Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Scale Auto, RC Hobbies & Racing

Scale Auto, RC Hobbies & Racing General Scale, Auto & RC Discussion

Unread 05-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
young_version
New and Improved RC Pilot

Additional Info
In the TAMIYA factory
Credits: 2,830.90
young_version has disabled reputation
Default M-04-M-L Tech thread

Burt maybe you can sticky these! it's getting hard too find useful info while filtering through pink thongs and chit chat. im going to make a sub-catagory for each vehicle of interest.
Guys these threads are meant only for info, not chit chat gibberish. thanks, if you got a problem with that, dont post in these threads, ill delete them myself.
Team Zig Zag
BDU Strike Unit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 10,219.30
InspGadgt is on a distinguished road

These are information threads. Please stay on topic. Sillyness will be deleted from these threads...you have other threads for that.
Unread 05-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
TRFracer
Cruncher

Additional Info
Pearl Harbor
Credits: 2,082.10
TRFracer is on a distinguished road

i dont know anything about M-04....but i wanna learn!

anybody got an M-04 i can borrow?
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
inpuressa
Big Surf

Additional Info
Credits: 2,426.50
inpuressa is on a distinguished road

M04 link:

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/fico_takashi/archive/c228350

again in JPN, but you can get ideas from the pics.
Unread 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
TRFracer
Cruncher

Additional Info
Pearl Harbor
Credits: 2,082.10
TRFracer is on a distinguished road

anyone wanna sell/trade their used M04?
Unread 06-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
young_version
New and Improved RC Pilot

Additional Info
In the TAMIYA factory
Credits: 2,830.90
young_version has disabled reputation

hey guys theres not enough posts in this one to keep it stuck so im probably gonna merge the thread with the m-03 one. ill call it tamiya mini.
Team Zig Zag
BDU Strike Unit
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
inpuressa
Big Surf

Additional Info

For all you M04 drivers, try using zero rebound on the front shocks. This means to have some preload on the springs, so having the shocks to the correct length is vital. Try using 6mm inner collars as a start(CVA super mini).

I was told that having the rear diff near locking is good. Any take on this? I'll be experimenting soon on this though.
Unread 07-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

In F1 I found having the diff tight on a RWD car helped keep the car planted better in the corners. I ran my F103 diff tight because of the low traction surface we ran on. It does however make controlling acceleration a bit more difficult.
Unread 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
RATBASTARD
Gremlin

Additional Info
EWA
Credits: 1,448.20
RATBASTARD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt
In F1 I found having the diff tight on a RWD car helped keep the car planted better in the corners. I ran my F103 diff tight because of the low traction surface we ran on. It does however make controlling acceleration a bit more difficult.
I have my diff tight right now and it still fish tails on moderate acceleration.
I will try to get the same set up as my f103 with minimal slip, but I am worried the ta03 diff nut may back out over time.

I would like to try the 3racing adjustable diff maybe it might help to fine tune the differential on the minis.

Last edited by RATBASTARD; 07-17-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Unread 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Manny
Cruncher

Additional Info
Credits: 1,671.80
Manny is on a distinguished road

What pinion gear are we allowed to use on the M04?
Unread 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
InspGadgt
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBASTARD
I have my diff tight right now and it still fish tails on moderate acceleration.
I will try to get the same set up as my f103 with minimal slip, but I am worried the ta03 diff nut may back out over time.

I would like to try the 3racing adjustable diff maybe it might help to fine tune the differential on the minis.
Tight diff helps when loose in cornering but may make acceleration loose if you get on the throttle too hard. Loose diff makes acceleration easier but doesn't seem to have as much grip in the corners. You might also try setting a throttle curve or running a higher drive frequency on your ESC if programmable.
Unread 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
inpuressa
Big Surf

Additional Info

Well, it was an unexpected win with the m04. I think it's the first time I did so well with this car. The two problems with this chassis is that 1:it is very sensitive to track conditions and 2:loses neutral position easily.
The first problem is probably due to the fact that the grip balance between F/R is at a very fine threshhold, and subtle track temp changes makes the car more loose at the rear.
The second one is caused by the servo saver that, unfortunately no one makes an aftermarket one with an arm that long. Little bumps and roadrail launching causes it to veer left or right, and I have to make quick st.trim adjustments as I drive to keep it going straight. Then whatever tweak it had will correct after a lap or two, and I have to set it back to how it was.
Despite all that, the car handled great. Still debating if I should switch my electronics from my m03 though...

Last edited by inpuressa; 08-27-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info
Credits: 2,840.23
Xtant3150c is on a distinguished road

Yah man your M04M was on rails yesterday! At least from our eyes hehehe

Is it possible that maybe the servo saver was stripped? Or Warn Out?

You really got me thinking about a M04M now?

That's a tough call on the electronics swap? With the M04 being more sensative to track conditions it would be hard to know when the conditions are right for it? Or you just take the chance and go for it!
Unread 08-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
inpuressa
Big Surf

Additional Info

I put in a brand new servo saver so there's not much I can do there. I used an old 4735 servo(about 10yrs). Could the gears in the servo be worn out? I remember that the steering tweak was not this bad when I had a new digital servo.

I think the car will handle well as long as the syrup mixture stays the same. Maybe it has to be grape flavor lol. But if I ran the car in the first heat, when tires were still getting glazed, it would've been a different story.
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
@SHCRASHEM
Curb crawler

Additional Info
Listening to voices in my head.
Credits: 1,637.05
@SHCRASHEM is on a distinguished road

try the duratrax servo saver, its a ltlle longer than the stock.

try switching servos, you may have stripped a tooth.

Last edited by @SHCRASHEM; 08-27-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged
Unread 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #16
nobody
-nobody-

Additional Info
Credits: 1,587.85
nobody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa
Well, it was an unexpected win with the m04. I think it's the first time I did so well with this car. The two problems with this chassis is that 1:it is very sensitive to track conditions and 2:loses neutral position easily.
The first problem is probably due to the fact that the grip balance between F/R is at a very fine threshhold, and subtle track temp changes makes the car more loose at the rear.
The second one is caused by the servo saver that, unfortunately no one makes an aftermarket one with an arm that long. Little bumps and roadrail launching causes it to veer left or right, and I have to make quick st.trim adjustments as I drive to keep it going straight. Then whatever tweak it had will correct after a lap or two, and I have to set it back to how it was.
Despite all that, the car handled great. Still debating if I should switch my electronics from my m03 though...
You remind me of Michael Schumacher-always making adjustment to his car while driving. The car is one thing, but part of it is your driving skill. Time to bring the bug master to give you a little competition, no wait bug master was running a "bushless" motor...j/k

nobody here... so is "anybody", "somebody" there? any takers? Wouldn't that be cool if "somebody" took first, and "anybody" second and nobody cares...
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Well ThanX to B aka dnf I now have an M04M to play with

Have not had time to test it out yet so will most likely not be racing it on Sunday. And still need to pick up some shocks for it. Also not sure my trigger finger is up to par to drive this car?hehe

Am I right in thinking that I now want a soft front suspension and stiff rear suspension with this car?

Thinking though that I might harvest the shocks from my Swift to use on the M04M? But we will see? Maybe I'll give it a run in the 1st qualifier and if it's not going well I'll switch back to the Swift?
Unread 09-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
R.C. Carmudgeon
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,855.15
R.C. Carmudgeon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant3150c
Well ThanX to B aka dnf I now have an M04M to play with

Have not had time to test it out yet so will most likely not be racing it on Sunday. And still need to pick up some shocks for it. Also not sure my trigger finger is up to par to drive this car?hehe

Am I right in thinking that I now want a soft front suspension and stiff rear suspension with this car?

Thinking though that I might harvest the shocks from my Swift to use on the M04M? But we will see? Maybe I'll give it a run in the 1st qualifier and if it's not going well I'll switch back to the Swift?
OH Noooo

Hard front, softer rear springs and oil!
Unread 09-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Mahalo's for the info Dave!
Unread 09-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Had a very good learing experience with the M04M today!

Thanks to Dave and Keiji for the information!!

I have to say that I am pretty much hooked on it now!hehehe

Not saying I am going to hang up the M03M just yet, but I plan on getting the parts needed so that I don't have to share parts!hehehe And will be able to have both ready to go.

The car felt really hooked up in the main with the RP36r's front and back. Running the short short blue springs up front and the red short springs out back. Using the 3Racing shocks I had on the M03M with 35wt. oil in them and 2 hole pistons.
Unread 09-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #21
Manny
Cruncher

Additional Info

What inserts are you guys using for the rear? Soft molded or soft foam or does it matter?
Unread 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #22
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

I think I have RP medium-soft foam rubber inserts both front and rear in my RP 36r's.
Unread 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #23
Manny
Cruncher

Additional Info

Cool! That's almost what I run on my M03 (hard front insert, soft back)! BTW who still has the Mazda Eunos Roadster body?
Unread 09-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
Shut d's
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,856.25
Shut d's is on a distinguished road

man you guy's are killing me! so most of the top drivers are using the 04. i guess i should have waited before buying what i thought was a spec class chassis. would i have bought the 03 for it's performance hell no, for it's big loud gears hell no. i bought under the impression that is what you specificly need to have to enter this class. i really wanted to race only sedan, but now most of the top diver's are switching to the 04. who's next you fjr or maybe you gadget. well i have very little money to switch chassis's now so i'm kind of stuck driving my a$$ off to keep up with these very efficiant 04's. i will finish the season off with my 03 then i'm done with that class. i really want to drive the 1/12 class. i should have one by our next race.

SDR
RFI
Unread 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
Manny
Cruncher

Additional Info

Initially Keiji raced an 04 but wasn't so competitive against the 03's because it didn't have enough rear traction . He switched to an 03 and was instantly competitive. He's winning with his 04 now (and Xtant is doing really well) becaue he did his homework and experimented with settings and the new range of tires that just came out last summer.

My main beef with the 03 is it's instability when hitting a bump. I can live with the massive wheelspin under accelleration but the high CG just kills me! When I drive my sedan I can slightly clip the corner dots to get a fast line around a corner. Try that with an 03 and you flip because of the high CG. Keiji's car looks incredibly stable. I believe can be beaten with an 03 but you'll have to drive pretty hard and flawlessly.

Who knows, maybe someone (like Shut D, Kila, Burt, Frank or Jesus) will come up with a killer 03 setup to swing the favor back to fwd. On the bright side, all of your 03 hop-ups will work on the 04 so it's only the cost of the car to switch.

Last edited by Manny; 09-26-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Facebook Comments