Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Hawaii RECON Information Section

Hawaii RECON Information Section Questions and Answers regarding Hawaii's RECON laws

Unread 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Keo
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,598.40
Keo is on a distinguished road
Default understanding the rules?

I need help understanding the things. I went to recon and was told I can't pass because I don't have the required 2 inches of suspension travel. How was this test performed? The only thing I saw and was told is that by pushing down on the corner it doesn't move enough but I don't understand how pushing with 20-30 pounds of force is enough to check suspension TRAVEL. I understand that it will test the spring RATE to a certain extent but most definitely not the travel. I understand the need for rules and such but to say a car won't pass due to an incorrect test is absurd. I waited 2 months to go in and am now suppose to wait another 2 months for him to push on it again? I have bone stock street coilovers on there and they ride just as good as my stock suspension did...dunno how that would be possible without more than 2 inches of travel. Shouldn't more appropriate tests be put in place like jacking up 1 tire to measure actual travel or even setting up some staggered wood blocks to check ACTUAL wheel travel instead of this test method we have now.
I know someone will have a reason for the way this test is done but absolute FACT is that I have enough travel and I wasn't passed. I have friends that pass and I wouldn't ride in their cars cause they're ride is too stiff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
bluehawaii2003HD
Big Kahuna

Additional Info
Oahu Someplace
Credits: 1,962.45
bluehawaii2003HD is on a distinguished road

too bad Lois isn't here she would be able to tell you. But, what it comes down too is that it's up to the inspector.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info
Credits: 1,700.05
Outsider is on a distinguished road

Yeah this has come up for discussion before. Just gotta get lucky with the right inspector, on the right day. I'd like to see them put the same amount of force on a jacked-up 4-wheeler and see if they can get 2-inches of travel. Guaranteed they won't. I tried pushing down on my STOCK Grand Vitara with most of my body-weight, and I can't get 2-inches of travel...

unscientific for sure...
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Keo
Sand Facial

Additional Info

messed up thing was that he DID a jacked up 4X4 right before me.......
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 61,965.18
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I think Recon is absolutely stupid. Like their elbows are calibrated.
Unread 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Keo
Sand Facial

Additional Info

ahhhhh, to hell with um. My car is stock except for the 2 inch drop. No blingy rims or tire tuckage or nothin and most don't even know its dropped since it's 2 inches on a suv but I TRIED to play by the rules.
wonder why they don't take a quick spin with the driver to find out how a car REALLY rides/drives. That would prolly hurt more people than help though, scratch that idea hahahaha!
Unread 09-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
y-me
Sand Facial

Additional Info
Credits: 1,520.00
y-me is on a distinguished road

Recon is just another way for the state to tax the people. Why is it that only Oahu has recon and not the other islands. Its a total rip on the people. Like you said they cant even put together a legit test for things like suspension. Why is that? They charge you just to look at your car then tell you your car doesn't pass and you have to come back when you get it right???WTF is that? Anyway...good luck on your car.
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keo View Post
...wonder why they don't take a quick spin with the driver to find out how a car REALLY rides/drives.
Actually that's not a bad idea. If it's a "fixed" course, within the recon lot...say maybe certain-height speedbumps, couple potholes, some little white bumps they use to separate lanes...just to give a consistent test to pass. It's still not scientific, but creates a consistent real-world scenario of what's out there. If the inspector can "feel" the bounce while in the car, it's more realistic than pushing down on the bumper, that's for sure.
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
HI-5o
Local PoPo

Sorry not to go off topic, but this caught my eye

Quote:
...I have bone stock street coilovers on there and they ride just as good as my stock suspension did...
Stock is stock... IE direct from the factory... heh heh heh so if your "stock street coilovers" are "stock", you do not need recon, because you never "modified" your car... LOL

Seriously I had to go off your rant topic....
Unread 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

HEY, nice to see you! Been awhile...haha.
Unread 11-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
REH
Big Surf

Additional Info
Kapolei, Hawaii
Credits: 2,050.18
REH is on a distinguished road

Yeah I agree. Recon is not fair to all because of the lack of experience and engineering knowledge. Grantit, it can be very complex if you broken everything down for safety. My recommendation is; if you purchased after market manufactured parts made for your vehicle, it should pass recon unless labeled "not for highway use" or "for racing purposes only". This way if anything happened, the manufacture will hold some liability as well. Also, I think the speed shops (the experts installing the parts) should do recon just like ASE certified repair shop do safety checks.
Unread 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
HI-5o
Local PoPo

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
... My recommendation is; if you purchased after market manufactured parts made for your vehicle, it should pass recon unless labeled "not for highway use" or "for racing purposes only"...
The flip side to this is that the majority of all aftermarket parts are labeled this way, to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH View Post
...Also, I think the speed shops (the experts installing the parts) should do recon just like ASE certified repair shop do safety checks.
This would be nice, but then you would need to have certification tests and inspection of the recon stations. The law does allow for a "private" recon station, well actually it does not prohibit it, but is seems that no one wants to either take the responsibility/liability or that the C&C doesn't have the administrative means to monitor a privately run recon station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
HEY, nice to see you! Been awhile...haha.
Yeah, been addicted to FB like crack....
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Keo
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-5o View Post
Stock is stock... IE direct from the factory... heh heh heh so if your "stock street coilovers" are "stock", you do not need recon, because you never "modified" your car... LOL
SERIOUSLY???????
lol, I didn't say OEM coilovers
hahaha, i had almost the same conversation with the guy doing the inspection! He told me too stiff so I told him I will put the stock springs back on cause they are just as stiff and he came back with a smirk and told me that I wouldn't need recon then at that point
I'm done with it already though, I quit working in Waiks so I'm not so paranoid anymore. In fact I just got a ticket 2 days ago and never got asked for recon LOL
fml
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #14
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

FB...yepz, me, too. I think it's put a dent in alot of social forums like HT. The big ones still do okay, but small ones like ours have been hurt by it. Heh. Still, you can carry on complete conversations here and go back several days later and continue if you want. Can't do that on FB.
Unread 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
Drifting_In_My_Dreams
Gremlin

Additional Info

Quote:
messed up thing was that he DID a jacked up 4X4 right before me.......
So what the heck did the guy do, hang on the frame like a monkey and try to yank it down? :-\
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Keo
Sand Facial

Additional Info

Nope, just leaned on it a little and did the paperwork shook hands and done.
That truck didn't move an inch but apparently they knew each other soooo....ya.
I've witnessed the politics of recon and other government stuff first hand and even have a friend of mine who had the recon guy(his friend of course) come to his house to do the "inspection"....i get it, It's Hawaii, that's how it's always worked. I just don't get how a car that is clearly safe, just dropped and inch half with coilovers can't pass because his Spam being overcooked that mornin or whatever it may be. LOL
anyway, I'm just beatin a dead horse now
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #17
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Yepz...welcome to Hawaii. It's one of the few things that leave a bad taste in my mouth here. I will say that most of the inspectors I know are nice, fair people...it's just the way the program is run that tickes me off the most.
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Outsider
LET ME IN!!!

Additional Info

I miss the old man that used to be there. Was it Ogawa? Something like that. Way back before the "appointment" days. Get in line, move up when it's open, walks around the car checks the stuff you wrote down, goes back in comes back out with papers and stickers...he sticks it on, done. Back then it was more engine mods, lifted vehicles, oversized tires (making sure they're not sticking out). Don't recall seeing much of anything else.

Facebook Comments