Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #51
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.25
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
That hip holder seems pretty cool...Indy is still da man.
Han Solo/Bob Falfa?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #52
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 60,788.37
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Bob Falfa? LOL...
Unread 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #53
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,690.25
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Mmhmm...Bob Falfa.

Unread 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #54
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

^^^ Yes. Graffiti FTW. Falfa/Milner = classic race.

EDIT. Well, not that one, the one at the end of the movie is classic. Good memories.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 04-28-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #55
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,884.95
Act162this is on a distinguished road

more keys, now that they changed the keys to the outer sanctum of my office and another room that i use frequently in the middle of the day and didn't tell me.

went out to check on some network gear yesterday, locked up when i left, and couldn't get back in.

nobody told the main office or the custodians, and the freakin' locksmiths wouldn't let me back in, so i had to radio for the head custodian (he had the only key).

then today they changed the keys to the network/computer terminal room WHILE WE WERE USING IT. they accidentally left the lock in the permanently locked position (screwed up the install). they locked me out, and the rest of the people in.

that was fun, too.

then my supervisor was all wondering why i was on a pissed-off mission to let the other staff out of the room today (nobody told him, either).

this is one time i'm glad i had my radio, b/c my car keys, wallet, etc... was all locked in the office. was wondering how i was going to get in so i could go home.
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #56
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default UPDATED EDC

Sorry, I decided to

So we can see what has changed in a few years.

This was a couple years ago;

Leatherman Super Tool 300

Spyderco Salt H1

Smith and Wesson SPECM Spec Ops assisted opening folder

Tech Lite Lumen Master 200 (Costco 3 pack special)

Citizen Eco-Drive Pro Master Dive Watch (10 years old and still going!)

Dickie's brown leather wallet

5.11 carabiner with work keys

clicker for truck with house and personal keys

thin work gloves

vial of oil for ministry duties

Nite Ize Pock-it's XL clip holster (holds flashlight, Smith folder, work keys, pen and pencil, usb thumb drive)

I could do almost 90 percent of my work functions (church operations) with what was on me. That was until last year when I switched vocations.
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #57
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

not much changes for me, except the phone is now an s4 instead of an iphone, and the knife varies by the OOTD (gotta accessorize).
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #58
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Pocket Dump (EDC) - Everyday Carry

I got much lighter.

Leatherman original Super Tool

Sure Fire E2D LED Defender light

Spyderco Salt H1

Nite Ize S-biner (keys; office and house), clicker and truck keys

Same iPhone 4s, Citizen watch, Dickie's wallet (new black one).

The Original Super Tool is half the weight of the 300. I still have the 300 in the Pock-kits XL in my bug out bag.

I also carry a personal protection device not like my old Mace pepper gel shooter. If you look at my picture album you can see what it is.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 02-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #59
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

oh, that looks cool... but kinda awkward to use? the grip looks really small, unless you're supposed to palm it?

got my wife the pepper gel originally for people and loose animals, but with the number of attacks on joggers/walkers/people by the mentally ill (and then the judge tossing out the case on the mentally ill person who beat and raped the woman in mililani, before that the judge dismissing the case against the guy who stabbed and killed the teacher in Kapolei) and lack of consequences, i'm looking at other alternatives in addition to the gel spray.

can i ask where you got that from? i usually get all of our stuff at Young Guns. she's had her spray for about two years now and hasn't really tested it out, so i'm sure it's degraded somewhat, if it even has any propellant left. i need to test the one in my van too, since she uses that from time to time.
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #60
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i like the sure fires, but we have some innovas too. i like the scalloped/beveled edges on the cheap costco led lights, though. they can be sharpened up nicely, then retouched with black paint for some real cookie-cutter action in case you need to use it for defense. for the price (in the three pack, i think it's less than $9.00/light) it's a cheap disposable weapon if you ever need to use it and dispose of it quickly.
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #61
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
can i ask where you got that from? i usually get all of our stuff at Young Guns.
First off, Kimber Pepper Blaster II, an evolution of the original Kimber Guardian Angel. Got it on eBay. I can PM you the seller.

We did our homework, and AFAIK, especially on the seller, the sprayer conforms to all state laws re; OC defense sprays.

Trying to see if distribution in Hawaii either wholesale or otherwise might be an option for us.

Quote:
oh, that looks cool... but kinda awkward to use? the grip looks really small, unless you're supposed to palm it?
It's awesome. The tiny stub "grip" allows a natural point and deploy feel. It's a 1 finger grip, but since there's no recoil like a firearm, it's sufficient. If you've shot a stubby Glock like a 26, or a small frame auto, it's kind of instinctive (I have a small Jennings .22 auto that's about the same size). The conventional MK-3 and MK-4 sized sprayers have an either "hair spray" grip (I think you know what I'm talking about; dispense with index finger), or the "cop" grip (dispense with thumb). Both are sufficient as the design is currently the industry standard.

This one allows a presentation and rapid deployment and dispense in one clean move. The only drawback is that it's similar to a firearm in presentation, and might be mistaken for one. But like any weapon, it is only presented when no other option is available (i.e. run like heck).

Quote:
got my wife the pepper gel originally for people and loose animals, but with the number of attacks on joggers/walkers/people by the mentally ill (and then the judge tossing out the case on the mentally ill person who beat and raped the woman in mililani, before that the judge dismissing the case against the guy who stabbed and killed the teacher in Kapolei) and lack of consequences, i'm looking at other alternatives in addition to the gel spray.
Dealing with people of all backgrounds, sometimes under less-than-ideal conditions promoted my decision to protect myself. Not always packin, though. Part of my EDC rolling "office" (case with all my daily needs to office). That's another topic altogether.

Quote:
she's had her spray for about two years now and hasn't really tested it out, so i'm sure it's degraded somewhat, if it even has any propellant left. i need to test the one in my van too, since she uses that from time to time.
If your spray is outdated, go and practice with it. Not only may the OC be reduced in intensity (it usually isn't as I tried it on myself), but the propellant. You don't want to present and deploy only to find a dribble instead of a spray blast.

I bought my Mace brand products from Young Guns and will go there again. They're awesome folks. My OC gel sprayer expired and needs to be replaced. I wanted a MK-9 bear sprayer but they don't sell it there. Yet.
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #62
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Trying to see if distribution in Hawaii either wholesale or otherwise might be an option for us.

This one allows a presentation and rapid deployment and dispense in one clean move. The only drawback is that it's similar to a firearm in presentation, and might be mistaken for one. But like any weapon, it is only presented when no other option is available (i.e. run like heck).

Dealing with people of all backgrounds, sometimes under less-than-ideal conditions promoted my decision to protect myself. Not always packin, though. Part of my EDC rolling "office" (case with all my daily needs to office). That's another topic altogether.

If your spray is outdated, go and practice with it. Not only may the OC be reduced in intensity (it usually isn't as I tried it on myself), but the propellant. You don't want to present and deploy only to find a dribble instead of a spray blast.

I bought my Mace brand products from Young Guns and will go there again. They're awesome folks. My OC gel sprayer expired and needs to be replaced. I wanted a MK-9 bear sprayer but they don't sell it there. Yet.
Distribution might make a nice side option if nobody else carries it. With licensing, GE, business setup, etc... unless you can sell a bunch, might not be worth it since there used to be a lot of stores that carried various brands of pepper spray/gel.

we kinda got used to the thumb dispenser models. when we first got them, i had the wife practice taking it out of the belt holster and out of her purse until she can do it w/o looking. had her test fire the things again to see if their range decreased (maybe a little) but she still prefers the gel because it's less likely to spray back at her in the wind. they have kubotan pepper spray dispensers, but they're only good for about 5 ft and a spray, not a gel (although if you know pressure points, it's not a bad thing).

yup. had to work in some sketchy places with some sketchy people, never can be too careful. some people see a mentally ill person yelling at trees or talking to himself, some of these guys i know what they've done in the past. they may be mentally ill, but they're not stupid. they know nothing is going to happen to them if they go to court, some of them even play up the mental illness to make sure they get their cases dismissed. better to be safe than sorry, especially if they're already emboldened because they know there is essentially no consequences for their behavior.

will probably go to YG one of these weekends to see about replacing some of the outdated sprayers, might look at their cold steel tantos while i'm there...
Unread 03-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #63
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default EDC Keys and carriers

What do you guys carry your keys on? Key check! (pics if you can from Tapatalk pls.)

I like the Nite Ize S-biner, but it's not quite as "guarans" as conventional carabiners (even the ones "not meant for climbing".

I had a smaller black one (smaller than the desert tan one I have now), in aluminum, but somehow, it must've unclipped from where I stored it and now gone. The springy clips are fair at best, and the design allows it to sometimes squeeze open (like when I squat down my fat body) and pop! Keys drop.

Fortunately I still have all my keys so the biner must have been empty. But i'm looking at all other options. Even my old security "key silencer" (flexible wraparound sleeve that encloses the key bundle adn keeps it from jingling on the belt. But I don't want to add to my belt and look like a security guard or

And do you all put all kinds of stuff on your keychains? I just saw a friend's one with a Leatherman squirt, a flashlight, AND a bottle opener! Lots of stuff, I worry about his ignition in the car (not to put too much weight on it).
Unread 03-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #64
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i usually have two carabiners, one for work with all the keys on it, and one just for the car/home keys so it's not too heavy on the ignition cylinder. i keep my tactical led light and leatherman in a little bag i carry around w/ me so my belt doesn't get heavy. what else i carry sort of depends on where i'm going and what i need to do, but at least at the new job i have to carry around less (no two-way radio and work phone).
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #65
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
...will probably go to YG one of these weekends to see about replacing some of the outdated sprayers, might look at their cold steel tantos while i'm there...
Do you have any Cold Steel knives? Saw their online catalog and I was

They look expensive but the kind you buy once and never again. I would like to look for a fixed blade knife, and if not a mil-spec Ka-Bar, one of those tantos looks to fill my bill.
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #66
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:

They look expensive but the kind you buy once and never again. I would like to look for a fixed blade knife, and if not a mil-spec Ka-Bar, one of those tantos looks to fill my bill.
My friends have the fixed blade CS Tantos. Those things are inSANE. they stabbed a car hood in a junkyard and it went right through it. didn't even lose its edge. i have NO idea how it did that, but after i saw that, i always wanted one.

i want a Ka-bar for my collection, but i'd probably never use it or even take it camping. if i had a CS, i'd probably take it camping/fishing with me and actually use it. i'd probably also buy a CS folder too, maybe for daily carry when i get tired of my spydercos or benchmades and want to carry something different.

i use my benchmades and spydercos to dig dirt sometimes when the posts for the bases get filled in with dirt and we have to dig them out to insert the posts for the bases so they don't move around. i used to keep a putty knife in my gear bag to dig out the post holes, but i lent it out at the last tournament to another field and never saw it again.

they survive the digging pretty well and wash clean, don't really need to resharpen them often. if i had the CS, i don't think i'd be digging holes with that one (wouldn't feel right to use an expensive knife to dig holes with).
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #67
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:

was looking at this for my fixed blade: http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/13RTK_m.jpg

and something like this for my folder: http://www.coldsteel.com/images/prod...20SERIES_m.jpg
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #68
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Those look awesome, Bruce!

Yesterday, my family wanted to stop at Pearlridge (shopping center). First time I've gone in, in probably 3-4 years (only once before after moving back from Molokai).

There was a store in Phase 1, the one that has Kendamas all in front of it, but they've got some sweet gear in the back. There's all kinds of stuff (japanese models, car parts, motorcycle helmets, airsoft), but they had some pretty neat prepper stuff (water storage and purification, food supplies, power sources), and in the back, along with airsoft guns, was some gear made by Condor Outdoor (airsoft grade, but still plenty good for my purposes). I should have picked up what I was going to mail-order anyway, for the same price! They also had a whole section of great knives, including ones by Benchmade (I think...I was checking to see if it were counterfeits). But cheap.

Darn if I can't remember the name of the store. That sucks. But I remember where, so...
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #69
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Those look awesome, Bruce!

Yesterday, my family wanted to stop at Pearlridge (shopping center). First time I've gone in, in probably 3-4 years (only once before after moving back from Molokai).

There was a store in Phase 1, the one that has Kendamas all in front of it, but they've got some sweet gear in the back. There's all kinds of stuff (japanese models, car parts, motorcycle helmets, airsoft), but they had some pretty neat prepper stuff (water storage and purification, food supplies, power sources), and in the back, along with airsoft guns, was some gear made by Condor Outdoor (airsoft grade, but still plenty good for my purposes). I should have picked up what I was going to mail-order anyway, for the same price! They also had a whole section of great knives, including ones by Benchmade (I think...I was checking to see if it were counterfeits). But cheap.

Darn if I can't remember the name of the store. That sucks. But I remember where, so...
Razor sports/Razor concepts?

Their prices are pretty good. I started picking up kendamas there for The Boy(tm) because their prices are competitive with online, and no shipping.

I thought about going online for knives, but prefer to feel the knife and the action, balance before purchase. I need to get down to Young Guns one of these years...
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #70
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

That's the one! Razor Sports.

I don't go shopping too much, much less at an airsoft specialty store like Power Edge, so going into this "mall" store and knowing they have Condor Outdoor products for the same as what I was going to purchase online is nice.

Of course, now I'm saying, "I should have bought that 1st responder rig..." Now I really don't know when I'm going back that way.

I'm just not an impulse shopper, you can ask Lois, she got tired of waiting for me to drop in 5 0 7 C for some mark white ceramic lures (of which I still have put aside $ for. )
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #71
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
That's the one! Razor Sports.

I don't go shopping too much, much less at an airsoft specialty store like Power Edge, so going into this "mall" store and knowing they have Condor Outdoor products for the same as what I was going to purchase online is nice.

Of course, now I'm saying, "I should have bought that 1st responder rig..." Now I really don't know when I'm going back that way.

I'm just not an impulse shopper, you can ask Lois, she got tired of waiting for me to drop in 5 0 7 C for some mark white ceramic lures (of which I still have put aside $ for. )
heh... just say you're going to get your kids kendamas, and...

oh, LOOK! in the back of the store!

just what i always needed....

hmmm.... lures... wish i still had time to go fishing. when i started, we were shortstaffed by one. now my supervisor got promoted out, so we're down by two and i'm still learning the ropes...

every day is a whole new learnin' experience... i just have to start learnin' a whole lot faster. would.
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #72
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

I'm so pake, I begin to justify NOT NEEDING what I want, saying "I can always come back later for it".

Trouble is, I don't know when that day will be. And truth be told, it's not a need, it's a want.

I've been improvising from Home Depot, Lowe's, and City Mill, utilizing things like cell phone pouches, Pock-its, and other utility pouches and bags, to facilitate my EDC/ bug-out/ get home gear. The holster for my pepper shooter for example, is a "Husky" cell phone holder from HD, modified to accommodate the shooter. I can wear it out in public and no one would bat an eye.

My reason for doing this is simple. SO many YouTube "preppers" have this fascination to be dressed up like a SEAL, a SOCOM operator, or a Green Beret or Marine Scout Sniper. They get the baddest looking, fiercest, most "tactical" gear they can get, so when the SHTF they can "gear up" and go out.

And get shot on the spot by LE, or National Guard (supposing martial law, for example).

There's too many militia and wanna-bes out there...it would get chaotic if everyone wore their airsoft cammies out in public if it ever got bad.

I want to try to make myself look as LEAST tactical as possible. The farthest I go is maybe cargo pants...but everyone has those so not bad, still can blend in. For example, I just picked up a Swiss Gear commuter's backpack from Ross for 12 dollars. I shopped carefully to see what kinds of fasteners, pockets, pouches, and anchor points are on the pack for my needs, yet look more like a nerdy tech backpack. It is black, but hardly tactical in appearance. I was going to buy the Hello Kitty one for 10 bucks but even that looked more "tactical" than the Swiss Gear one. Plus Hello Kitty is too violent.
Unread 03-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #73
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
I'm so pake, I begin to justify NOT NEEDING what I want, saying "I can always come back later for it".

Trouble is, I don't know when that day will be. And truth be told, it's not a need, it's a want.
yeah, i'm famous for doing that too, and then when TSHTF, i'm always saying "i shoulda" and my wife is Gibbs-slapping my head. that's how we finally ended up with the generator - i always said "can't afford it, what are the chances, etc" ... and then we get hit with a blackout. wife threw me in the van and drove it to aloha power and bought the eu2000i. i was just there for lifting the thing into the van.

i generally try to spend wisely or do without so i can get my wife the stuff she needs or better equipment for my son when he needs it (baseball and karate stuff is expensive - his new leg guards were almost $150, but for catchers, it's worth it.).

Quote:
I've been improvising from Home Depot, Lowe's, and City Mill, utilizing things like cell phone pouches, Pock-its, and other utility pouches and bags, to facilitate my EDC/ bug-out/ get home gear. The holster for my pepper shooter for example, is a "Husky" cell phone holder from HD, modified to accommodate the shooter. I can wear it out in public and no one would bat an eye.
hahaha!!! i thought i was the only one that did that... our pepper sprays are in flashlight/cell phone holsters so they don't look like anything, our ASP batons are in flashlight holsters with flip tops so you can't tell what's in them, i used a large cell phone holster for my two-way radio. i go to that military surplus place (it's in 99 Ranch now) for nite-eyez holsters and other things. son uses them for carrying his cub scout gear when hiking or camping - they're really handy.
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #74
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default EDC USB drives

Okay, change subject...usb drives (c'mon, more than Bruce has one on them, right? )

I'm using an old hP 16g stick. But I'm really trying to find this;

16GB Tuff-n-Tiny usb drive by Verbatim

No one has it in-store. Office Depot is backordered/ may not have it anymore. Best Buy you can get online from another supplier. It's the tiniest drive I could find, though it doesn't have a safety cap or cover on it.

I use a USB drive for everything nowadays. I can do my work at home, office (my macbook), or on my netbook at McD's or Starbucks.

The hP stick is a touch big for my pockets and I don't want to put it on my keyring. The tuff-n-tiny, I would.

But what brand and type, and any reasons why (unless it was just cheap and available). We have a 3 pack of San Disk Ultra 16GBs that we got from Costco b/c they were cheap. They're our cheap backup for our home computer.
Unread 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #75
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Okay, change subject...usb drives (c'mon, more than Bruce has one on them, right? )

But what brand and type, and any reasons why (unless it was just cheap and available). We have a 3 pack of San Disk Ultra 16GBs that we got from Costco b/c they were cheap. They're our cheap backup for our home computer.
actually, i don't use one of those with this new job... we use Sharepoint and possibly onedrive or other cloud-based storage to store, share, and move files around. i really don't want any files with confidential information on my work laptop since i have to take it to job sites and do meetings and trainings with it. Thumb drives get lost all the time, or you can accidentally grab the wrong one (we got a three pack from costco, and i'm constantly grabbing the wrong one and ending up with wife's or son's files).

when i don't need to, i leave the work laptop at work and use my surface pro 2 instead for working on the road or at home so cloud storage is easier that way, too (if i have to i can tether off my phone).

if a super-secure thumb drive with some kind of password or lock so you can't remove the cover or expose the plug portion was affordable, i might consider it, though. that way even if i lost it, it wouldn't be as easy to access (if you can't remove the cover to plug it in w/o destroying it, and proprietary encryption to access files).

Facebook Comments