Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 03-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #1
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info
Credits: 3,177.12
nlm is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap Eats Good Eats

What are your go-to places for cheap/good eats during the weekdays (or weekends) when no one wants to cook? Trying to find healthier options than just random plate lunch places without breaking the bank.
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,768.10
Act162this is on a distinguished road

dunno about healthy per se, but i like coffee talk in kaimuki at the top of the hill. for vietnamese food, there's a couple of good places in kaimuki, fast and reasonable.

if you're in the dillingham area, there's ha long noodle in the dillingham shopping plaza near sugoi's.

if you're around nimitz, there's a couple of places in the old 99 Ranch marketplace that are fairly popular. we usually go to mini garden or 99 BBQ.

around Manoa, there's a tiny place near starbucks across from the chevron that makes good pork chops and noodles.
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 56,129.75
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Seriously...the cheapest best eats in Kapolei has to be Dai Chi Ramen. Their portions are huge and for a family of four, you spend less than 30 bucks. They have like $10 specials with ramen and two great sides. It's absolutely delicious stuff, too. The Tan Tan ramen is yummy and slightly spicy. Goooood!
Unread 03-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

If you like Chinese food, particularly Oyster Sauce Chicken Cake Noodles, two places super cheap and good for the price;

Liu's Chop Suey in the Kam Shopping Center; $4.95

Yen Yen Chop Suey in Enchanted Lake Shopping Center; $5.95

Portions good, flavor is good for my taste buds (warning; I have very sensitive taste buds, some said that even bland food tastes good to me.)

Places are friendly and take out or eat in.

I don't eat out much, but that's all I think can offer....for now.
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
If you like Chinese food, particularly Oyster Sauce Chicken Cake Noodles, two places super cheap and good for the price;

Liu's Chop Suey in the Kam Shopping Center; $4.95
is this the one by longs/gamestop? they're not bad.

there's another one next to the chevron at the top of houghtailing, forgot what it's called but it's not bad.

if you're in Kalihi, there's Pongo's down by Puuhale Intermediate, about one block mauka.

there's always Alicia's Market in Kalihi, just down (makai) on the same street (Mokauea), about two or three blocks down. best hawaiian food, choke poke choices, and all kinds of meat. parking is a PITA. be prepared to park and walk, or double-park, but it's worth it for the roast pork or kalua pig.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
is this the one by longs/gamestop? they're not bad.

there's another one next to the chevron at the top of houghtailing, forgot what it's called but it's not bad.

if you're in Kalihi, there's Pongo's down by Puuhale Intermediate, about one block mauka.

there's always Alicia's Market in Kalihi, just down (makai) on the same street (Mokauea), about two or three blocks down. best hawaiian food, choke poke choices, and all kinds of meat. parking is a PITA. be prepared to park and walk, or double-park, but it's worth it for the roast pork or kalua pig.
The one up top by Houghtailing is Golden City. Went there for my bro's wedding rehearsal...10 years ago! They must be good if they're still there. Just like Tasty Chop Suey down the road...for years! They're good and cheap too...the best but strangest looking sweet sour spareribs I've seen (the sauce is white...like corn starch white. But good!)

And...yes to Alicia's market. You CAN eat good for five bucks there, I've proven that!

Pongo's is great, awesome food, huge portions...but last time I went I paid close to 8 bucks for my plate. My idea of cheap is a little less than that.
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
The one up top by Houghtailing is Golden City. Went there for my bro's wedding rehearsal...10 years ago! They must be good if they're still there. Just like Tasty Chop Suey down the road...for years! They're good and cheap too...the best but strangest looking sweet sour spareribs I've seen (the sauce is white...like corn starch white. But good!)

And...yes to Alicia's market. You CAN eat good for five bucks there, I've proven that!

Pongo's is great, awesome food, huge portions...but last time I went I paid close to 8 bucks for my plate. My idea of cheap is a little less than that.
Ah, Tasty Chop Suey... that's the place! not bad, we've gone there a couple of times.

Pongo's prices must have gone up since the last time i was there (probably also depends on what you get). i like the hamburger steak and the guava chicken (depends on the mood i'm in at the time, or how boring the meetings i'm sitting in are). sometimes it's safer trying to eat into a kanack attack so i don't actually say what's on my mind.
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:51 AM   #8
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info

Not really cheap eats, but I was super craving bbq tonight and hadn't really eaten all day. It was late and I just finished school so we went to Camellia. We had a coupon for the place. It was practically empty! Quality seems so-so, then again it's always been like that... Anyone have a Korean (or other kind) bbq place they'd recommend? I'd like to try something else out.
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
Not really cheap eats, but I was super craving bbq tonight and hadn't really eaten all day. It was late and I just finished school so we went to Camellia. We had a coupon for the place. It was practically empty! Quality seems so-so, then again it's always been like that... Anyone have a Korean (or other kind) bbq place they'd recommend? I'd like to try something else out.
if around mapunapuna, i like 99BBQ in the old 99 Ranch marketplace for the Meat Jun. If around Manoa, i like that korean place by the post office. If you're around Kaimuki, there's always Kim Chee II (i think) near Coffee Talk just up the hill from the park.

I think there's a place called Gina's in Market City kinda by the Foodland that used to be pretty good.
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

A pic from Dai Chi. All this cost us $22 bucks...not pictured is the gyoza. It was so goood!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daichi.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2771  
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Quote:
Camellia Buffet? The one with the grills? I love that place...haha. The one by Stadium Mall is better quality though less options.
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Camellia Buffet? The one with the grills? I love that place...haha. The one by Stadium Mall is better quality though less options.
Agreed with Stadium Mall Camellia.

We went on Christmas Day, took my mom to lunch (mom-in-law went home to Kauai for Xmas). We had no reservations, the place was crankin', yet they were so accommodating, saying there would be a 20 minute wait since no res, but they gave us water, and kept us seated even when families (with res) were walking right in.

They seated us with a lot of thanks and kindness. We were really impressed.

The spread was rapidly going down, so food kept coming in fresh and ready. The meats looked awesome and the counters were always clean and neat (not stuff all over the place, etc). I think that 's why, despite the crowds, the place was pretty darn clean! No one spilled or served themselves sloppy, so to speak. Veggies were fresh and not bus up.

The place feels a teeny bit greasy but I think everyone expects that with so many burners going on...it's yakiniku, not coat and tie dining. I was just impressed how they could do such an awesome job with so few people.

We had a great time. My kids ate til they couldn't move. I was satisfied. We tipped them well and left a note saying they were very appreciated on a holiday. I hope they had a great Christmas (tips).
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info

Quote:
Agreed with Stadium Mall Camellia.
Yeah we went to the one at McCully. The service was fine, but the place is looking a little run down I think. We couldn't tell if the person (owner?) at the counter was male or female though....

Mike, when we're out that way, we'll have to try Dai Chi. It's like your version of Lois' fav restaurant Willows.
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

ooh, willows was always a favorite. all kinds of curries and good hawaiian music. my friend and i used to go down there just to see our friend's band play back in the day.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Is Willows the one in Honolulu? Or is that a Windward side one? I think I know of one that has a buffet...
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

willows is the one in town, iirc. it's the one with good curries and hawaiian buffet (and hawaiian music)... we used to be there almost every Thur after work.
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Ah, yeah, good food. Huge freaking place!
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #18
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

aw man, now i'm hungry....
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #19
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Yen Yen update; Oyster Sauce Chicken Cake Noodle; $5.65!

(I'm trying for cheap as well as good.)
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Hmm...I want some good Sushi...
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Hmm...I want some good Sushi...

This is down the street from our old home, on Liliha Street. Used to be "Mama's BBQ".

We never had the chance to try Mama's, we heard it was really good, but Yelp-ers said otherwise. So we missed out.

Our friend said this place was awesome. A tad pricey ($17.00 for two) but she said it was great and they had leftovers for later. New places tend to be generous and "on the game" when they start up. I'm really curious!

As soon as we're settled in I think we will try it. We can't walk there anymore, but we're still endeared to that little "town" (Liliha) and will continue to frequent it (and the bakery of course. ). Will report when we do.
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #22
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

cheeeehuuu!!!

cafe lauffer meatloaf lunch special (not cheap, but really good).
Unread 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Ono Sushi and BBQ

We decided to do a food run, and Ono Sushi and BBQ topped off McD's tonight.

Ono Sushi used to be next to the original L&L drive in on Liliha Street. After the Mama's BBQ closed up, they moved over to their new location a couple months ago. They said this location has a better kitchen, better foot traffic, and a small parking lot, what their old location did not have.

We had the basic burger, 1/2 pound. YES. 1/2 a pound of cow. Very simply, burger, veggies (onion, lettuce), and mayo on bun.

But our burgers were awesome. Cooked medium well (little pink but mostly cooked through). VERY fresh and juicy, not fatty and greasy. I tried to only eat 1/2 of my burger, but I felt so great I pounded the whole thing down.

French fries (sold separately) were fresh cooked, also not as greasy as the fast-food place.

The ONE thing; it took us 15 minutes to wait for our burgers (5 for the family). There's a flat screen TV with Korean reality show playing to keep us occupied, plus my wife struck up conversation with the owners (possibly husband and wife team). Plus there are three "machines" in one side of the room, not sure what they are for but they have blackjack, poker, and keno.

We took the food home, and me and the kids chowed down everything. My wife and mother in law ate half of theirs. The nice part is that it isn't greasy and "heavy", we feel pretty good for having eaten 1/2 a pound of cow each.

Price point; burgers were $5.99 each, French fries were a dollar half extra. so about $7.50 for our food, which is actually cheaper than a Big Mac Extra Value Meal. Wife bought three bubble tea drinks (I hate those) and even some fresh papayas in a display at the storefront. Total damage tonight; $45.00 for five, with breakfast tomorrow. We would have spent the same at McD's with the original orders from the kids (1/4 pounders, Big Macs).

Best part; right now I don't feel like I ate 1/2 a pound of ground meat; that draggy, dumpy feeling after massive fat attack. The burger was huge but it was not greasy.
Unread 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
turbolence75
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Credits: 2,565.14
turbolence75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So far I like 678 across the street from the convention center. Prices are reasonable and they give you a lot of banchan (last time I went it was unlimited).

Rotary Empire of Oahu Prefecture
#1 Legend of Extremely Fast Competition for Touge and Wangan Racing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 05-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #25
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info

Yanagi Sushi and Doraku's happy hour super late night specials are awesome. Food for $5-6 or less depending on what you order. It's so hard to find good food late at night/early morning.

Facebook Comments