Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Autocross

Autocross General Autocross Discussion

Unread 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 4,137.90
kombi731 has disabled reputation
Default Nov 11-26-07 Pix (no 56k) (3/3)

Some pix from the Auto X Sunday@Aloha Stadium
I pushed them all through PS maybe a little to quick
If you see yourself and want a bigger version (wallpaper etc.) shoot me an email kombi731 hotmail.com

Last edited by kombi731; 11-28-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
freeride
runs ok

Additional Info
Town
Credits: 4,075.08
freeride is on a distinguished road

that 240 w/o the coffee tray, crx and SC'd SS were monsters!!!

Found Change... It was under my car seat on the adjustment track.
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,033.05
Act162this is on a distinguished road

if those are the same 240s that i'm remembering, they've been doing this for many years - they've got those cars dialed in just right.
Unread 11-30-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Scubaru
Remember Thy Name

Additional Info
in the secret ninja dojo
Credits: 1,554.15
Scubaru is on a distinguished road

When CUrtis goes back to 15"s and v170's, everyone is gonna get hurt.
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

I'm scared of when he starts using those 275/35/15's....
Then I'm gonna be 2 seconds behind again.
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

amy still does this too with her 240 (or was it a 260?).
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

amy and jenn drive curtis's 240, its a 3 person car!
Unread 11-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ah, okay. IIRC, amy had a brownish 240 way long time ago, and jen wasn't even in high school when i was auto-xing. curtis had the blue one, back then, no?

i think ben had a flat black-ish 240, and somebody else had a 240 as well. this was back when we were at barber's point, back by the sewage treatment plant... way before civics with swaps started showing up.

can you tell how old i am?
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
dnf
OB-left

Additional Info
Credits: 1,122.90
dnf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
ah, okay. IIRC, amy had a brownish 240 way long time ago, and jen wasn't even in high school when i was auto-xing. curtis had the blue one, back then, no?

i think ben had a flat black-ish 240, and somebody else had a 240 as well. this was back when we were at barber's point, back by the sewage treatment plant... way before civics with swaps started showing up.

can you tell how old i am?
damn. i had a civic with a swap back then at that site.

b

ps: the rocks there were just the right height
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

did you come out with the Hypersports guys back then? I remember Lanny and some other guys came out with their drag civics with motor swaps once. i remember at the end before i got out of auto-xing that there was a larger import crowd beginning to show up.

don't recall exactly when it started getting popular with the import tuner crowd. i remember they had to try and figure out classing the swapped cars, because they argued that the JDM civics actually did come with the integra motors, or the B16 or twin-cam non vtec 1.6 motors swaps.

yeah - the rocks, potholes, small shrubs all made for an interesting course. had to bring out the weedwhacker a couple of times to clear out some tall grass/small bushes on the course. the rest of the time, we just went around them.
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Heh yeah thats when me and barry started, back in the weeds of barbers point right off geiger.

Amy still has her maroonish 240, jenn still has her pristine 240 also.

i started in a lowly golf 16v in the mid 90s because robert igarashi dragooned me into coming so he could borrow my car...
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hmm. can't recall exactly the years i used to go there, but early-mid 90s sounds about right. i remember the lees, ed and lindsey, steve oliberos with his 510 and later i think it was a 260/280, ben's Z, keith with his mini. i remember somebody came out a couple of times with a GN, and somebody used to auto-x a ford ranger p/u.

remember the track van? i think it was like a ford econoline or something with the steering column that you had to hold in place while you drove it or something to that effect?

i forget his name, but somebody had a crx that i think had a j/r supercharger?
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Yep, remember all of them! Elliot Woo use to race his ranger and he was fairly quick too.

That track van lasted all the way till this year! It finally got too scary to drive, specially since it couldn't be stored close to the race site anymore.

Wes Aihara had the SC CRX, I was in his class for a while with dnf. I had a 1.6l SOHC Vtec CRX with the old greddy turbo kit.. 14's was fast back then..
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Here's the van!

Here's my POS CRX back then..

Oh here, Lindseys Porsche behind me I think?

Unread 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #15
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hahahaha!!! the van from hell! i remember they kept a spray can of wasp/hornet killer in there to blast the wasps that came out to check out the action back then.

yep, that's lindsey's porsche...

oh, wes... that's right. forgot his last name, but didn't forget that car! it was pretty fast!

i thought about doing a zc swap back then to see if it would allow me to remain in my class (rather than an b-series swap) but no such luck, a swap is a swap if the usdm version of the civic did not come with it from the factory (option or otherwise) per the rules at the time (IIRC). that, and the swap would have bumped me up into a class where i would have no chance of being competitive...
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

oh, the memories...

i remember a gene and his son that used to race too... i think gene had a vw 4 door or something and his son had an early-gen M3, like a grey colored one? does that sound right?

there was a guy that raced a brownish corolla FWD car - he taught me the white chalk/shoe polish on the tire thing to check for rollover on the tires.

that's where i first met Farid and his Turbo II as well... beast of a car.

then there were the 300ZXs - there was the girl with the silver one, and the doctor with the white one.

and Bob(?) with his Supra TT, and the guy with the red RX7TT...

used to just watch those guys blitz the course back then - i think if we had to run the track simultaneously, i think they'd lap me.

IIRC, Billy B brought his Vette out to play a couple of times with his father, no?
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
oh, the memories...

i remember a gene and his son that used to race too... i think gene had a vw 4 door or something and his son had an early-gen M3, like a grey colored one? does that sound right?

there was a guy that raced a brownish corolla FWD car - he taught me the white chalk/shoe polish on the tire thing to check for rollover on the tires.

then there were the 300ZXs - there was the girl with the silver one, and the doctor with the white one.

used to just watch those guys blitz the course back then - i think if we had to run the track simultaneously, i think they'd lap me.

IIRC, Billy B brought his Vette out to play a couple of times with his father, no?
I don't mean to try to check on oldness, but looking at this thread made me think about waaay back...probably the early to mid 80s.

Do any of you remember an older, about '72, Toyota Corolla that I believe was set up for Street Prepared? I think the original owner's name was Dan Butler, IIRC. My friend bought the car from him, all set up for auto-x. It had nice-looking steel fender flares for the rear, looked like 245/50R-13 BF Goodrich tires on Crager S/S rims (remember THOSE?), and the front had some pretty wide 60 series tires on Cragers also. It was dropped very nicely (I think the suspension was really set up for auto-x), gutted, had two fiberglass bucket seats, and a typical-for-the-day hopped up 1600 hemi with dual sidedraft webers/ dellortos, headers, the usual stuff. And who could have missed the "SCCA" sticker on the side windows.

I tried to convince my friend to go autocrossing, but he insisted on making it into a drag strip / street car. It got butchered a little, then I lost touch with him (life caught up).

Sound familiar? I sure wish I could have seen that old-school Toyota tearin' it up.
Unread 12-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

was it white with red TRD stickers on it?
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

gene still races, and has the blue m3 you see in the pics. his jetta was sold a long time ago.. hehe

ken still has his dark gray e30 m3 also.

why don't you come out?
Quote:
oh, the memories...

Unread 12-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #20
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 4,137.90
kombi731 has disabled reputation

Hey Cory I'm gonna try to make it to the next one
def make may way over to you and say whats up too.. if you're shooting
what happens if it rains cancel rr more action? I could snap some black+whites of sideways cars
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #21
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombi731
Hey Cory I'm gonna try to make it to the next one
def make may way over to you and say whats up too.. if you're shooting
what happens if it rains cancel rr more action? I could snap some black+whites of sideways cars
Shoots, I'll be taking pics in heats 1, 2, and 4. I'm always teching cars otherwise, so come by if you can!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #22
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytomo
gene still races, and has the blue m3 you see in the pics. his jetta was sold a long time ago.. hehe

ken still has his dark gray e30 m3 also.

why don't you come out?
wow... they're still going... i see amy and family still there, what about ben (i think that was his name) with the other 240 and the doctor with the Z32? does keith with the mini still go out too? used to park by them when i was going to the barbar's point site (the old one by the sewage plant).

does lindsey still go out there too? i haven't seen him in a long time... used to see him playing tennis every now and then, but haven't seen him at all in a while.

haven't been out in years- literally. i think i went out once when they moved from barbar's point to HRP to check it out, but just never got around to getting back into it. sold my auto-x car and all my parts when i got married, so nothing to bring out.

now that i think about it, i think i kinda remember your car... people were talking about the crx with the turbo kit, so i think i went over to check it out too at tech in.

did you used to park next to wes, under the trees just past the check-in table at the old barbar's point site?
Unread 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #23
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
wow... they're still going... i see amy and family still there, what about ben (i think that was his name) with the other 240 and the doctor with the Z32? does keith with the mini still go out too? used to park by them when i was going to the barbar's point site (the old one by the sewage plant).

does lindsey still go out there too? i haven't seen him in a long time... used to see him playing tennis every now and then, but haven't seen him at all in a while.

haven't been out in years- literally. i think i went out once when they moved from barbar's point to HRP to check it out, but just never got around to getting back into it. sold my auto-x car and all my parts when i got married, so nothing to bring out.

now that i think about it, i think i kinda remember your car... people were talking about the crx with the turbo kit, so i think i went over to check it out too at tech in.

did you used to park next to wes, under the trees just past the check-in table at the old barbar's point site?
ben and keith dont come out anymore, and lindsey went crazy and bought an aston martin v8 vantage. he's tooscared of rock/cone marks so he won't race it.. haha

i use to park all over, but yeh, you probably went to see my old school car. it was cool back then!
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #24
JDM4Life
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,520.00
JDM4Life is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm visiting from the California for a month and was wondering how to get a listing of all Oahu's good tuner shops. Thanks

Facebook Comments