Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Preppers (all levels)

As more of our HT friends return here from FB, I figured I'd confess a secret hobby.

I'm a prepper.

Not the "extreme" ones I hear about on TV (I don't have cable but everyone thinks I fall in that category), but simple, sensible preparations for what could be hard times to come.

Yard and house preps, water catchment and use, food storage, personal and domestic (house) defense (lethal and non-lethal), vehicle preps, etc. Even zombie attack stuff (I don't believe in it but I know lots of folks have fun with it).

Even something as simple as your everyday carry (EDC) which was once brought up. I like to be ready for whatever life can throw at me without looking like I'm going to Iraq or Afghanistan (large packs and cargo pants)

It would be great to discuss and share ideas, pictures too. I'm always showing off my wife's "eat the yard" garden which provides an ample amount of daily nutrition for our family of four (plus one mother in law).
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI
Wii Friend Code: 0793 7742 9373 2923
Credits: 59,353.31
ArchangelX is on a distinguished road

After living on a small island for such a long time, I'd think it'd be second nature. The Zombie thing is nuts, lol, and very popular.

I'm a very, very minor prepper. I have a generator, a decent stockpileof water to last (thanks to Menehune), and a ton of MREs. I don't have the land nor the space to do a garden, but it's an interesting concept. I grew up with a garden in my backyard and a farm in front of me.

Being a former weapons instructor, sometimes I'm amazed I didn't carry it over into my personal life. Strange.
Unread 01-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,853.20
Act162this is on a distinguished road

not hardcore, but mostly for emergencies:

lots of bottled water, bunch of gallon milk and juice jugs of water for non-consumption use, generator and gas, propane stoves, butane portable stove, canned goods for a couple of weeks. probably going to invest in some freeze-dried food packets again. we used to take those camping, and they're actually not too bad.

was thinking about converting our ti leaf and ginger patch to a garden again (we used to grow lettuce and veggies in it years ago). would make a good project for son and i.
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I really want a taser, lol...
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

I also prep to a point.
I store a bunch of water and dry goods for at least a month.
I have some firearms and a bunch of ammo.
I have a ton of flashlights, batteries, knives, lighters, propane, sternos.
I'm also looking into an aquaponic garden using tilapia... we have a 5500sq ft pikake field which is now basically dead, and the lot has ag water bills. So I was thinking of using it to grow our own food.
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Wow, Cory, where do you live man? LOL...
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelX View Post
Wow, Cory, where do you live man? LOL...
by diamond head hehe
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Sounds huge. LOL.
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by corytomo View Post
by diamond head hehe
Your plot of land is there too? That's awesome!

Especially since you can get ag water without the ridiculous sewer fees tied to it. Let's make a pond!
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
Your plot of land is there too? That's awesome!

Especially since you can get ag water without the ridiculous sewer fees tied to it. Let's make a pond!
yeah can!!! its next door to my house, but it needs a ton of work
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Well, the sentiment is nice...finding time to help you clear is the sticky part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

On another track...What is everyone's true EDC carry? Not add it now, but what have you carried and would go nuts if you forgot at home (figuratively of course) kind of EDCs that you pack?

For me, wallet, watch (still have my Citizen Eco-drive, 10 years and still going), keys, Spyderco H1 Salt folding knife, Leatherman Super Tool 300, pocket AA LED flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

hmm.

wallet, little bag for coins, mini led flashlight, phone, spyderco or SOG (whichever matches my clothes), work keys and my keys.

depending on what else i might need or where i might be going, ASP and/or pepper spray.

i think i'd feel naked without my phone, wallet, or spyderco.
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

Man, I absolutely HATE having anything in my pocket. I usually prefer not to carry anything...but if I do, it's just keys, wallet, phone, and I have a folding mini pocket knife with a decent blade I sometimes carry depending on where I am.

My tactical gear is still all setup from being in the military though, haha. Just missing the pistol and rifle to go with it.
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Shinigami052
Big Gun

Additional Info
Hawaii Kai, HI
Send a message via AIM to Shinigami052
Credits: 244.07
Shinigami052 is on a distinguished road

My dad and I wanted to make a water catchment system (just for watering plants tho, not drinking water). Any suggestions on where to look for information on planning and possible permitting?

"The Special Olympics is to winners what Fox News is to experts--if you show up, you are one." -John Stewart (The Daily Show 11/18/09)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
ArchangelX
Forum BOB-Erator

Additional Info
Kalihi, Oahu, HI

I've read about that stuff before, pretty elaborate process, but I have no idea where to look other than Google.
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami052 View Post
My dad and I wanted to make a water catchment system (just for watering plants tho, not drinking water). Any suggestions on where to look for information on planning and possible permitting?
Lots of places Ran!

Even something as simple as going to Home Depot's website and checking out "gutters" and related subjects.

They have water barrels that plumb into your gutter system (including a splice-in bypass to your existing gutters if you've got them), and different styles of containers, etc. (if you don't want the "recycled syrup barrels against your house" look).

We have five 55 gallon barrels against our garage at our current home. We just catch the water off the garage roof as it runs off. I priced getting gutters installed (landlord was okay with it as it reduces our water bill for watering), but the roof is an old-style that would require extra (and pricey) carpentry, and the additional water would be quite marginal as the barrels fill quickly (as they have been last few weeks).

I plumbed in hose bibbs on the bottoms of the barrels so Kay could attach a garden hose and water her garden. Of course, the gravity feed off of 55 gallons only a couple feet up doesn't create massive water pressure, and half the time she just gets her watering can and dips in the barrels after removing the lids (I'll show you a picture), part for her therapy in just playing in her garden.

SO we have the "ghetto" version of water catchment. Thankfully it's on the side of the garage where it's not readily visible. We might be moving so we'd have to dismantle the system before we leave, of course.
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #18
Shinigami052
Big Gun

Additional Info
Hawaii Kai, HI
Send a message via AIM to Shinigami052
Credits: 244.07
Shinigami052 is on a distinguished road

That's kinda what I was thinking of doing too. We have gutters already and our house is kinda big so I'm pretty sure one half decent rain will fill up a 55gal drum like nothing. I wonder if I can rig up some kind of pump to pump water to the highest point on our property to gravity feed it back down. Although that may be stupid and should just use the pump to pump the water out into the plants directly. Hmmm I'll have to talk to my dad about this one. Thanks!

"The Special Olympics is to winners what Fox News is to experts--if you show up, you are one." -John Stewart (The Daily Show 11/18/09)
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami052 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking of doing too. We have gutters already and our house is kinda big so I'm pretty sure one half decent rain will fill up a 55gal drum like nothing. I wonder if I can rig up some kind of pump to pump water to the highest point on our property to gravity feed it back down. Although that may be stupid and should just use the pump to pump the water out into the plants directly. Hmmm I'll have to talk to my dad about this one. Thanks!

That's our barrel system. Those were recycled syrup barrels from a friend, they're normally all sealed except for small screw on cap fittings. I cut off the lids with a circular saw and fit them on loosely, flipping the lids so they act like rain catchers. Drilled holes so the rain can drip in and it keeps leaves and other big things out. Amazingly, there are no mosquitoes that breed in the barrels.

You cannot see the hose bibbs since they're turned away from the camera. But my wife just pops the lids and scoops water out and has a watering can and hand sprinklers so she can water the veggies.
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
nlm
Robot Kat

Additional Info
Credits: 3,305.54
nlm is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That's our barrel system. Those were recycled syrup barrels from a friend, they're normally all sealed except for small screw on cap fittings. I cut off the lids with a circular saw and fit them on loosely, flipping the lids so they act like rain catchers. Drilled holes so the rain can drip in and it keeps leaves and other big things out. Amazingly, there are no mosquitoes that breed in the barrels.

You cannot see the hose bibbs since they're turned away from the camera. But my wife just pops the lids and scoops water out and has a watering can and hand sprinklers so she can water the veggies.
Uncle Kyle, that's super cool. We have a barrel too (doesn't rain that much out our way), but we haven't set it up yet. Did you have to paint or prep the outside of your barrels?
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #21
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlm View Post
Uncle Kyle, that's super cool. We have a barrel too (doesn't rain that much out our way), but we haven't set it up yet. Did you have to paint or prep the outside of your barrels?
Thanks Nori! Kay loves "harvesting rain" as we call it. They're overflowing now!

As for prepping, inside depends on what the barrel was originally used for. These were tea and juice syrup barrels for a manufacturer. Our church received donations of these barrels, we used to attach anchors to them and fill them with water to hold our portable tents down at venues we cannot drive stakes in (parking lots, for example).

These barrels are thin-walled (weigh less than 20 lbs empty). The ones they use for holding tents down are thicker plastic (about 70 lbs empty), so my crew was going to throw the thin-wall ones away or see if someone wanted to make something with them. We took those for our rain barrels.

When the heavy barrels leak (from wear and tear), I would bring them home, cut them in half, and Kay would use them for potting her trees (Meyer lemon, loquat, avocado, etc.)

So check what was in the barrel first. The thick wall barrels we had contained industrial food-grade detergent (acidic), so we had to prep by flush and neutralize of the product, then let sit with water for a week b4 putting them to use (even if they're just anchors for tents, we thought about leaks, etc.)

Outside of the barrels? Our landlord was okay with our setup since it's not visible from the street/lane. We're moving in a month and our new landlord is good with us installing them at our new house (even going to plumb them to the gutter system and downspouts!). Paint works good as I have painted Kay's tree pots to match the house.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 02-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #22
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Hey, preppers,

Who packs a blade?

When talking knives many people want to carry a vicious looking, "tactical" or "Rambo" style knife as though to disembowel adversaries, etc.

I however, carry more practical application blades for real life situations. My taste goes from dirt cheap to low-middle price range.

Top is an old Appalachian Trail folder that a friend on Molokai gave me as a token. It is sharp as heck and holds its edge long, even after cutting #12 wire and punching cans open and cutting bags of fertilizer and insecticide for years.

Bottom is a Spyderco Salt H1, ocean resistant and corrosion proof, even after a good soaking in the sea! It too holds a great edge.

Both get sharpened periodically, every few months depending on how much I thrash them.

Sent from my NEXTEL i1000 using Tapatalk
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #23
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

it's like american express - never leave home without it.

saltwater spyderco for going to the beach/fishing, endura (s/s) for when i need something nice, endura black FRN for daily.

benchmades for daily carry or jogging/walking.

SOG assisted opening if i feel like i want something a bit bigger, but it's actually too thick for daily carry in jeans and too heavy for dress slacks.

ladybug for the wife, along with pepper gel spray and ASP. (long, mid, short range defense).
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

What Benchmade knives do you have? And do you buy local or order online?

I just took a look at their site; beautiful knives. I know the Griptilian is popular with many.

I was thinking of getting a tanto-bladed "bushcraft" style fixed blade full-tang knife. I have a Gerber boot knife that's non-folding and solid, but it has a spear point with double-edges sharpened so it's not really a good functional bushcraft type knife (cannot baton the knife for splitting wood, etc.)
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #25
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
What Benchmade knives do you have? And do you buy local or order online?

I just took a look at their site; beautiful knives. I know the Griptilian is popular with many.

I was thinking of getting a tanto-bladed "bushcraft" style fixed blade full-tang knife. I have a Gerber boot knife that's non-folding and solid, but it has a spear point with double-edges sharpened so it's not really a good functional bushcraft type knife (cannot baton the knife for splitting wood, etc.)
i've got a couple of older benchmades that are probably long discontinued. they're at least 15 years old or more, but i did get them at PowerEdge (got a great deal). one has a regular blade, the other has a black 1/2 serrated blade that is great for cutting radiator hose, duct tape, etc... (came in handy in my mechanic days). i think i've got a smaller one somewhere, too.

I really liked the thumbholes over the little peg to open them since i've had benchmades for so long - i think that's part of the reason i started picking up spydercos later. i couldn't get used to the little pegs to open the knives on other brands.

I think my next purchase will probably be a cold steel folding tanto (not for carry, but like the SOG, just to collect). my friends had cold steel tantos and beat the hell out of them, and they're still alive and kicking like 15 years later (and sharp as heck). they even used them to cut down small bushes/trees for shelter and firewood when we used to go hiking and camping.

one day i want to get a used vintage Kabar for my collection, preferably something with some age and patina on it that says "i've done my duty".

Facebook Comments