Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 09-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

I'm maintaining my preps, and working on my truck today.

Question; any of you have a 12 volt vehicle inverter? If so, what kind and how is it rigged up? (clips, wired in, lighter plug, etc.)

I'd like to get an inverter put into my Nissan truck. I saw that my friend's Toyota Tacoma had a built-in inverter with 110 plugs in the bed of his truck! I was so jealous!

He tried even to wire up christmas lights for the Light Parade at Christmas (he's a DEM emergency management reservist, so some of their POVs were decorated with their lightbars, etc.) He then found out that the inverter only works when the vehicle is in PARK, so his Xmas lights didn't work until they came to stops, then he slammed into park, it light up, and as soon as they started moving, lights out! He was bummed.

I don't need to power a fridge or anything, just 110 volts for things I don't have a lighter plug for (computer, lamps, some chargers for my tools, etc., DVD player) and supplement my power needs. I know the inevitable; I need a small generator, one that would at minimum power our house fridge. That's huge actually.
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #27
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Just reminding everyone that hurricane season doesn't end for another two months. (November 30).

If this one takes form into a system, it will be named "Ana". I guess that's Hawaiian.

Check those preps and be prepared!
Unread 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,177.80
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
I'm maintaining my preps, and working on my truck today.

Question; any of you have a 12 volt vehicle inverter? If so, what kind and how is it rigged up? (clips, wired in, lighter plug, etc.)
i think our van has a 110 ac plug in the cargo area, but i've also used an inverter wired to an aux fuse block off the battery w/ 8 ga. cable in our old T4R.

It powered a little auto portable fridge we used to keep bottled water cold, but if you flipped the switch it could function as a warmer so we used it to keep bentos warm on the way to games or the beach).

it was also used to recharge the batteries in our r/c cars so we could keep running them (had a lot of spare battery packs).

there are other smaller versions you can clamp to your battery, or even plug into the lighter, but i'm not sure how much current those are good for. i was charging r/c packs and running a small fridge, so i went with a heavy-duty model and hefty cable since it was a long run from the battery to the cargo area.
Unread 10-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:

Just reminding everyone that hurricane season doesn't end for another two months. (November 30).

If this one takes form into a system, it will be named "Ana". I guess that's Hawaiian.

Check those preps and be prepared!
yup - i think India and Japan are getting it now. May not reach Hawaii, but better to be prepared in case anything does come this way (Big Island just had an earthquake).

We have a cub sprout camp this weekend so yesterday we unpacked and aired out all the tents and checked for leaks (rain predicted this weekend), picked up some cots instead of the queen size air mattress since wife wants to come camp w/ us, and replaced an old, ratty sleeping bag that son used to death (he liked it so much from the last camp he never packed it - just took it in the house and uses it everywhere).

I checked my propane tabletop stove to make sure it works, picked up a stovetop coffee pot so parents will have coffee in the morning (that killed us last time - no morning coffee) and checked my propane lantern. last time, the battery lanterns died so I ran the propane lantern in the dining fly all night so we could find our way back at night from the beach or bathrooms.

i'm debating putting my 10x10 popup over my tent to keep the rain, leaves, and sun off this time and run w/o the rain fly - last time it was really, really hot.
Unread 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
yup - i think India and Japan are getting it now. May not reach Hawaii, but better to be prepared in case anything does come this way (Big Island just had an earthquake).

We have a cub sprout camp this weekend so yesterday we unpacked and aired out all the tents and checked for leaks (rain predicted this weekend), picked up some cots instead of the queen size air mattress since wife wants to come camp w/ us, and replaced an old, ratty sleeping bag that son used to death (he liked it so much from the last camp he never packed it - just took it in the house and uses it everywhere).

I checked my propane tabletop stove to make sure it works, picked up a stovetop coffee pot so parents will have coffee in the morning (that killed us last time - no morning coffee) and checked my propane lantern. last time, the battery lanterns died so I ran the propane lantern in the dining fly all night so we could find our way back at night from the beach or bathrooms.

i'm debating putting my 10x10 popup over my tent to keep the rain, leaves, and sun off this time and run w/o the rain fly - last time it was really, really hot.
You probably know already from all the news hype. It's a Tropical Storm now, expected to become a Cat 1 hurricane by mid week.

We've got our OIA semis against Waianae on Saturday...hope they don't cancel the games...or your camp!

But if it fizzles down and you just get dumped by rain, don't the Sprouts still soldier on and have camp? Get your backup muddy buddy gear ready. (actually kind of fun, my kids' youth camp was at Ho'omaluhia and it rained every day. They said it was one of the "funnest" times of their lives).
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #31
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
You probably know already from all the news hype. It's a Tropical Storm now, expected to become a Cat 1 hurricane by mid week.
yup - we've been keeping an eye (or two, or three) on it and we'll see what happens. i think unless it's a full-on hurricane, we're probably going to go for it because it was so hard to get the permits for the campsite.

had some major lightning last night down by ala moana, and a brief heavy rain but no real thunderstorm (but a great light show). if we're getting lots of lightning, we'll probably cancel the camp so the cub sprouts don't get nailed by lightning. there's always gonna be one that thinks it'd be cool to stand outside and watch the show in the middle of a large, open field.

Quote:
But if it fizzles down and you just get dumped by rain, don't the Sprouts still soldier on and have camp? Get your backup muddy buddy gear ready. (actually kind of fun, my kids' youth camp was at Ho'omaluhia and it rained every day. They said it was one of the "funnest" times of their lives).
if it's pouring hard, we'll probably go for it anyway - we can move the activities and skills we were going to teach under the dining fly, provided it doesn't fly away. only thing is that the centipedes and scorpions will likely get rained out of the ground and look for dry areas, like inside or under our tents. found a fairly big one last year crawling up my leg in the middle of the night, don't really want to do that again.
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #32
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

started filling up coolers and stuff at mother's house in case power or water go out while we're at camp and can't help her. also got her a new led lantern and lots of batteries. she's already got bottled water and i stocked up the outside fridge, so she should be okay.

pulled out our coolers, started freezing lots of ice so in case the power goes out while we're away, there will be lots of blocks of ice to keep the freezer cold.

got the extension cords and the honda generator all ready to go too, in case camp is cancelled and we're stuck at home.

worse comes to worse, we can cookout in the garage and watch movies on the wall with a projector.
Unread 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #33
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
started filling up coolers and stuff at mother's house in case power or water go out while we're at camp and can't help her. also got her a new led lantern and lots of batteries. she's already got bottled water and i stocked up the outside fridge, so she should be okay.

pulled out our coolers, started freezing lots of ice so in case the power goes out while we're away, there will be lots of blocks of ice to keep the freezer cold.

got the extension cords and the honda generator all ready to go too, in case camp is cancelled and we're stuck at home.

worse comes to worse, we can cookout in the garage and watch movies on the wall with a projector.
Best backup plan!

It's been interesting that the storms we've been having have been preceeded by smaller, cloudy and overcast periods with some rain here and there. Makes everyone aware and gets them into "prep" mode....maybe.

Mostly everyone I've been chatting with has blown it off as "not going to affect us", or "Big Island going absorb um" kind of talk. Oh well. I guess those are the ones who are going to attack Costco and Sam's Club on Friday. We shall see.

Only thing my wife went to get; TP and paper towels / plates. Good to have those, and can burn instead of dump if we really need to (we have two butane stoves as our primary cooking back up, which is perfectly fine by me. I like cooking with gas, and I miss our old gas stove and heater at the last house.)

I'm still looking for a CB radio. Found one on Craigslist for 40 bucks; a JC Penney old SSB rig. I might call to see if still got em.
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #34
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Best backup plan!

It's been interesting that the storms we've been having have been preceeded by smaller, cloudy and overcast periods with some rain here and there. Makes everyone aware and gets them into "prep" mode....maybe.

Mostly everyone I've been chatting with has blown it off as "not going to affect us", or "Big Island going absorb um" kind of talk. Oh well. I guess those are the ones who are going to attack Costco and Sam's Club on Friday. We shall see.

Only thing my wife went to get; TP and paper towels / plates. Good to have those, and can burn instead of dump if we really need to (we have two butane stoves as our primary cooking back up, which is perfectly fine by me. I like cooking with gas, and I miss our old gas stove and heater at the last house.)

I'm still looking for a CB radio. Found one on Craigslist for 40 bucks; a JC Penney old SSB rig. I might call to see if still got em.
safeway was pretty crowded yesterday. i just wanted to get some more yogurt for breakfast and some rolls for lunch - the lines were super long right after work so I just screw it, went home, and fired up the bread machine.

not sure what costco is going to look like, though. lucky i already bought the food stuff i signed up to bring for this weekend's camp so i don't have to wait in line in case we actually do have the camp. if we don't have the camp, we'll have lots of those cuties oranges things to munch on and share w/ the neighbors' kids.

i really need to install the cb back in the van or in the wife's T4R (or both, but she'd kill me if i put one in the T4R).

the jcpenny one looks really old... you'd almost be better off buying a cheap rat shack one that has 40ch, SSB, and all the bells and whistles (i think they're rebadged cobra or uniden models).
Unread 10-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #35
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

PSA; Now is NOT the time to try to hit the stores.

Preparedness is best insurance to stay calm before anything happens, if it does or not.
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #36
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Dodged another bullet for the most part.

But hurricane season isn't officially "over" until November 30. And the way this year has been, who knows that nature won't respect that date either.
Unread 10-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #37
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

interesting - son and his class have an assignment "five things to bring if you were stranded on a deserted island".

they can work in groups of three, and every student can bring five items.

son and his cub scout friends teamed up since they have had some basic survival gear lessons, and divided up by category what each would bring.

son is in charge of rescue, so his items are flint/steel, knife, signal mirror, whistle, and duct tape.
friend is in charge of food/water so he's got bow&arrow, water container, purification tabs, energy bars, and knife
third boy is in charge of survival - survival blanket, rope, propane stove, and i forget...

interestingly enough, other kids' idea of survival gear is cell phone, nintendo, laptop, etc...

glad my son and his friends teamed up together and knew what they were doing. they might be the only three out of 25 to actually survive.
Unread 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #38
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

First of all, commendations to you on teaching your son the essentials of survival.

Watching Bear Grylls (is that how you spell it? I never watched it) or other movies / TV shows are NOT always the best primers for learning survival skills.

There are some YouTube videos and channels, however, that are excellent teaching material (but not that entertaining to watch) on basic and advanced skills for the appropriate environment (i.e. urban, vs. suburban, vs. rural, vs. woods/outback). I think step 1 that everyone screws up is considering what kind of environment we will find ourselves in if the SHTF (for example, now I'm in Kapalama, much different survival skill set needed as opposed to Molokai, for food gathering, shelter, etc.)

Quote:
son is in charge of rescue, so his items are flint/steel, knife, signal mirror, whistle, and duct tape.
friend is in charge of food/water so he's got bow&arrow, water container, purification tabs, energy bars, and knife
third boy is in charge of survival - survival blanket, rope, propane stove, and i forget...
Your son's team has it down pretty good!

for the third boy, a weapon would be a good addition. A firearm is superior to improvised weaponry (spears, bow/arrow, knives, swords), even with just one mag of ammo. The leader of the "tribe" will always be the one with the biggest gun.

The things you cannot replicate in nature are of paramount importance. Hence, cordage and rope is always a first-line item you'd want. (Most vines don't turn to cordage very well; at least the ones (banyan, etc.) that I tried to improvise.)
Reflective surfaces are another one. Fire making is always better with the right implements (ever tried to make a fire with two sticks? I couldn't get mine to smoke, and my hands were all bus up, but that was without a fire bow). Magnifying lens is also good. Finally, if it counts as one item, a fishing kit (leaders/hooks, sinkers, floats, monofilament leader material) is another good item (so long as there's 30 feet or so of leader, can use paracord or even light rope as a mainline).

It's good thing we're islanders to begin with. So many things to eat even on the shore. I watched a YouTube video (Ultimate Survival Tips), where Dave tries to "survive" by eating a whelk (essentially, like pupuawa or hihiwai), and I bet it grossed out a lot of folks who don't live next to the ocean. Pipipi, a'ama crab, sand crab, limu, wana, THEN there's fish!

Good stuff. Tell your son he's a great survivalist.
Unread 10-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #39
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
First of all, commendations to you on teaching your son the essentials of survival.
thanks! he was pretty stoked and quipped "good thing i have a dad that was an eagle scout..." we had to do survival camp type stuff, but we didn't get five items... i think we got a knife and that's about it (although some guys hid matches in their boots or underwear). those were tougher days, back then....

Quote:
Watching Bear Grylls (is that how you spell it? I never watched it) or other movies / TV shows are NOT always the best primers for learning survival skills.
yeah... esp. after Bear was outed as a fake. he and his crew were seen at a big island hotel each night as they were filming a show in hawaii. they'd film, go back to the hotel, shower and sleep in comfy beds, and get dirtied up the next day.

in one clip, it was said you could actually hear or see cars traveling by on the freeway right behind their shoot.

the cast member that outed him also said that he's not really eating raw meat he finds on the ground and stuff - most of the time, it's fresh and planted, or they plant steaks or other meat inside of carcasses so it only LOOKS like he's eating raw meat.
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #40
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:

for the third boy, a weapon would be a good addition. A firearm is superior to improvised weaponry (spears, bow/arrow, knives, swords), even with just one mag of ammo. The leader of the "tribe" will always be the one with the biggest gun.
they were thinking of bringing a firearm of some sort, but since they'd have to bring their kits to school, they can't bring that... they could draw a picture of the gun, and the bow and arrow, though.

i don't know if son's friends can shoot a pistol, but son knows how to shoot a rifle and dope a scope, so if he had to, he could take care of hunting duties.

i've been looking at a smaller sized nitro .22 air rifle - not as much effort as a springer, quieter, but decent fps and no double-recoil that wrecks scopes - that he can use for rat hunting with me at night.

Quote:
Reflective surfaces are another one. Fire making is always better with the right implements (ever tried to make a fire with two sticks? I couldn't get mine to smoke, and my hands were all bus up, but that was without a fire bow). Magnifying lens is also good. Finally, if it counts as one item, a fishing kit (leaders/hooks, sinkers, floats, monofilament leader material) is another good item (so long as there's 30 feet or so of leader, can use paracord or even light rope as a mainline).
yups - that's why he is going for the signal mirror and space blanket - can be used to signal planes, or mark their territory for overflights (and to keep warm at night).

he's used flint and steel before, i've done fire by friction with a bow (takes awhile, but works) and the magnifying glass (works sometimes but not dependable or consistent).

i haven't shown him how to do the wagonwheel fire (was going to do that at the camp that got cancelled due to hurricane) but can demo that at home.

Facebook Comments