For those of you that aren't aware of R/C Tech Forums - Powered by vBulletin you should go there to the electric on road thread and have a read. There are 2 different threads that are discussing boost/blinky. Both sides are voicing their opinions and to me one of the last post kind of said it all. The poster said that tracks need to have classes that attract racers and "speed" shouldn't be the main factor. A controlable car is much more fun to drive than a car that wants to jump out of its skin. I like the speeds down the straight just as much as anyone else, however I drive much better when the car is manageable for me. I may be one of the few that "get it" as some say but do do know that last race was one of the more enjoyable race days I have had in awhile. 9 or 10 cars on the track is just too much fun. I wish we could put more out there in the mains.

All I can say is that those of you that are help bent on boost...... Give 13.5 or 17.5 a chance. You too may see the light I did.
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna
Additional Info

Credits: 9,476.60
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road

I definitely like how much simpler non-boosted is. But I also miss being able to make up for lacking in some areas with fine tuning to the dynamic timing. However the industry as a whole is going toward a n0n-boost and I see it as a good thing that the classes are starting sort themselves out so that it is common across the board.

Watching the 17.5 GT class this past race I was really impressed with the speeds...it was plenty fast...maybe even on the side of being too fast. At that speed 9 cars on the track was doable. Yes there was some carnage but on the whole it wasn't bad and there wasn't much breakage. Any faster than that and 9 cars on the track would be detrimental.

I've got more thoughts rattling around in my head but I'm slammed at work right now so I will get back with them later.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Facebook Comments