Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 02-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #26
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,036.70
Act162this is on a distinguished road

oh, and there are even air guns that are recommended for survivalists that run off an air pump (compressed air) that shoot up to .25 pellets and can take down goats, small pigs, and smaller animals. that way you never run out of ammo (provided you have the pellets - if you run out of air, you've got bigger things to worry about).

i've been looking at a pcp or co2 air rifle or pistol to go with my springer. that way i can use a regular scope or N/V scope for nighttime plinking (the double recoil of the springers destroys scopes that aren't specifically made for this purpose).

our friend taught my son to make his own arrows - we bought the parts from a local archery shop that he told us to, and yesterday they cut down the shafts and installed the tips, nocks, and fletching. once they dry, they'll probably take the Boxalope(tm) out and shoot the poor guy. he thought my son's Boxalope(tm) was hilarious.

wish my son could pick some cheaper hobbies, though...
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #27
zff
F1 Fan

Additional Info
Credits: 5,393.95
zff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
As more of our HT friends return here from FB, I figured I'd confess a secret hobby.

I'm a prepper.
LOL. You almost sound like you're at a 12-step meeting!

Have any of you ever seen the site about the guy who survived Hurricane Katrina? I read it years ago, and it got me interested in the concept of prepping. It's a long read but well worth it.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #28
zff
F1 Fan

Additional Info

Do you guys have anything for water purification?
Unread 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Do you guys have anything for water purification?

Not me right now.

We have a Brita filtered pitcher for our house water, just because we see how loaded with minerals our tap water is. We have a Coleman 3 gallon cooler that we keep filtered ice water in all day.

I've wanted to get an Aqua Rain or Pro Pure gravity filter, or make a homemade drip filter, for two reasons, 1) we have 300 gallons of rain water available much of the time, and 2) my neighbor has a drainage well that dewaters his property that I can access close by; unlimited water for watering, or filtered and purified for hygiene and drinking. No need BWS, and add a composting toilet and we can be independent of the whole water system.

Unfortunately we will be moving in April so that will be gone. Our new destination is along a spring fed stream so I will see if we can make that work in a pinch.

And I'm still shopping for a survival straw that I can take fishing or camping.

Sent from my NEXTEL i1000 using Tapatalk
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

I've got some portable hand-pump and cup type filters, iodine tablets, and a multi-fuel hiking stove to boil water.

still working on catchment system tapping the rain gutters into barrels. Son showed how to make a ghetto filter with rocks, gravel, and sand that we might use for a crude filter into the barrels. Won't be drinkable, but usable as is or potable if boiled.
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #31
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

gotta get my little Honda generator serviced - fired it up over the weekend to see if it still worked so i could get a pitching machine, and it runs/idles funny and puffs smoke like puff the magic dragon (tm).
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #32
zff
F1 Fan

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
gotta get my little Honda generator serviced - fired it up over the weekend to see if it still worked so i could get a pitching machine, and it runs/idles funny and puffs smoke like puff the magic dragon (tm).
Someone recently gave me a 3500W Honda generator that didn't work. I tried to fix it myself, but it turned out the carb was all gummed up and I wasn't willing to take it apart. I took it to Windward Shoe and Small Engine Repair, and they fixed it in a few days for $125 (includes new spark plug and air filter). The dude who works there is friendly and helpful, and I was very happy with them overall.
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #33
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
LOL. You almost sound like you're at a 12-step meeting!

Have any of you ever seen the site about the guy who survived Hurricane Katrina? I read it years ago, and it got me interested in the concept of prepping. It's a long read but well worth it.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons
Thanks! (yeah, I don't come across as a "prepper" type. I have two guns, hardly an arsenal. I don't have camo clothing, my urban preps make me to look like a UH student rather than a SPEC OPS soldier...more "stealth" than anything else. I do have some things that borrow off of military operations protocols, mainly for survival and evasion/escape assistance.)

I will adapt HYST before the SHTF. I like that. Thank you for passing the link.
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Someone recently gave me a 3500W Honda generator that didn't work. I tried to fix it myself, but it turned out the carb was all gummed up and I wasn't willing to take it apart. I took it to Windward Shoe and Small Engine Repair, and they fixed it in a few days for $125 (includes new spark plug and air filter). The dude who works there is friendly and helpful, and I was very happy with them overall.
Thanks!

Aloha Power is kinda expensive - i've been holding off on taking mr. generator there. i'll see if i can get out to Windward shoe this weekend in between games. don't need it right away, but if i don't get it serviced, it may not work when i really need it.
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #35
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 66,231.25
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Mike Ward is a great guy, though...he hooked me up with a Honda EU 2000 and that baby has been super useful ever since. He's the man. I also purchased a great weedwhacker from him and it's been going strong. Good stuff.
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #36
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Mike Ward is a great guy, though...he hooked me up with a Honda EU 2000 and that baby has been super useful ever since. He's the man. I also purchased a great weedwhacker from him and it's been going strong. Good stuff.
He is at that windward shop?

His name sounds familiar, for some reason...
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #37
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 66,231.25
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

He's like the head dude...I'm not sure if he owns it or what, but he used to participate in all of our track events. Great guy, and probably one of the best drivers here in Hawaii.
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #38
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ah, okay... i thought the name sounded familiar. thanks! will try to get the generator out there. maybe while i'm out there, he can tune up my weedwhacker and leafblower too... i use those things a lot more now that i'm helping out with field maintenance in the spring baseball season.
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #39
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Food banks

Well, moving along, anyone stash any food?

I won't show pics, but we have five (5) 5 gallon buckets from Lowe's (silver kind). We put a Mylarâ„¢ liner in each and filled with 20 lbs. of white calrose rice. Vacuum and heat sealed. According to the website my wife went to they last 10-15 years this way as long as the vacuum isn't released.

In addition to our kitchen pantry, which has a couple weeks of goods, we also have about 2 months worth of canned food. SPAM (survival meat), 2 cases. 2 cases (box tray) with assorted canned veggies, mainly corn, spinach, tomato paste, green beans. One tray of canned goodies (stew, ravioli, chili, Pork and Beans, kidney beans). Quite a stash of tuna (small cans, not one giant one). All under two beds in the bedroom.

And of course our pantry is always pretty full. Lots of dried japanese things (shiitake mushrooms, long rice noodles, soba and somen etc.)

We had one case of bottled water per person (4 cases). We need to restock as we borrowed it for functions, etc.

Our cans are dated with "use by" dates in black sharpie on TOP of the cans. We rotate stock with regularity and consume our goods to stay current.

Our garden "had" Manoa lettuce, green onions, taro, araimo (Japanese sweet potato like taro), spinach, kale, asparagus, mizuna and assorted greens, eggplant, cucumber, okra. Plus Meyer lemon, mango and several papaya trees. Since we're moving we have dismantled the garden and taro patch, removed the papaya trees, and planting grass back again (in one month hopefully).
Our new home has much less dirt space but an awesome 30' rack where orchids were grown so wife is going with lots of box and tray gardens. And we were given the okay to harvest rain with our barrels. yay!

So. Are we the only nuts or does anyone else prepare their supplies to feed self and family?
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #40
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

nothing fancy, just a stash of canned goods, veggies, soups, bottled H2O for drinking and gallon milk/juice jugs filled with water and a couple of drops of bleach for non-potable uses. also got several bags of rice stashed in sealed plastic bins, but we rotate those after we discovered that if they sit too long, sometimes they get "buggy".
Unread 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #41
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info
Credits: 3,465.92
nlm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, moving along, anyone stash any food?

Our cans are dated with "use by" dates in black sharpie on TOP of the cans. We rotate stock with regularity and consume our goods to stay current.

So. Are we the only nuts or does anyone else prepare their supplies to feed self and family?
That's a great idea! I should do that too with our cans. We date our frozen items.

Hubby's always making fun of me for "stocking" up, but our pantries are small and I like the comfortable feeling of having a well-stocked pantry. We're definitely not as prepared as you or Act162this or others on this thread.
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #42
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
That's a great idea! I should do that too with our cans. We date our frozen items.

Hubby's always making fun of me for "stocking" up, but our pantries are small and I like the comfortable feeling of having a well-stocked pantry. We're definitely not as prepared as you or Act162this or others on this thread.
Our children have the task of maintaining the food inventory, marking new arrivals, pulling food that is up to the date, and logging in what comes and goes so we have a fairly consistent inventory. We pull out the cases from under the bed every other month or so to check on everything.

The house we're moving into has a LOT more space (moving from a galley kitchen to one where 3-4 people can work at one time), so our storage options will be much more flexible now (maybe no under-bed storage...or maybe still.)

We just believe that to have adequate supply of necessities will minimize stress and anxiety if something does happen (not just end of the world stuff); even when had the last tsunami, we had adequate supplies to last us 2 weeks (TP, paper towels, plates, etc. and food/water). As soon as I realized what I was watching on NHK was live and happening, I rushed to the gas station to fill my truck (wife's Explorer was already full).30 minutes later when I drove to our warehouse to get ice for our coolers, on my return trip, EVERY gas station I passed had lines and traffic. I went home and chilled out until I went to secure the office b4 the cops chased me away (closing all the roads by where I worked @ Sand Island).

Prepared = stress free.

HYST = prepared

SHTF = too late.

Eat your yard, grow gardens not lawns.
Unread 03-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #43
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info

Quote:
The house we're moving into has a LOT more space (moving from a galley kitchen to one where 3-4 people can work at one time), so our storage options will be much more flexible now (maybe no under-bed storage...or maybe still.)

We just believe that to have adequate supply of necessities will minimize stress and anxiety if something does happen (not just end of the world stuff); even when had the last tsunami, we had adequate supplies to last us 2 weeks (TP, paper towels, plates, etc. and food/water).

Prepared = stress free.

HYST = prepared

SHTF = too late.

Eat your yard, grow gardens not lawns.
Where are you moving to???

We have enough stuff to last us for a few weeks. I'm super interested in an aquaponic set up supplemented by growing our own fish.
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #44
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hey, cool!

we also rotate stock, but i need to get more freeze-dried food (mostly because son is now into hiking/camping, and i don't think he realizes that overnighters mean you have to carry in your own food, and spam cans get real old, real quick).

i used to like those freeze dried food packets, but now costco has them in buckets you can buy for prepping (i can never find them at the local stores). they even have veggie meals (i'm not vegetarian, but not averse to a good veggie lasagna or meal).

i try to keep at least one of our cars with a full tank in case we need it, so when the news says something is coming and the gas station lines get long, we don't need to worry about gas runs or store runs. harder part is storing gas in gas cans for the generator, cars, power tools, etc... since we don't use it fast enough, it sometimes gets all gooey. even that fuel stabilizer stuff doesn't seem to really do much (for the premix stuff, not so bad - i use my own tools for baseball field maintenance, so i go through the gas quickly enough). for the regular gas for pressure washers and generators, we hardly use it and i end up mixing it and running it through the power tools too just so i don't waste it.

anyone remember those old coleman pump-up lanterns that could run on almost anything? i can't find them anymore - ended up buying a couple of propane lanterns that use the same tanks as the stoves, then just bought a bunch of canisters from sam's club (was like six of them for the price of a two-pack from costco). we don't even wait for emergencies or power failures to use them - sometimes we just set up tables in the garage, cook on the stove with the lanterns and kick back in lawn chairs and watch a movie or play football in the yard. neighbors must think we're crazy....
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #45
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
Where are you moving to???

We have enough stuff to last us for a few weeks. I'm super interested in an aquaponic set up supplemented by growing our own fish.
We're moving only a few blocks. From Liliha to near Damien high school. (Kapalama) Our current landlord's family is selling the cluster (three houses), and we don't want to chance it being that we have TJ, we'd need to find a place that takes pet dogs. It's heart bending as we (landlord and us) are friends now, and he lives in one of the three houses so he will need to move if the cluster sells. On the market but not sold after 6 months. We have to leave.

Our church friends' mom passed away two years ago and her house was empty. Clean and newly painted. Almost twice the interior space of what we have now, much less yard, lots of paved area for keeping our vehicles clean (our tires were almost always muddy as there is only one concrete stall currently), and most importantly, they know and love our dog, so she's got more room to roam indoors now. We feel it's appropriate as our children grow into their teens (more indoor space) while we still look for a place, possibly Windward side. A cottage is nice for a small family but when they grow it gets tough. Having two bathrooms will be a blessing too.

I badly want an aquaponic system but Kay says no. She thinks I won't tend to the fish part, but if it feeds us I'd take good care of it! The orchid rack is elevated 3 feet or thereabouts, so it's entirely possible to make a pond underneath to have some fish and possibly create an aquaponics bed above it. Just gotta figure out how to circulate the water (i.e. pump it up to the grow bed).
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #46
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
hey, cool!

we also rotate stock, but i need to get more freeze-dried food (mostly because son is now into hiking/camping, and i don't think he realizes that overnighters mean you have to carry in your own food, and spam cans get real old, real quick).

i used to like those freeze dried food packets, but now costco has them in buckets you can buy for prepping (i can never find them at the local stores). they even have veggie meals (i'm not vegetarian, but not averse to a good veggie lasagna or meal).
Hey, let's go shopping, find out what's out there, and share here on HT. I haven't found any freeze-dried foods lately, but I recall seeing them somewhere....just can't remember.

Back around 2003 (right before I moved to Molokai), I recall our church getting a massive shipment of a donated Y2K "disaster pack" (five pallets, four feet high each!) of freeze-dried food products from Mountain House. Big, one gallon, "serves 10" sized cans (have to use the whole thing one shot). AFter Y2k didn't happen the person donated the whole lot to the church.

The donation was intended for homeless feeding and supplementing, but since our homeless ministry food bank was based around easy-to open, ready-to-eat foods (i.e. spam, chili, spaghetti in pull-top cans), and they were well-stocked, they took only a few pallets for mass feeding (reconstitute and serve), and we in Operations got a couple pallets. I pulled a bunch and took them to Molokai. Not that great, but it was fine. I remember having Western Omlettes (freeze dried egg cubes are weird but edible), and Oriental stir-fried beef and rice (my favorite, tasted like a JITB Rice bowl from way back.)

I will start hunting for FD foods...single-serving packs of course.

I bought my first CLIF bars yesterday for my EDC "snack" pack in my rolling EDC case. Will probably try it tomorrow in the office.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #47
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Hey, let's go shopping, find out what's out there, and share here on HT. I haven't found any freeze-dried foods lately, but I recall seeing them somewhere....just can't remember.

Back around 2003 (right before I moved to Molokai), I recall our church getting a massive shipment of a donated Y2K "disaster pack" (five pallets, four feet high each!) of freeze-dried food products from Mountain House. Big, one gallon, "serves 10" sized cans (have to use the whole thing one shot). AFter Y2k didn't happen the person donated the whole lot to the church.

I bought my first CLIF bars yesterday for my EDC "snack" pack in my rolling EDC case. Will probably try it tomorrow in the office.
oh, mountain house - that was the name of the freeze dried packets. they weren't bad. are they still around?

you'll like the clif bars - i probably eat one every other day for a snack in the morning, or before i leave work to pick up son to take him to baseball or karate (we don't come home until almost 9 some nights). he'll eat a clif bar or a kid's clif bar in the car on the way to wherever we need to get to.

if you go to costco or sam's clubs, you can get them in variety paks - i like the one with the white chocolate, chocolate chip, and crunchy peanut butter ones.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #48
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i think one of the biggest problems people run into is storage - on those prepper shows, they have garages, underground cellars, etc... dedicated to storage. in hawaii, most free space is storage space for overflow belongings, junk, or converted into living space. i think we probably would have to empty out a closet of old junks, old toys, etc... and use that shelving for storage if we really decided to get several months of f/d supplies and water socked away.
Unread 03-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #49
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
i think one of the biggest problems people run into is storage - on those prepper shows, they have garages, underground cellars, etc... dedicated to storage. in hawaii, most free space is storage space for overflow belongings, junk, or converted into living space. i think we probably would have to empty out a closet of old junks, old toys, etc... and use that shelving for storage if we really decided to get several months of f/d supplies and water socked away.
I dunno. We managed to have our food supply, and we have lived in a 550 sq. foot cottage. We just used space that we'd normally have junks and toys (under bed) for our food stash. The one thing we did leave in the "open" (actually to the side of our front door in our tiny living room) is our rice supply in mylar, in 5 gallon buckets (Looks like a stack of Lowe's silver buckets in a corner stacked up). My wife said I forgot to mention the packets of desiccant they put in before they seal the mylar bag (which is inside the 5 gal. bucket).

Our new house will have more room and they've already designated a closet for prep items. We have used those plastic modular shelving for toys and sports items and wife's sewing stuff, and will probably use now for preps (kids gave lots of toys away).

We're sticking to our one case/ person for bottled drinking water. We're looking at ways we can filter out rain water (again, 300 gallons if all barrels fill up) and other pre-disaster storage options (bladders, folding bottles, etc.) We have a vapur brand folding water bottle that's pretty cool, and we've had a coleman bag-type 5 gallon solar shower (for washing feet at the beach, etc.)...seeing if there are similar compact water carriers that can be prepared right before a crisis (storm, tsunami, etc.) That way we don't have too much stored water that won't circulate (i.e. rainwater used for watering but can be tapped into and filtered for consumption in case of emergency).
Unread 03-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #50
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info

Quote:
I dunno. We managed to have our food supply, and we have lived in a 550 sq. foot cottage. We just used space that we'd normally have junks and toys (under bed) for our food stash. The one thing we did leave in the "open" (actually to the side of our front door in our tiny living room) is our rice supply in mylar, in 5 gallon buckets (Looks like a stack of Lowe's silver buckets in a corner stacked up). My wife said I forgot to mention the packets of desiccant they put in before they seal the mylar bag (which is inside the 5 gal. bucket).

Our new house will have more room and they've already designated a closet for prep items. We have used those plastic modular shelving for toys and sports items and wife's sewing stuff, and will probably use now for preps (kids gave lots of toys away).

We're sticking to our one case/ person for bottled drinking water. We're looking at ways we can filter out rain water (again, 300 gallons if all barrels fill up) and other pre-disaster storage options (bladders, folding bottles, etc.) We have a vapur brand folding water bottle that's pretty cool, and we've had a coleman bag-type 5 gallon solar shower (for washing feet at the beach, etc.)...seeing if there are similar compact water carriers that can be prepared right before a crisis (storm, tsunami, etc.) That way we don't have too much stored water that won't circulate (i.e. rainwater used for watering but can be tapped into and filtered for consumption in case of emergency).
In other words, in case of disaster, head for Uncle Kyle's house!

We had to clear out some of the pantry and toss stuff last weekend from insects infestation.... it wasn't a huge thing, but it was gross nonetheless. I'm still getting used to living in a hot, humid place with lots of bugs. Things didn't seem to go bad as fast back in the cold north. We have a mini deep freezer chest that we use to store hubby's tako and fish, and other things we buy on sale, but I'm sure if a disaster strikes, it wouldn't help very much.

Is anyone interested in picking up a dehydrator and making their own dried items? I thought of doing this when hubby was bringing home a steady supply of tako.

Facebook Comments