Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Aftermarket exhaust systems

Okay, the heat shields on my Frontier are making that dreaded rattle sound. My truck sounds like a sick diesel at the stop lights. They're frozen on so I couldn't unbolt/unscrew them. My yard is mud so I can't crawl under the truck now.

I'm using this as an excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust, from the cat back hopefully.

I'm aware of the marginal performance gain by getting a freer flowing system, and I'm not one to want to wake up the neighborhood at 4:00am (as I sometimes need to hit the road), but what do you recommend, preferably by what you experience on your own vehicles.

I'm also aware of the pending bill to outlaw loud mufflers. Personally I don't think it'll fly.

I'm okay with running a single tailpipe, but wouldn't mind getting a dual-exhaust system (though I'll run cat-back and it's probably waste money to have a dual-system for the V6 that the truck is equipped with.)

FYI my truck used to average about 15 miles a week commuting. Now I average about 70 miles a week, over the Pali or Likelike. (3x / week).

Discuss? What you like or prefer.
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 56,236.06
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

Hmm...I don't really have much experience in aftermarket exhausts for trucks. Personally, I've always bought them more to be happy with the sound and possible performance gain. Fuel mileage has never been a factor.

I'd just say go with whatever you think you like, hehe. Not alot of help, heh.
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Rob
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Go with Borla.. they claim they meet SAE J1169/J1492 requirements

Million mile warranty (stainless)

Pricey though

HONOLULU HOG CHAPTER #0833FACEBOOK

I am afflicted with craniosprocketism (Gearhead disease)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Thanks you guys!

The truck has 142K on the odometer. I changed the timing belt last year (the idler pulley exploded in the front cover!...a miracle it kept running though it sounded horrible, it was changed at 100K so the belt was practically new, now brand new belt and pulley), doesn't leak oil or burn oil, shifts hard and firm...no rust...I like the truck. Point is, I guess I would spend the money to get something that would last.

My wife thinks it won't...when I took my old EF Civic to Midas I asked for a turbo muffler to be installed...lasted two years before rusting through (almost falling off), replaced it with stock muffler...she thinks all aftermarket exhaust is trash.

On my budget I will think through this. The Borlas sound good (youtube). But excess noise is one of my concerns. I must be getting old.
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,771.10
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Go with Borla.. they claim they meet SAE J1169/J1492 requirements

Million mile warranty (stainless)

Pricey though
+1. used them on our last T4R and my minivan. probably will be getting one for wife's T4R soon.

they're actually a bit cheaper than the Ultraflo mufflers (i got the universal ones, then my friend's shop just fabbed up the exhaust to make them fit).

didn't waste money on tips or anything shiny, paid for the muffler, the materials, and a couple of plate lunches.

they're not horribly loud, they rumble a bit, but aren't obnoxious.

if i get the raptor or jeep SRT for the wife, though- it's probably going to be flowmaster deltas.
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,771.10
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
On my budget I will think through this. The Borlas sound good (youtube). But excess noise is one of my concerns. I must be getting old.
it can never be too loud.

on a somewhat related note... check your PM.

Facebook Comments