Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii's Racing Community > Scale Auto, RC Hobbies & Racing > Hawaii RC Crawlers

Hawaii RC Crawlers Come here to discuss the latest with HRCC!

Unread 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info
Credits: 2,540.66
Xtant3150c is on a distinguished road
Default Xtant's Losi MRC

Picked up from Dave on Friday, but did'nt get to run it until Sunday at the Crawler Comp. Actually was the 2nd driver as I let DTP take it for a test run so he could see what it could do. After his run he called Dave to pick up the Red one Dave had in stock!

Ran it in stock trim on Sunday and it did pretty good, with the obvious downfall being the stock battery location up top similar to the Axial Scorpion stock setup.

We discussed about starting a 1.9 Comp Class for HRCC next season. So despite wanting to run it pretty stock for awhile (only planned a battery change to lipo) I came home Sunday after the comp and started modding the MRC

First was getting rid of the stock battery/radio tray. Picked up some Axial 60mm post to use as new chassis braces. Moved the shock upper mounting ball studs to the chassis. This lower's the ride height a little.

Copied Sprint80's lexan upper link tray layout for mine. This allowed me to mount the battery on the front upper link tray, the receiver on the rear upper link tray and the esc on the rear axle servo mount plate.

Next was flipping the trans/skid so that I had more room on the front upper link tray to mount the battery.

Have not run it yet since making the changes but the cog is lower and this can only help. Also added 1oz. of lead to the front wheels. Did'nt want to go to heavy as have been hearing people burning up the stock servo with to much weight added.

Last edited by Xtant3150c; 10-24-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

A few pics from Sunday at Kaena Point.

Unread 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
JoeWorks
MT Racing

Additional Info
Credits: 2,666.05
JoeWorks is on a distinguished road

Looks good my friend.. Hope to get mines as soon as the next batch come in..

Shoots..

“IN ONES WORLD OF GIVE AND TAKE, ONE MUST THINK IF ONE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO GIVE”
Unread 10-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Big-Kid
Big-Kid in Paradise......

Additional Info
Kaneohe
Credits: 1,615.07
Big-Kid is on a distinguished road

oohh, Joe's getting one too? I better stop reading these little updates.....

Do you think these Losi axels will hold up for 1.9 comp'ing duty? And do the shocks bind any being angled out slightly with those Axial spacers/links?
Unread 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
JoeWorks
MT Racing

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Kid
oohh, Joe's getting one too? I better stop reading these little updates.....

Do you think these Losi axels will hold up for 1.9 comp'ing duty? And do the shocks bind any being angled out slightly with those Axial spacers/links?
Mr. Big you might as well get one. For around 230 buck RTR with 2.4 radio system and HRCC is planning a 1.9 class for next season. Its one way to comp and/or crawl with the gang at a low price tag. IMO

OH YEAH...I got mine last night so I'm good to go for 2.2 and 1.9 for next season.

As far as how it would hold up, only time will tell and like any other type of machinery, its also how you treat/maintain them.

Shoots..

“IN ONES WORLD OF GIVE AND TAKE, ONE MUST THINK IF ONE HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO GIVE”
Unread 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

C'Mon Big you know you want one

The shocks did bind a little in that setup, but only when I pushed down on the chassis in the front so that both shocks compressed together. In regular articulation movement where the shocks moved opposite of each other there was no binding at all.

However I did change the upper shock mount and moved the braces back so that the shocks where sitting straight up and down.

The stock shocks and springs are really soft! Definately want to put a thicker oil in them and if you can find stiffer springs that would help alot! Although picking up some 3Racing MLST shocks seems to be an easier fit and fix!

Like Joe said time will tell how the axles hold up? So far it seems that they are holding up very well in most situations. I have heard more about people stripping the stock servo and really have'nt heard anything about stripped gears? If you go and put a ton of weight on it and then up the power to a stronger motor (only 1 out that I know of and it is not that much more power) and lock the slipper then maybe? Kind of like the MLST in a lot of ways.

Ran the truck with the 1.9 Moab's I have but the grass was a little wet so they looked really bad! They also look really huge on the MRC but they are 4.25 inches tall so only half an inch taller then the stockers.

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Well picked up my daughter from school today and stop by Kahaluu pond to get some runtime on real rocks in!

All I have to say is This thing is a blast!!!!!! I ran for about a half an hour and that was only in a quarter of the area that we had comp courses on! This thing is pretty amazing! And this was with the stock tires! Not sure how good my 1.9 Moab's will do? But man do I want some cut down 2.2's!!!

The Blue compound stock size tires should be a good improvement over the stockers, but weight of the rig comes into play and I don't want to get to heavy that the drivetrain starts getting over-stressed.

But again with the stock tires with 1.5 oz. in the front and 1 oz. in the back it feels o.k. but another oz would help without being to much I think.

The stock saver really sucks!hehehe Well it's just to soft and I did'nt have any tools with me (duh) so could'nt try tightening it up to see if that would help? I did do it when I came home so we'll see how the stock servo likes this? If it does go I'll put my cheapy (but metal geared and full sized) TowerPro servo as a replacement. It will mean having to make a new servo mount plate.

Putting the Moab's on now for the next run whether it is outside the house or by the pond?

The 3Racing M03 shocks worked really well! The limited articulation was just about right to me. The yellow springs are a little to soft though. Not as bad as the stockers though. So I changed to the Tamiya blue springs for the rear and will see how they do? May need to change to a thicker oil in the shocks as they only have 35wt. in them now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC27.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1303   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC28.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1304   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC29.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1305   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC30.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1306   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC26.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1307  

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Some pics from today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MRC31.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1308   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC32.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1309   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC33.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1310   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC34.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1311   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC37.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1312  

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

And some more....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MRC35.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1313   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC36.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1314   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC38.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1315   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC40.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1317   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC41.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1318  

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

And yes some more......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MRC43.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1319   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC44.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1320   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC45.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	1321   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC47.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1322   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC48.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1323  

Unread 10-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

And I'm Spent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MRC49.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1324   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC50.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1325   Click image for larger version

Name:	MRC51.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1326  
Unread 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
JoeWorks
MT Racing

Additional Info

Your rig is kooks better every time my friend. And a very good idea on the 3racing shock. I have a set sitting in my stair parts box and you just gave them a new home on my MRC. Is it possible to move the upper shock mount inwards for more articulation? Or would a new chassis like a mini slingshot/black jack/top banana etc. be needed. Man I can’t wait to get home a start looking at my MRC but OCS is this weekend and I should look at my cars. Or not. hehe

Shoots..

Unread 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

ThanX Joe!

It is possible to get the upper shock mounts more inward just need a different screw nut setup? I am just using the ball stud and set screw that came with the shocks.

Doing this will take away space on the upper links so if you are planning to mount electronics there it will limit what you can do?

I get about 3 inches under the tire when articulating.

And don't forget the long rod ends from the TLT kit that I used to make the shocks longer. Without them the chassis would sit with the lower links pointing upward from the center skid to the axle which I think is to low

A longer chassis like the Mini SlingShot etc. should allow for more mounting options with these or other shocks.
Unread 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Big-Kid

Additional Info
Kaneohe

I was thinking M03 shocks? Not kinda short? But with those longer, lower, TLT links the ride height while sitting on the rocks looks good. Did you get hung up alot like that?

I've got a set of STOCK MLST shocks from my first truck (not the current one with the shiny's, sorry ) you can try out if you'd like. I'm thinking your M03 & M04 are now sitting shock-less, and the other car with the friction movers

Those stock Claws look like a good size scale wise on the rig. The Moabs look okay, but yah a tad big and close in to the chassis/body. Hard to compare the size of the production, stock tires to your homemade brew. But, your handy work looks better and must do a better job

I would be thinking about an MRC.........the big BUT is cuz someone else twisted my arm into buying their AX10 Then he made me buy the EDGE to complete the set.....................................nah:hilari ous:

What size is the motor? 380/400? I'm sure we could squeeze something else in there
Unread 10-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

The belly clearance is just about right for this rig I think. It did'nt get hung all that much.

I would'nt mind trying the MLST stockers if you don't mind? And yes my M-Chassis' are sitting shock less Well the M03 has front shocks on it

The motor is 380 size. It is a pretty tight fit but maybe a 400 size motor? But I don't think there is much need for more power or speed. But Holmes Hobbies does have a motor for the MRC already.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1

And you know you are going to have a blast with that AX-10/EDGE chassis setup

Know anyone interested in a M03R
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #16
Big-Kid

Additional Info
Kaneohe

Yah, leave it to Holmes to have a motor upgrade already

No prob, i'll bring the stock shocks when we meet up. I'm sure i'll have fun with the AX10, i'm looking forword to it

Darth might be intrested in your M03R? He expressed some intrest when I trolled my M03. The R kit might get him going? Well, he did also window shop on the K2 chassis, but wasn't ready..........lol.

One thing I didn't care for was how much the stock saver sticks out. It's like a big, honking nose up front Oh boy, what was Losi thinking about there? The saver almost peeks past your 1.9 Moab's, but it deffinately pulls up even with the stock Claws Perhaps if the stock servo gears strip, there might be a JR metal gear upgrade that wil fit inside of the stock servo?

Is there enough room for a BTA flip? Perhaps if you were able to level out the servo, then run the steering links behind the shocks? In any case, some turnbuckles-for-steering-links might br prudent
Unread 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #17
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Aah I would rather sell the M03R locally as I would lose out on shipping cost!

Yah the saver does stick out a bit but so far has'nt been that much of an issue actually. A BTA would be to much of a hassle!hehehe

I'll just deal with putting my towerpro servo on there when I need to. This will force me to look into a "Real" servo for my 2.2 rig!
Unread 01-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
Sprint 80
Ankle Buster

Additional Info
Credits: 1,561.35
Sprint 80 is on a distinguished road

Any updates to your MRC?
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint 80
Any updates to your MRC?
Not since Sunday

The truck is basically back to stock with the lower shock mounts now mounted with the lower links on the axles(badger mod).

Still looking for tires
Unread 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Back from the Dead :shock: (Or atleast out of the box :?::cry

Well finally got around to getting some new tires for the MRC :!:

Went with Proline G8 Flat Irons as that was what I found local :-P

Have to say I like the size and grip of these tires! The grip did bring back the torque twist that did'nt seem to be present with this setup on the stock tires?
But overall I am liking them after the 30 minutes of running I did yesterday.

I need to get either wideners or wide offset beadlocks?

Today I 4 linked the rear. Used an old MRS4 Penguin R/C battery holder. Going to leave the front alone for now.

Been thinking about an aftermarket chassis setup? Either Mini GC2 or a Tuber? Not sure how many comps I will be making so I can go either way?

Here's some pics from the run yesterday.

Unread 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #21
Xtant3150c
Kamikaze

Additional Info

Here's pics of the rear 4 link setup

Got a little run time in today in Kahaluu!!!! Sorry no pics had my girls with me

4 linked definately helped!

Facebook Comments