Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Island Life

Unread 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #251
KenTwo
Chaotic Neutral

Additional Info
Kalihi
Credits: 2,890.00
KenTwo is on a distinguished road

Do you have pins/clothes pin w/ weights that you can hold the lettuce with?

Anyways,
Are there any ornamental fish that are easy to raise and breed? I'd like to do a mini hydro/aquaponic type of set up but I don't to use the typical tilapia for the fish. Everyone does that, I'd like to grow some type of plant, maybe even ornamental plants, but I'd like to use a different type of fish. Any suggestions?

Dr. Horrible - "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #252
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,926.35
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTwo View Post
Do you have pins/clothes pin w/ weights that you can hold the lettuce with?
yeah, i think i'm going to use a heavier weight, or maybe tuck a corner of the lettuce under one of the tank decorations.

my wife got impatient and just picked up the fake log decoration with all the cone snails on it and tossed it in a bucket. she picked off all the snails and threw them into a bucket of salt water, rinsed the log, and put it back.

next night, the log was covered with snails again, so she did it again.

now the big snails you can see are gone, but there are lots of little snails growing up in the tank. we'll do the lettuce thing tonight, probably.

i think loach #2 must be eating some of the smaller snails, because he's getting kinda chubby.
Unread 10-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #253
KenTwo
Chaotic Neutral

Additional Info
Kalihi

Maybe you need to put the lettuce in when you turn out the lights, so the fish are less likely to see it.

Unread 10-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #254
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info
Credits: 1,528.40
aspects is on a distinguished road

got started rescapng my 1g project tank

now i just have to wait for the driftwood to sink so i can shape it, then i can add the rest of my java ferns, and hopefully some anubias nanas
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #255
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

nice!!! ^^^

poor new bristlenose appears to have some sort of fin rot (last BN in same tank also had fin rot).

wife's been treating with mela oil, but she hasn't seen any change in status.

i hope we don't lose this guy, too... he finally warmed up to the other fish (or they warmed up to him) and the three of them cruise around the tank now.

we're getting them all from the same pet store, i wonder if we're buying them with some sort of fin rot.
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #256
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTwo View Post
Maybe you need to put the lettuce in when you turn out the lights, so the fish are less likely to see it.
thanks!

we just tried that (putting it in at night) but the fish can still see it and get in the way (gotta get it in there and weight it down, and they can see us moving around and putting it in).

otoh, though, once we get it in there, they tend to leave it alone if we feed them right before we put the lettuce in, so we'll see if the cone snails go for it.
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #257
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

well, our bristlenose has been corrupted. he discovered fish flakes, and now he waits for us to feed the fish instead of eating the algae off the tank walls.

whenever he sees me near the tank, he swims over to the side and waits, or he sticks to the glass on the front. he'll follow me around the tank as i move around the room and just look at me and beg.

when we feed the fish, he swims around and tries to swim so his mouth (on his underside, like a ray) faces up so he can get the floating food. otherwise, he waits on the bottom for the food to float by him in the current and jumps on it.

he totally gave up cleaning the tank, and just lies around with loach #1 on the bottom (who i think may have given up eating snails - i think he got tired of them).

grr.
Unread 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #258
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info

here my newest monster tank

hahahahah.

its around 2"x2"x2".
ill probably be getting a couple of shrimp for it in the next couple of days.
Unread 12-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #259
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

cool!

wife told me that our bristlenose pleco can recognize voices - when she's working by the tank, she said if he hears my voice when i walk in the door, he swims to the front and starts looking for me.

i think he figured out i can be easily juiced for more food - if my wife doesn't tell me she already fed them, i sometimes feed them again if they're begging.

i think the fish have me pegged for a sucker.
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #260
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 62,466.31
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

I had no idea fish could become accustomed to certain things. Or beg..hah.
Unread 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #261
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,444.31
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

The 5gal Menehune water container conversion seems to be my best bet if I don't find a 5~10 gal soon. It seems that the 10gal tanks are all out, except for PetCo? (in Pearl City across Wallyworld) but there's were more than the $13 that I've seen elsewhere. I just need to figure out how to do the conversion.

I wish I kept my 5gal that I got rid of a few years back.
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 12-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #262
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
I had no idea fish could become accustomed to certain things. Or beg..hah.
i think they're begging - when they see someone, they all crowd over to the side of the tank and stare at them, or go up to the surface and wait.

and i think bristlenose can tell the difference between people - when he sees me, he swims right over. when my wife comes up to the tank and tries to call him, he just ignores her, or puts out his defensive gill hooks and extends his fins (defensive or aggressive position) and stares at her.

i have no idea what she did to him, other than she operates the gravel vacuum when we clean the tank (i'm outside turning the hose and off, so he can't see me).
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #263
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,444.31
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

^In a way then, you've conditioned the bristlenose to associate her presence with the "awful thingy that disrupts our normally serene tank atmosphere" hehhehehe
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 12-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #264
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

i think so - plus she catches him in a net when we're cleaning the tank to move him into a holding tank, and his gill hooks and fins get caught in the net (he doesn't like that either).
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #265
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

all the readings i've done says bristlenose plecos are primarly nocturnal, peaceful, algae-eating fish that do good in community tanks.

this guy is 0 for 4 now.

he's up all day and night, as long as he knows people are awake.

he's getting kinda aggressive towards other fish that get too close to him (had to move him from the other tank because he and the loach #2 would always fight). if he's waiting for me by the glass and another fish comes up to look at me, he'll dart at them and chase them away.

he doesn't eat algae anymore (waits for fish flakes).

he isn't much of a team player - just hangs out with loach #1 and plots against the other fish.

when he was smaller, he was much more peaceful and introverted. now that he's the second biggest fish in the tank, it's going to his head.

i just might have to put a bigger fish in there that can kick his ass for a couple of days to mellow him out.
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #266
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic View Post
The 5gal Menehune water container conversion seems to be my best bet if I don't find a 5~10 gal soon. It seems that the 10gal tanks are all out, except for PetCo? (in Pearl City across Wallyworld) but there's were more than the $13 that I've seen elsewhere. I just need to figure out how to do the conversion.

I wish I kept my 5gal that I got rid of a few years bac.
walmart usually has lots of 10g tanks. Empty and full kits
Unread 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #267
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info

initial set up.

substrate: ADA Aquasoil (Amazonia II)
decor: Malaysian Driftwood
fauna: 2 types of anubias, (nana, and the skinny leaf one), java fern, amazon swords
equipment: Nutrafin Co2 System w/ bubble ladder

this was a few hours after i first set it up. the soil was still settling so its pretty cloudy.

today i up graded the light to 40w (from the original 15w)and added a few more plants.
got some ground cover started, and i tied all the java ferns to the DW. also added some java moss to the front of the DW.

hopefully it will grow in nicely.
i guess we will see.
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #268
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hahahaha....

wife and bristlenose were antagonizing each other yesterday after work...

he puffed out his gill hooks at her, so she stood by his tank making faces back at him.

they took turns making faces at each other until he finally turned his back on her.

i'm not sure who won, but it was funny as heck!
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #269
KenTwo
Chaotic Neutral

Additional Info
Kalihi

aspects - can't wait to see the plant tank. I always wanted to build one with some nice schooling fish, a few shrimp, and maybe an angel or something.

If anyone goes to a pet store, let me know if they have Axolotls and if so, what's the price range. I know Petland Kahala has some for $35 and Ko'olau has some for $29. But Kahala's only had albino and the others didn't look too solid, and Ko'olau only had the brownish ones. I was looking for different colors. Thanks

Unread 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #270
spider_monkey52
HT Specialist

Additional Info
Send a message via AIM to spider_monkey52 Send a message via MSN to spider_monkey52
Credits: 2,147.06
spider_monkey52 is on a distinguished road

friend has a mini saltwater tank set up, think we might go and catch some stuff for it this weekend.

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #271
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

well, dunno how it happened, but our third(!?!?!?) bristlenose has died. found him on the bottom of the tank the other day. he looked a little listless and not as lively, so i was about to isolate him and put him in the medical tank after i got home from work.

he didn't make it that long.

now his loach friend keeps swimming around the bottom of the tank looking for him under the filter, tank heater, in the boat, etc... everywhere they used to hang out.

i thought these things are supposed to be pretty hardy fish, dunno how my wife keeps managing to kill them (her tanks).

no more plecos for her - i got her a sponge scrubber on a stick for the tanks.
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #272
spider_monkey52
HT Specialist

Additional Info
Send a message via AIM to spider_monkey52 Send a message via MSN to spider_monkey52
Credits: 2,147.06
spider_monkey52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post
well, dunno how it happened, but our third(!?!?!?) bristlenose has died. found him on the bottom of the tank the other day. he looked a little listless and not as lively, so i was about to isolate him and put him in the medical tank after i got home from work.

now his loach friend keeps swimming around the bottom of the tank looking for him under the filter, tank heater, in the boat, etc... everywhere they used to hang out.

i thought these things are supposed to be pretty hardy fish, dunno how my wife keeps managing to kill them (her tanks).

get a blue eyed pleco hehehehehe. once you see the price you'll understand

Unread 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #273
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this View Post

do you have a water testing kit (liquid, not paper strips)?
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #274
aspects
Bombara

Additional Info

quick snap of some of the exodons.

Unread 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #275
KenTwo
Chaotic Neutral