Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Automotive Discussion

HT Hosting

Unread 07-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
legato
Breaker

Additional Info
Credits: 1,770.50
legato is on a distinguished road
Default out of state car registration

Sup peepz!

Hope all is well back in warm hawaii...

Anyway i'm in SJ now and i got mail from hawaii to register my car.

Not planning on moving back home anytime soon, but I'm still running my HI plates up here...I had to remove my 2 front window tints b/c seems cali law doesn't allow for that...To avoid any profiling of sorts I opted to remove my front tint...

I see a few cars here w/ out-of state plates and was wondering how much of an issues is it to do keep the car registered out of state?

Can CHP or any police officer impound the car?

What sucks is the registration fee for my car here is like a bit more than what I'd be paying for HI registration...

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend peepz!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info
Credits: 3,004.76
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road

from my understanding when i was going transfer schools in cali and thought about bringing my car up i read some of the laws and it was a long list of crap too!

pretty much if you work or go to school in the state of California and operate a vehicle you"NEED" to register with the DOT CALI and pay their fees. only way around it is if you supposedly are just in the state for Vacation but the CHP will take your plates down and enter it in a data base system so ive heard.

CHP arent people to mess with from what my family that live in cali. if your car stalls on the freeway they dont bother waiting for a tow truck, the use their patrol cars to push you off the road. seriously

Also when you register your vehicle in California your are asked to pay a Sales tax fee on your vehicle based on the cost you paid for the vehicle in another state. The way around that fee is to say you got it as a gift then taxes dont apply.

good luck! and happy Smog checking
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
legato
Breaker

Additional Info
Credits: 1,770.50
legato is on a distinguished road

hey thanks man...I guess I gotta get it registered...

i already got my smock check done...and passed w/ flying colors

but yea they get some pretty craptastic laws up here...

my HI registration expires end of this month so I guess I gotta get on it >,<
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

i think you can do the registration on the CALI dot website not sure but i know for a fact my friend moved to SF last year he spend almost a week dealing with the DMV... if you thought hawaii DMV was nuts.. cali offices are like complete retards
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
corytomo
Big Kahuna

Additional Info

you can keep your plates forever in cali, they never bothered me...
just gotta get a safety check, send it all into the hawaii dmv, and put the new reg sticker on the car.
with the car off the island... you'd need to find hookups.

and i know first hand with the car dying on the side of the freeway, and chp pushing my car off the damn road. punks.
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
xurusaibobx
Gun

Additional Info

Quote:
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

Facebook Comments