Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council (OMAC)

Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council (OMAC) The official discussion forum for the Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council

Unread 04-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 56,201.62
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road
Default Looks like Sen. Hanabusa is a very conflicted person...

Interesting...Senator Hanabuse KILLED our tax credit...yet she apparently supports tax credits:

http://starbulletin.com/2002/09/15/e...l/special.html

Quote:
Proponents disagree on the purpose of tax credits. Some say they should be used only to encourage new industry, as was the case of the high-tech industry tax credit. I disagree. Tax credits should be used to stimulate the economy, whether or not the industry exists.

For too long, we have said Kapolei is the second city and Ko Olina is Oahu's second resort destination. Neither the state nor the city has yet taken action to ensure that Kapolei does not become just another suburb or Ko Olina another Kuilima, which never became the North Shore's economic engine.

Tax credits, such as those proposed for Ko Olina specifically to construct a world-class aquarium and a marine science and mammal research facility, help the state's economic engine, which is in dire need of overhaul. If government can use tax credits to attract new industry, it can use them to enhance proven ones, too.

Let's stay committed to our plans and dreams. Kapolei is the second city and Ko Olina is the second resort destination. It is time to invest in the Leeward Coast and to open the door of economic opportunity to its residents and the rest of the state.
And then...there's this article...sounds like she's used to conflicts of interest:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

Quote:
Senator sees no conflict in many ties to Ko Olina

State Sen. Colleen Hanabusa, backer of the controversial $75 million tax-credit program benefiting Ko Olina resort developer Jeffrey Stone, lives in a luxury Ko Olina townhouse purchased by her fiancÚ from Stone, and works in a downtown law office subleased from Stone, according to real estate and business records.
Unread 04-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Kamakura kid
Big Surf

Additional Info
Credits: 2,020.45
Kamakura kid is on a distinguished road

Yup, definitely not one of my favorite legislators. Even with my minimal involvement and interest in local politics, I know about Sen Hanabusa in a very negative context.

If the SORT folks have indeed aligned themselves with her, they have won a Phyrric victory. I have friends that live in Ko Olina, they say they can really hear the racetrack at night. If she lives out there, I cannot imagine Sen Hanabusa wanting that to continue, might decrease her property value and stuff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 04-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
grampa
Gremlin

Additional Info
Credits: 1,359.00
grampa is on a distinguished road

its still apparent to me that people don't understand that the tax credit and money do not go to Mike Oakland, The money goes into the ground to build the facility , the tax credit goes to the Investors , The investores own the facility (not mike Oakland) They, then set the rules and operations of the facility. This all goes back to the basic saying that "He who has the gold, Makes the rules". all this crap about Mike Oakland, etc. is just that, I'm the point man to get it done, once the money guys put it up, G'pa takes a back seat and tries to go racing again . Remember, thats All I really wanted to do, anyway... Getterdone G'pa
Unread 04-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
fibonacci
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Hawaii
Credits: 1,521.85
fibonacci is on a distinguished road

Her boyfriend is John F. Souza III, maybe friend or family of a dirt track racer (not that that's bad, aren't we supposed to be on the same side?)
Unread 08-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I don't intend to delve into the personal backgrounds of people...but my stance is that Colleen fought against and killed tax incentive financing that could have helped bring us a racetrack. If no racetrack appears from any party, I hold her partially to blame...but that's just my personal opinion.

That article that she wrote herself, says alot about the situation. Election time is coming up soon, and I'm sure it will be reflected.

Last edited by ArchangelX; 08-30-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
fibonacci
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Hawaii
Credits: 1,521.85
fibonacci is on a distinguished road
Default Hanabusa Killed The Track, And We Vote

I remember Hanabusa was instrumental in killing the tax credit for the race track. At that time, I said to myself, I will remember her name. Word should be spread that this happened, and racers/car lovers are not happy, and politically we are force to be listened to! Go out and vote for Djou, send her home to wash her dog again.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

It's amazing how a lot of things change...and how I view things with a new light after learning some things about projects I once supported. Hanabusa was only one part to the death of that tax incentive bill...there was a helluva lot more than that going on behind the scenes.

Bumping super old threads like this one reminds me of how much one can learn in a very short period of time and how little most people know about the entire thing and why it ended up the way it did. It's in the past now...a bunch of missed opportunities and stupid mistakes on all sides.

I hate politics even more now than I did then, by the way. No matter who you side with, it's a nasty business that very few people have even one clue about how it all really works.

Last edited by ArchangelX; 10-22-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,770.20
Act162this is on a distinguished road

check out the cast of characters in this article:

Fireworks, dirt, and stolen trucks: Colleen Hanabusa and the Honolulu Raceway Deal > Hawaii Free Press > Articles Main

all the players are named - on both sides, including all the "dirt", so to speak.

now, Hawaii Free Press is not exactly known for journalistic accuracy or integrity, but the Honolulu Advertiser has some corroborating evidence, at least for some of the alleged ties to organized crime and shady land deals:

Sheriff admits dealings with two felons look 'bad' | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

again, the advertiser is not politically neutral, and often gives only half the story, or has been known to take things out of context to suit their political leanings, but the congruence of evidence is probably a little more than coinkydink.

things that make you go: hmmmmmm....
Unread 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

**** that Hawaii Free Press crap. I've read that article a bunch of times, and it's the biggest load of "investigative reporting" I've ever seen. They basically take other articles from other new stories and use that to form the crux of their article or rather "case" against the people involved. In fact, a large amount of it is the same BS one of the current anti-track opponents has said over and over, line for line. It's almost like the article was pre-written by the current track detractors.

I've talked to George Grace extensively over this article and some of the other claims made about him that were told to me during my time supporting the very tax incentive in this thread. In truth, back in 2006, I was afraid of George because I had heard all types of nasty stuff about him.

Since I've really gotten to know him, this guy has nothing but good will for others. He helps when he can help, he gives without asking, and he really has put alot of effort into the racetrack thing with thus far, not taking a cent or penny back. And he explained the whole story behind that article and from his explanation as well as his the considerable bias in that article, I simply have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It certainly cleared up alot of the things in the article that were simply glossed over or not covered, and filled in a lot of holes that you don't even know where there.

I won't deny that Hanabusa has supported them in getting their new track, but it's no different from any other project that moves forward in Hawaii. You have to have political support from someone, or things just don't happen. That's politics here.

The sooner that Hawaii Free Press rag goes into the trash, the better, as far as I'm concerned. It's like the National Enquirer of blogs.
Unread 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,770.20
Act162this is on a distinguished road

and that's exactly the problem - those that are NOT in the know take this kind of journalistic sensationalism as "truth" (kinda like believing everything you read in those political flyers or ads).

and if they don't know of the sketchy reputations of some of these tabloids posing as newspapers, it'll be an even bigger problem trying to overcome these negative perceptions.

they read, they believe, they don't take the time to research.
Unread 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Yeah...sorry about the reaction...just upsets me with all the hard work behind the scenes. I used to think that George was totally opposite of the person I know now. I was so wrong to believe the crap...

Facebook Comments