Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion > Cycle Discussion

Cycle Discussion Enthusiast discussion for motorcyles, sport bikes, mini-cycles, mopeds, the works!

Unread 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info
Credits: 2,867.00
spike is on a distinguished road
Default Picked up my first bike

Picked up a 00' Ducati Monster 750 Dark. I never thought my first bike would be a ducati, but i found that insurance was about a quarter of the price than that of a super sport that I was looking at.

I am aware of the expensive parts and maintenance. I will be doing most of the maintenance myself. As far as parts goes, I bought south seas 3 year warranty so if anything craps out, i'm covered for that one.

Anyway, i've rode it for about 20 miles or so today and i love it. Easy to handle, just the right amount of power. Any experienced riders what to give me a few tips?

Also, really stupid question, but when filling the gas tank, how do i know when to stop? when i look into the tank, i can't actually see the gas level and i've read that its bad to fill it up to the neck.
Unread 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
zff
F1 Fan

Additional Info
Credits: 4,734.95
zff is on a distinguished road

DAMN! That's one hell of a first bike!
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

lol cosmetically, its in a pretty sub par condition. its been dropped before, minor scratches and dents.

its in great mechanical condition though. just needs an oil change.
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,125.70
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

Nice! I was just looking at 03 Monster 750 too... Have fun with it man!

I usually just eyeballed the level when I put gas in. I never filled it up to the neck. I usually just watched the display too to see approximately how much I was putting in. Just know what the capacity of your tank is and eyeball it every so often. You'll figure out what method works best for you eventually.

Have fun with your Duc
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,770.85
Act162this is on a distinguished road

ahhh...

il Mostro!

nice... congrats!
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

nice, my friend had a 750 monster, it was a torque monster for sure. top end wasn't that good, but it wasn't made to be a high rpm screamer.

easiest way to fill up is sit on it so its upright, and just fill till the gas level is almost to the top.

i know you took the MSF course, so thats good, but the biggest thing to do is watch out for other drivers. never stay in their blind spot, always be moving faster or slower than they are.
Unread 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Kreggae
Gun

Additional Info
East Honolulu
Credits: 2,333.55
Kreggae is on a distinguished road

Hooray for naked sportbikes!

Remember to always look farther down the road, just like they taught you in MSF. All the care in the world, however, won't save you from the complete idiots out there who swerve into you without checking their blind spots. Get comfortable covering the front brake lever as well as the clutch. Practice countersteering, obstacle avoidance and emergency braking whenever it is feasible and safe to do so. And whatever you do, ALWAYS wear your gear, even if it's hot out. Especially the helmet. Mesh jackets are cooler than leather, but won't hold up if you crash at high speeds. Did I say wear your helmet? Mine saved my life.

I'd also recommend you choose your riding partners carefully. Since you're new, be careful about testing your max cornering abilities on the street, even though everyone else is bragging about "bangin' turns". Always resist the impulse to show off; what seems safe to you on your Duc looks really dangerous to the non-riding general public, and we don't need to be making more enemies out there than we already have. As your seat time and (good) decision-making ability increases, you will enjoy the ride more as everything becomes second-nature to you, and you'll find yourself moving faster and more confidently through traffic. Then you can start working on those chicken-strips...

Have a great time with your new girlfriend!

Unread 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStang808 View Post
Nice! I was just looking at 03 Monster 750 too... Have fun with it man!

I usually just eyeballed the level when I put gas in. I never filled it up to the neck. I usually just watched the display too to see approximately how much I was putting in. Just know what the capacity of your tank is and eyeball it every so often. You'll figure out what method works best for you eventually.

Have fun with your Duc
Thanks! So it turns out that I just had a major brain fart when I was looking into the tank on the first day. I had to fill up today and suddenly, everything made sense haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
ahhh...

il Mostro!

nice... congrats!
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytomo View Post
nice, my friend had a 750 monster, it was a torque monster for sure. top end wasn't that good, but it wasn't made to be a high rpm screamer.

easiest way to fill up is sit on it so its upright, and just fill till the gas level is almost to the top.

i know you took the MSF course, so thats good, but the biggest thing to do is watch out for other drivers. never stay in their blind spot, always be moving faster or slower than they are.
Thanks cory, will make sure that I am not in other's blinds spots for sure! I've found its most difficult when riding in the center lane, got two sides to watch out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreggae View Post
Hooray for naked sportbikes!

Remember to always look farther down the road, just like they taught you in MSF. All the care in the world, however, won't save you from the complete idiots out there who swerve into you without checking their blind spots. Get comfortable covering the front brake lever as well as the clutch. Practice countersteering, obstacle avoidance and emergency braking whenever it is feasible and safe to do so. And whatever you do, ALWAYS wear your gear, even if it's hot out. Especially the helmet. Mesh jackets are cooler than leather, but won't hold up if you crash at high speeds. Did I say wear your helmet? Mine saved my life.

I'd also recommend you choose your riding partners carefully. Since you're new, be careful about testing your max cornering abilities on the street, even though everyone else is bragging about "bangin' turns". Always resist the impulse to show off; what seems safe to you on your Duc looks really dangerous to the non-riding general public, and we don't need to be making more enemies out there than we already have. As your seat time and (good) decision-making ability increases, you will enjoy the ride more as everything becomes second-nature to you, and you'll find yourself moving faster and more confidently through traffic. Then you can start working on those chicken-strips...

Have a great time with your new girlfriend!
Hey thanks for the great pointers! In the MSF course, they specifically told us not to cover the brakes for some reason. I've been covering my clutch though. Fortunately, my riding friends have a lot of common sense and they always say to ride at the speed that I'm comfortable at.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 56,228.81
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Congrats! Be careful mang!
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #10
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreggae View Post
Especially the helmet. Mesh jackets are cooler than leather, but won't hold up if you crash at high speeds. Did I say wear your helmet? Mine saved my life.
+1 more for the helmet. used to work at a neuropsych lab, with brain-damaged people. one of them was a former doctor who got into an accident w/o a helmet. he went from something like a 170+ IQ to unable to say the alphabet past "E" w/o help.

i heard one of the msf instructors that used to race used to show his old helmet at the classes he taught - he crashed out at the track and smashed up the helmet real good, but walked away because of the helmet (and probably his other gear as well). iirc, the way he told the story, he hit the tarmac so hard w/ his helmet it dented the tarmac.

back protectors might not be too comfy, but you might want to consider a jacket w/ some sort of back protection built in if you don't already have one.
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Congrats! Be careful mang!
thanks, will do!

Quote:
+1 more for the helmet. used to work at a neuropsych lab, with brain-damaged people. one of them was a former doctor who got into an accident w/o a helmet. he went from something like a 170+ IQ to unable to say the alphabet past "E" w/o help.

i heard one of the msf instructors that used to race used to show his old helmet at the classes he taught - he crashed out at the track and smashed up the helmet real good, but walked away because of the helmet (and probably his other gear as well). iirc, the way he told the story, he hit the tarmac so hard w/ his helmet it dented the tarmac.

back protectors might not be too comfy, but you might want to consider a jacket w/ some sort of back protection built in if you don't already have one.
i always wear a helmet, it doesn't even feel right sitting on the bike without one. i still need to invest in a jacket when the money comes for it. for now, i'm staying off of freeways.

here's another question that came to mind. what types things should i keep in the small amount of storage i have under the seat? so far, i have zip ties, allen wrench, 2 box end wrenches, a screw driver and a few bandaids.
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

might not hurt to have a leatherman or some other multi tool and a small led flashlight or other tactical light in case you need extra light.
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

i carry a keychain leatherman and an LED flashlight on me at all times haha.
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I need to get one of those, but I hate holding alotta crap on my keychain. It's bulky enough.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
I need to get one of those, but I hate holding alotta crap on my keychain. It's bulky enough.
yeah it does add a bit of bulk but its not too bad. i'm really glad that i have it, its gotten me out of a few jams already. pulling splinters, cutting rope, opening a beer bottle (when i'm not feeling creative), undoing screws, tightening screws, opening plastic packaging, cutting zip ties.....don't know what i would've done without it.
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I always carry a leatherman in my ride. Heheh...bad habit from the military weapons days!
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

haha, i have a full sized leatherman in my car as well.
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

leatherman and LED tactical lights in our vehicles. quite useful.

wife and i also keep the mini-leatherman on our keychains, but the only problem is going into federal or court buildings. can't bring 'em in, so if you forget to remove them, you have to make a trip back to the car.
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Will they let you bring a flashlight?
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

generally, yes - i bring my mini tactical light (li-ion batteries, about the size of a shotgun shell) in all the time.

i've seen larger tac lights also in there, with the scalloped edges around the lens.

on a couple of the smaller tactical lights that we take with us on nighttime hikes, excursions, etc... i've sharpened the scalloped edges and repainted them black (cookie cutter action, if we need to use it defensively).

the checkered grip is also handy for raking across skin for that nice cheese grater action.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info

Quote:
generally, yes - i bring my mini tactical light (li-ion batteries, about the size of a shotgun shell) in all the time.

i've seen larger tac lights also in there, with the scalloped edges around the lens.

on a couple of the smaller tactical lights that we take with us on nighttime hikes, excursions, etc... i've sharpened the scalloped edges and repainted them black (cookie cutter action, if we need to use it defensively).

the checkered grip is also handy for raking across skin for that nice cheese grater action.
Very nice... guess what I'm buying myself next week and putting in my purse.

Hrmm... I think I want to get me a set of brass knuckles too. Where would I be able to find some of those here.

Oh, Spike, here's a tip - steel-toe boots. Sometimes you just never know when you gotta reach out and let a car know that you're "there".
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Very nice... guess what I'm buying myself next week and putting in my purse.
The costco/sam's club ones that come in two or three packs (they're all the same, just relabelled) are really good for that - i think i got a pair for like $19 or something like that. filed down the scalloped edges and repainted them black to match the rest of the flashlight, and good to go.

they're also really bright, and have a strobe function that is also useful for disorienting an assailant at night (it's REALLY annoying, at the very least).

Quote:
Hrmm... I think I want to get me a set of brass knuckles too. Where would I be able to find some of those here.
might want to double-check on that - they might be illegal in HI. pepper spray might be preferable, if they're close enough for you to punch, they're too close.

Quote:
Oh, Spike, here's a tip - steel-toe boots. Sometimes you just never know when you gotta reach out and let a car know that you're "there".
ayup.

ball peen hammer tucked into the fairings, and a handful of nuts/bolts (big kine) to toss over your shoulder at cars that think it's fun to tailgate on the freeway for a little extra "insurance".

yeah, my wife wonders where people like me come from.
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #23
spike
Mark of Shame

Additional Info

I like that flash light idea, would never have thought to weaponize a flashlight like that.

Quote:

My motorcycle gloves would be pretty effective as brass knuckles. the knuckle guards have a pretty sharp rib to reduce sliding friction.
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:48 AM   #24
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info

Yeah, one set of riding gloves that I had, had the carbon fiber knuckles. Although my race boots had the nice plastics, I loved the amount of ooomph my steel-toe Doc Martens had.

Act is right, I'd also carry a pocketful of pennies or ball bearings to hurl at those drivers that wanted to act stupid to me while I was riding. I also carried a knife with me too but then again I'm a rugged girl like that.
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

oh yeah - the BFK - i'd go with a fixed blade over a folder, b/c you don't want to be fiddling around trying to open it with gloves on while riding.

preferably a cold steel/tanto-type knife with a full tang, they're very sharp and quite tough for all kinds of uses.

Facebook Comments