Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #101
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
heh...

i've got immodium and zyrtec in little blister pacs that i carry around in my daily carry bag. never know when you'll need either (although if i could only take one, it would have to be the immodium). you can get chewable immodium too so you don't even need water.

in my backpack i also keep a small tube of sunscreen - my son always forgets to use sunscreen before going out in the sun, so it's come in handy from time to time.

oh, and those little bath and body hand sanitizer scented bottles, and handi-wipes.

Awesome ideas. I will look for Zyrtec! I have Purell in another module.

Here's my favorite module; Food module.

There are times when you just don't want to leave the office, or are socked in, or even stuck in traffic and far from a McDs. This is the solution.

It's a CLC medium clip pouch with a few good things;

- usually 2 Clif bars
- at least 1 or 2 granola bars
- tea packs
- 1-2 Starbucks VIA packs
- wet ones wipes

I had protein in the form of beef jerky, but emergency necessitated its use.

This is clipped at the rear of the book compartment (back compartment).

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #102
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

"72 Hour Pack"

This is something I was interested in for quite some time, and I made this last year as a supplement to whatever EDC I would be toting at the time.

It was loosely based on the "SAS Survival Pouch" as seen on some YouTube videos. The SAS pouch was meant to sustain a soldier for about 72 hours utilizing the equipment provided along with some common sense training, until self-rescue could be effected. It was meant to be placed in a BDU thigh pocket until needed.

The main components of the pack were modular and attended to the basics; food, water, cover (shelter), first aid.

For my pouch, I assembled it according to a particular scenario; to get home, approx. 14 miles (Enchanted Lake to Kapalama), on foot, with no assistance (assuming vehicle travel impossible), and in my normal EDC mode (see this thread for current EDC). So I'd have my multi-tool, knife, flashlight, defense, and phone. I added in addition to the basics, some hygiene and fire making, as well as some miscellaneous items that might help the trip home (which I estimate in my physical condition, 12-18 hours).

Here's the pouch; a Husky brand utility pouch from Home Depot. I clipped one of our FRS radios to one side and placed my no brand single AA LED flashlight in the other holder.

Here it is unpacked (and ready for another makeover).

Inside are these components:

- disposable poncho
- space rescue "wrap", 4' x 6'
- (4) 10" zip ties
- (8) 4" zip ties
- (6) mini binder clips

- medical pack; contains most basic wound care and treatment, including severe bleeding (quick clot packet)

- 2' of gaffer's black tape
- folding lockback knife
- 1 Starbucks VIA pack
- 1 energy food bar
- 1 pack soda crackers
- 2 packets shoyu (makes anything taste good + protein)
- 4 Wet Ones hygiene wipes
- 2 Wet Ones flush able toilet wipes
- 1 MRE beverage bag (1qt.)
- match pack; book matches + toilet paper
- supplement pack; boat matches + TP

In this last configuration I had it set for hurricane, so I added my Altoids Urban EDC can fill of stuff.

I cleaned out the pack to upgrade and restock...had beef jerky but chomped that a while back. I added;

- 1 mini pack JIF peanut butter
- 1 granola bar
- 1 CLIF bar
- 1 Belvita breakfast wafers.

I upped the calories to over 700...enough to tie over hunger while making my way home. Going to look for a meat based protein that I can pack along too.
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #103
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,884.85
Act162this is on a distinguished road

that's a cool kit! how do you fit all of that into the pack? i have my stuff in a go-bag (spare backpack) but i don't have near that amount of stuff. i think i focused more of food, tp, flashlight, lighter, and meds - not sure why i never thought of the other things, but duct tape and leatherman, etc... are excellent ideas.
Unread 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #104
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
that's a cool kit! how do you fit all of that into the pack? i have my stuff in a go-bag (spare backpack) but i don't have near that amount of stuff. i think i focused more of food, tp, flashlight, lighter, and meds - not sure why i never thought of the other things, but duct tape and leatherman, etc... are excellent ideas.
Thanks! You should make one too! It's kind of fun actually, thinking through and preparing something you can clip on your belt and just book it....if you have an EDC or bug-out backpack this is just icing on the cake, and you can still ditch your backpack if you need to, and have enough to tie you over.

The Husky utility pouch is generously sized (for its external dimensions) and has two internal pockets in the "clamshell" halves. The "cover/shelter" items are packed in the half closest to the body (belt clip half), because it's most likely the last thing to come out. The food, on the other hand, is probably the first to come out, hence it's in the "front" half, and in the external pocket on the pack.

I tried to make things fit so they won't spill out when I pull the pack open. Certain things i could just stuff, others I used as stiffeners (like the large zip ties) to help stiffen the pack (which is pretty stiff already).

I am in need of a mini bic lighter, some Potable Agua tablets (so can purify water chemically; I know of at least four sources of fresh, almost drinkable water on the "commute" home over the mountain...) and my kit will be complete.

I tried to use components that could mix and match to creatively cover me (should I need to sit low overnight), provide "protection" (i.e. make fire), and make my way back with enough thinking and practiced skills. I even wanted to try walking home one day.... on second thought, with all that zooming traffic on Pali, Honolulu bound, never mind.
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #105
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
I am in need of a mini bic lighter, some Potable Agua tablets (so can purify water chemically; I know of at least four sources of fresh, almost drinkable water on the "commute" home over the mountain...) and my kit will be complete.

I tried to use components that could mix and match to creatively cover me (should I need to sit low overnight), provide "protection" (i.e. make fire), and make my way back with enough thinking and practiced skills. I even wanted to try walking home one day.... on second thought, with all that zooming traffic on Pali, Honolulu bound, never mind.
wow... i am impressed! you put some serious thought into that pack!

i didn't put anywhere near that effort into my backpack (probably because i wasn't so concerned about space - i wasn't trying to fit everything into a little package and was more thinking about stuff for my son instead).

i was actually thinking about a zippo lighter over bic/butane because it can be multi-fuel, and is sort of windproof (at least that's what they say). the other choice was a butane torch lighter, so i could use it as a lighter or a torch for small soldering, etc... jobs.

i have a camelback with a water purification hand pump so we're okay there. i have a metal vintage us army surplus canteen plus canteen cup, so i can boil water in the cup with some pine needles for vitamins and hydration and store it in the canteen if need be.

we've also got some cowboy matches in an old 35mm film cannister for waterproofing wrapped in toilet paper for tinder. also got some steel wool for polishing stuff/removing rust/scale and if need be, for lighting fires in the rain by shorting across a battery terminals.
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #106
bandits1
Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 6,029.29
bandits1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i was actually thinking about a zippo lighter over bic/butane because it can be multi-fuel, and is sort of windproof (at least that's what they say). the other choice was a butane torch lighter, so i could use it as a lighter or a torch for small soldering, etc... jobs.
I'd say it's wind-resistant. It'll stay lit in pretty high wind but the flame will be moving all over the place.

"A good compromise leaves everybody mad."

- Calvin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #107
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:

i have a camelback with a water purification hand pump so we're okay there. i have a metal vintage us army surplus canteen plus canteen cup, so i can boil water in the cup with some pine needles for vitamins and hydration and store it in the canteen if need be.

we've also got some cowboy matches in an old 35mm film cannister for waterproofing wrapped in toilet paper for tinder. also got some steel wool for polishing stuff/removing rust/scale and if need be, for lighting fires in the rain by shorting across a battery terminals.
Awesome stuff! Thank you for the ideas, I will implement some of them!

My main interest was minimal space, a fanny pack or similar (this Husky belt pouch is about the same size, except with a clip for a belt, or to clip to MOLLE webbing on a pack, or even a shoulder strap to augment a bug out backpack)... thus the MRE folding water bag. I'd love to have a metal tin to boil water in (such as your GI canteen or even the metal cup). I'm looking to replace the MRE bag with a vapur brand collapsible water bottle; that has a carabiner that allows a filled bottle to be clipped to the belt as a supply while walking.

Now that I'm on meds (just one pill/day but that still bothers me), I have been keeping my pill bottles, and peeling off the labels. They are perfect size for cowboy matches! Also love the idea of steel wool (just bought some 0000 wool to "clean" my windows and windshield on my truck) and will make a tiny "stash" to utilize in case I can find a 9v battery to start a fire (good to have as many fire options as possible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits1 View Post
I'd say it's wind-resistant. It'll stay lit in pretty high wind but the flame will be moving all over the place.
I'd love a zippo lighter, but the mini bic is disposable, and (especially the white color) you can see how much fuel is in the lighter before it needs replacing. Can't do that with a zippo (or can you?)

I wouldn't mind carrying a zippo lighter as part of my EDC....just got to justify having (and refilling) one. I don't smoke, and I had cut down as much of my EDC, and not sure about adding a lighter to it.
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #108
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default EDC Knives

Quick. Look in your pocket.

What kind of knife do you carry?

If not, what kind of knife do you want to carry? Discuss.

They really are a life-saver in so many ways. I have my Spyderco Salt H1 folder that I've been carrying for years. Still holds the edge, doesn't rust after many sweaty days, not even close to being loose and "wobbly", and doesn't look like a "weapon" knife (though it's a tac-knife for the most part)

I'm looking for another possible carry knife. I have a Gerber titanium, but the blade is tiny (2") and isn't really that practical aside from a backup for the backup kind of knife. Hm.
Unread 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #109
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Quick. Look in your pocket.

What kind of knife do you carry?

If not, what kind of knife do you want to carry? Discuss.

They really are a life-saver in so many ways. I have my Spyderco Salt H1 folder that I've been carrying for years. Still holds the edge, doesn't rust after many sweaty days, not even close to being loose and "wobbly", and doesn't look like a "weapon" knife (though it's a tac-knife for the most part)

I'm looking for another possible carry knife. I have a Gerber titanium, but the blade is tiny (2") and isn't really that practical aside from a backup for the backup kind of knife. Hm.
spyderco endura police model, black zytel handle for daily. sturdy, durable, holds an edge, blade long enough to get the job done and affordable (i have a couple).

for hiking/jogging/beach, spyderco Salt h1 or benchmade (regular or teflon coated blade). sturdy, durable, not too expensive so i won't feel bad if i accidentally lose it if it falls off my surf shorts at the beach going SUP. they're probably over 10 years old, faded, scuffed up from years of daily use before relegated to beach/outdoorsy activities, but still work when i need them. i've even used them with a flint/steel for starting fires out on the trail when camping (probably voided a warranty right there).

depending on what i'm wearing, i may take out my s/s spyderco police model or my camo SOG spring assist folder. s/s is kind of obvious but not too obtrusive or blingy. the SOG is a bit thick for jeans, and it's a bit scary to open because it flips out so violently (if you're not GRABBING the thing it will jump right out of your hand).

my next investment will probably be a cold steel tanto folder just for giggles, or maybe a fixed blade tanto just because i've always wanted one.

my old standby is my trusty leatherman or gerber multi-tool, depending on what i grab first when i reach into my drawer. those things have helped me out more times than i can count. i keep them in my carry bag, not on my person since they're so heavy they make my pants sag when i wear them on my belt.

Facebook Comments