Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Island Life

Unread 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Punahou Carnival

It's not raining!....yet.

It sure went from a sunny, slightly overcast day, to dark and cloudy in the afternoon...but so far no rain!

I wonder who started that "tradition" of saying it rains at the carnival. I know some HTers have connections to Punahou.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 10,040.60
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw View Post
It's not raining!....yet.

It sure went from a sunny, slightly overcast day, to dark and cloudy in the afternoon...but so far no rain!

I wonder who started that "tradition" of saying it rains at the carnival. I know some HTers have connections to Punahou.
dunno about that, but it used to always be sunny except for an odd year or two many (like 20) years ago. now it seems like it's rainy more often than not.

glad the weather held up, son and wife spent the whole day there. i spent the day at work staring at lines and lines of code.

not sure if the seniors still do the rain dance the day before the carnival to jinx the junior class (junior class puts on the carnival as their fundraiser).
Unread 02-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

It looks like it's a beautiful day for a carnival.

Let's see what the evening will bring. I was at a meeting at our office this morning and Kailua/ Enchanted Lake had a pretty substantial rain dump.
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Shinigami052
Big Gun

Additional Info
Hawaii Kai, HI
Send a message via AIM to Shinigami052
Credits: 345.61
Shinigami052 is on a distinguished road

For as long as I can remember the carnival has rained. My Jr. year when we did our carnival it actually wasn't that bad. The aftermath tho is something nasty. I feel bad for the groundskeepers. I didn't go this year tho. I'm over the crowds and kids yelling for no reason...**** I'm an old man now.

"The Special Olympics is to winners what Fox News is to experts--if you show up, you are one." -John Stewart (The Daily Show 11/18/09)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami052 View Post
For as long as I can remember the carnival has rained. My Jr. year when we did our carnival it actually wasn't that bad. The aftermath tho is something nasty. I feel bad for the groundskeepers. I didn't go this year tho. I'm over the crowds and kids yelling for no reason...**** I'm an old man now.
ayup. still not keen on going and fighting crowds, looking for parking, etc... but my son enjoys it, and likes hanging out w/ his friends so we try to get down there on friday. when he's older he can go w/ his friends on their own, but for now, they still need to be released to parents i think (unless they're going w/ friends whose parents are going to chaperone them).
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Did you "buy" parking from one of the apartments across the campus? Or did you park 1/2 mile away and walk?

I used to live right across Punahou Street (1710), and I remember a couple of the residents asking me if I wanted to join them in "selling" our parking space during the carnival.

They said they park far away on street, and sit in front offering their space for a "fee". I think back then it was 10 bucks for as long as they can handle. The residents tell me usually average fair goer is 2, maybe 3 hours. They make 50 dollars or more a day.

I was wondering how much parking is going for now a days. Me? I liked my stall. I left my car there and walked over, and basically stayed home anyway.
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info

it's quite the popular thing - the neighborhood churches and maryknoll sell parking. it gets more and more expensive, last year some church had an "all day" rate, and an even higher "in and out" all day rate.

we've been lucky - wife's brother lives nearby, so we park there and walk. if i have to pick up the boy or work the carnival, i just go and park right after i drop him off on the nearest side street and catch up on work in the car until it's time to go get the boy.

couldn't get off work this year, so the wife took him and his friends. they were there all day, but they remembered to come home with the malasadas and portuguese bean soup (other than watching the kids, that's all i go for).

Facebook Comments