Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Drifting

Drifting General Drifting Discussion

Unread 09-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Ronin

Default Stadium Event

So who else from here is going to attend the event?

Who's drifting?

Who's going to spectate?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
spike109u
The Internet Addict

Additional Info
Hillsborough, NJ
Send a message via AIM to spike109u
Credits: 1,424.60
spike109u is on a distinguished road

Are the videos going to be posted somewhere? Because it's not exactly convenient for me to come.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 52,461.00
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I don't do videos of that event.
Unread 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Ronin

yeah yeah I know...I heard all about it. Figured it was worth asking
Unread 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

There should be some good videos of it...there was ALOT of footage shot at the last big event. Haven't seen it though...
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
spike109u
The Internet Addict

Additional Info
Hillsborough, NJ
Send a message via AIM to spike109u
Credits: 1,424.60
spike109u is on a distinguished road

I'll have to keep an eye out for them then.
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,377.80
kombi731 has disabled reputation

is it this sunday?
Unread 09-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Ronin

saturday.
Unread 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Ronin

Well, I had tons of fun. It was a very hot day and I got kind of irritated at the fact that some of the drivers there were cutting in line all morning before they finally put a stop to it.

All in all it was a good event. I'm just glad we had place to play at for a little while. Now its back to waiting for a more permanent facility.
Unread 10-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Any place is better than nothing. DS chose not to go to the Stadium for specific reasons, but that doesn't mean we don't want you guys to drift.

We're working hard at it...
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Ronin

I can see why you guys didn't opt to use the stadium. One of the guys smashed into the fence this saturday and I think they're trying to stick him with the bill. The stadium security people came over and made a report. Very strick environment over there. Compared to the laid back attitude of the DS guys, i can see why they didn't try too hard to get the stadium.
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

We looked hard at getting the stadium, almost a year before anyone else did. Right when the track closed, we were looking at it. There were alot of reasons why we chose not to pursue it...I think these are the reasons, in my head, on why we didn't go with the stadium.

1. The SCCA crew hadn't received confirmation that they were going to be able to do their events full time and permanently. We didn't want to jeopardize their attempts to find SCCA a perm home, by jumping on the bandwagon and saying "what about us!". We were afraid that due to the negative connotations drifting has in the local community, that we would end up causing SCCA to get a bad wrap as well as ourselves. We were going to wait till they got confirmation before jumping in and asking if we could hold events there as well.

2. Probably, the most important is the cost. I figure, that at the very least, we'd have to charge 65 dollars or more to come out ahead due to the increased costs of running an event at the stadium. The insurance would be higher (because we're not sharing insurance like we did at the track), the costs of setup and teardown, the costs of bleachers, the costs of the barricades, and the requirements of the stadium would drive the price up, and reduce the ability to come out ahead.

The real kicker of the cost deal, is the fact that a driver would end up paying 65 bucks, and only get in under, from what we figured, most likely 10 runs of only a few seconds each due to the layout. That's ridiculous. Continuous lapping wouldn't have been allowed most likely. I considered that as a strong point in not going with the stadium. The numbers just wouldn't add up, and the drivers would suffer as a result. The DS image would be severly tarnished. And there would be a possibility of going into the hole...like it or not, DS is a business, and in order to have events, you have to make money at the previous event. DS has been around for a long time...they've got their heads on right. They've never lost money at an event, while always providing ample time and fun for the drivers.

3. Although mentioned earlier, it's really the limitations that drifting in a small parking lot do...no third gear drifts, no continuous lapping, and alot of safety requirements. Driftin in Hawaii is now a former shadow of itself...and doing straight competitions does nothing to encourage the increase of skills or keeping people off the street. In truth, the amount of drifting available at this time, is completly laughable...you're not getting the time in necessary to keep your skill level up. And I personally think DS was more about having a good time while drifting...rather than seeing who's the best.

DS has always been about educating the drivers, grassroots motorsports, and providing enough time to for our guys to become the best that they can be. Drifting at the stadium really wouldn't provide that. I think for us, it's less about bringing big names in just to show off, and more about bringing in drivers for close, one on one time so that our drivers can improve their skills during practice.

I'm not saying this to bolster our name, as I've only been here for two or three years of DS, but I can see what DS has done for drifting in Hawaii. For the past 7 years, DS has cultivated drifting, and made the drivers kicking ass at these comp events what they are. I think that's what Tom and Dave want to continue to do...which is provide the building blocks for better drivers.

I've heard some people say DS is the "former" whatever...DS hasn't gone anywhere...and we're not competing with anyone. It's not about winning or losing for us. We've actively chosen to wait until we can find an appropriate place to continue drifting the way we think it should be done.

I think most drivers can respect that...and we haven't forgotten about you guys. How could we?

Last edited by ArchangelX; 10-03-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Unread 10-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #13
Ronin

Oh shit, I completely forgot about this.

I understand and foresaw the reasons why DS didn't go through with the stadium. Actually, I've heard about it from you or some other friends and am all for waiting for them to find us a permanent spot.

I don't agree with the way Punishem is running their show but at the same time, I can't come down on them and hate since they've provided us with a temporary place to play. They've faced the loss and struggle that in the eyes of others were not worth dealing with and as a result I won't lower myself to the level that some of the other guys are on and talk smack. I mean in one hand, you have Tracy who in my eyes seems to have no real experience dealing with organized events and in the other you have his helpers who have had experience as drivers or helpers in organized events but haven't really organized any events themselves. Yet, they tried to the full extent of what they were capable of to give us the opportunity to play at the stadium for a little while. Even if it was probably one of the worst organized events I've probably attended...

Now that the punishum thing is over, at least for me, all I have to do it wait. Since we don't have access to barbers anymore (probably the best thing that ever happened to us since the track), we really don't have any other choice other than to wait.

Now some of you may be more knowledgeable on this topic than I am but from my point of view, which is based on what I know and witnessed, this is what I think on the matter. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I tried to be as objective as I possible when I wrote this thing out. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of influential people on this board seeing how the majority of you guys have a hand in every major motor sport event on this island.

Last edited by Ronin; 10-09-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Unread 10-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 8,086.45
Udrivecrap has disabled reputation

i like this thread better than the rest of the drifting threads on those "other" sites

mean da dope!
Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time
Unread 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Ronin...I'm right there with you. You can't offend someone for just presenting it like it is.

I cannot fault anyone for throwing something down that is giving you guys a place to run. I just don't agree with all the f'ing bullshiat that has come along with it. It didn't have to happen this way at all. Not at all.

We showed up for both of their events in the beginning...it was what we heard at the event that really turned us off...and it's been downhill ever since with the other actions, such as the letters against us our events to support building a track from Punish'Um, and the disrespect of the DS name, etc...etc. That's really unfortunate.

Like one of the other guys said, we should have been working together. It's stupid and ridiculous.
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
zerozero
no bullsh*t

Additional Info
nalo
Credits: 2,626.10
zerozero is on a distinguished road

The day Drift Session gets a place worth using and starts having events again Punishum's events will suffer. People will choose between the 2 and one will suffer - the one suffering will be Punishum - mark my word.

I expect Tracie to do anything and everything he can to keep DS from having an event. Instead of facing good competition and showing people he provides a better product he'll continue to try to undermine the efforts DS is putting forward to hold events because he knows he cannot beat them. 2 competing drift events would be very good for the drifters and the drift communtiy but very bad for Punishum.

- we'll get to see how much lower he will go. He's already shown he'll go pretty low judging by the e-mail he just sent out.

Unread 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Whats up with that guy Tracy anyway. It's like hes on a rampage to bash on anything OMAC, DS, SL, MO... and the way he says things, makes him look VERY bad.
I went to that racing in hawaii site, and just reading a few posts by him made me think "wow, this place isn't for everyone, its for a certain group of people"
Very unprofessional. That's why I like you folks, no dumb rants and raves, all professionalism, and willing to share alot of info.
Unread 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,377.80
kombi731 has disabled reputation

I saw punishem on TV a while back dunno if thats the same guy
but that show was terrible if you're gonna make it to TV lets shoot for better quality than high school closed circuit shit! and they tried to make everyone else sound like a hack when the got to discussing the track. and yes they threw around Mikes name and OMAC. they shouldn't rag on anybody Oahu is too small for that
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hawaii is too small to do stupid political and business moves...

truth, justice and the american way, baby! i'll call the president

*cue national anthem

Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time
Unread 10-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #20
Ronin

I just like throw smoke, get choke angle n hold dat faka as fast as can boo...dun matter with who really. As long as I can afford it. $125 was kind of steep tho for the nov event. Now we gotta wait till they set the date for January...hopefully its after Jan. 6th when I get back from my trip to Tahiti.
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #21
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i would imagine moving the event to sometime in January is up to the stadium. if the Nov event was the last event, how will this be possible?

they want 5,000 spectators to make money. i don't see how that is possible even with big name drivers. it would have been cool if the drifters could use the stadium until something better comes along.

it is hard to find good promoters. if you spend alot of money, you need to make alot of money for it to work... or at least break even.

hang in there guys and gals... other people are still working on getting places to play.
Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #22
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

We didn't get even 5,000 spectators when the Signal Auto Event happened...I think it was 3,000 back then. 5,000 is a pipedream. Even the last drag racing event didn't get 5,000 people I think.
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #23
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Just because I don't like the promoter, I won't even bother going.
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #24
Udrivecrap
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

the last drag event? you mean the last day? i was there if that's what you're talking about, i didn't count heads because i was too busy trying to get my runs in... i'm guessing around 1,000 heads there... maybe more but less than 2,000

based on the figures of $20 per head and wanting 5,000 heads... these events must be in the $10,000 range to hold. that's kinda pricey in my book... but what do i know anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytomo
Just because I don't like the promoter, I won't even bother going.
like any other show or event, if it sucks because of the promoter or group... would you go a second time? i've seen alot of shows in my day, concerts, plays, exhibitions... $20 buys your entertainment, question is if you got a good deal or not.
Virtually
Runs
On
Luck
Every
Time

Last edited by Udrivecrap; 11-01-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #25
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Is it really that much? I know SCCA doesn't pay even close to that... but then again, we don't have barriers, spectator stands and the like. Just portapotties.

Facebook Comments