Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > Island Life

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Bicycles

With the way gas prices are going apesh!t, I presume that bikes will be gaining popularity again.

And, just about in the late '80s, I became a bike fan. My first bike after BMX (at 12) was a GT Tequesta, and about 600 dollars later became my hardtail, front-suspension dream. I used to bomb Kaena Point every Sunday, riding from Mokuleia (Camp Erdman) to the Cornet store in Makaha, then back again.

Unfortunately, it was ripped off from my apartment when I was cleaning house; cut the Kryptonite lock and took off, leaving a cheap Raleigh that was stolen from the Bike Way not far away (the store reclaimed the bike; so I lost both ways).

Now I still have my Bridgestone MB-6 classic rigid mountain bike, aftermarket stem, bar, pedals, seatpost, shifters, and some other bits. plain, light, retro-cool.

I also have a Mongoose full-suspension frame given to me by my friend Nelly who left it here on Molokai, minus his Spinergy Rev-X wheels (a-la Pacific Blue). Once I get a set of 26" wheels I plan to rebuild it as a road monster/ cruiser.

I also have a cheap Fuji 12 speed that I'm going to convert to a one-speed messenger type "fixie" bike. Just something cool and uncomplicated to tool around town in.

I miss riding bicycles. So it sounds like Dan and Howard have bikes too. What do you guys have?

Anyone else? Anyone tinker and fool with bikes?
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo
Credits: 4,746.50
TheMayor is on a distinguished road

A freebie Motiv CA 480. 18" (whatever that means), Aluminum Frame, 21 speeds.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
kombi731
dropin the duece since 82

Additional Info
Kailua
Credits: 3,922.50
kombi731 has disabled reputation

18'' is the length of the top tube from the seat post part of the frame to the head tube part.
most bikes vary in frame length rather than height for a given model.
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

2005 Kona Stinky
I think I may hang on to this one. This geometry has been virtually unchanged from 04-08(current). And arguably on top of the freeride world. It feels real good and real familiar by now. The '05 is the lightest frame year w/ the best cable run layout(a very small detail). She's taken some hits and I ride quite a bit as we are year round in Hawaii. I may keep the frame and fork and get new everything else and call her new. I like the setup I have now, very strong and fail safe. I've just kicked its teeth in so many times I think 2010 may be a new rig or all new components.
Unread 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Did 9.32 miles today. Started at Lehua Ave via bus, went to stadium on the bike path along the shoreline, then down Kam highway. Stopped at my friends ice cream store (no cheating here), then went back on Kam and biked into Waipahu. At this point my legs became pure rubber and I felt very tired so I jumped on the bus back to Kapolei and went home.

At least its almost 3 miles more than last night.

Unread 07-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,226.35
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

I've got a cute foldable Dahon that I've used on my "commute" from the parking structure to the office building (1/2 mile away)... it got more and more difficult to pull it outta the trunk when I was pregnant. I put it away but have to pull it back out of storage to have it checked out.

I'm looking to pick up a bike I can really ride on the street or even "off-road". I don't need anything super fancy really. I'm just gonna get back into riding and perhaps try to ride more each day for exercise. Maybe if I get really serious and start running again, maybe use it in a biathalon/triathalon (yes, I'm a long way from that) Any suggestions on a fairly decent bike?
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

thats a good ride Howard
I've done that one a lot when I was younger
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombi731
thats a good ride Howard
I've done that one a lot when I was younger
I shake my angry fist at you young people!

Unread 07-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #9
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsStang808
I've got a cute foldable Dahon that I've used on my "commute" from the parking structure to the office building (1/2 mile away)... it got more and more difficult to pull it outta the trunk when I was pregnant. I put it away but have to pull it back out of storage to have it checked out.

I'm looking to pick up a bike I can really ride on the street or even "off-road". I don't need anything super fancy really. I'm just gonna get back into riding and perhaps try to ride more each day for exercise. Maybe if I get really serious and start running again, maybe use it in a biathalon/triathalon (yes, I'm a long way from that) Any suggestions on a fairly decent bike?
Im no bike expert. I leave that stuff to Daniel. But if you want to do some flat land small kine hills riding on bike paths and a little off road exploring then lets roll!

I'd invite Daniel on my excursions but he'd out pace me and find it boring after 10 minutes.

Because I take my sweet ass time.

Unread 07-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,434.18
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hee_Haw
With the way gas prices are going apesh!t, I presume that bikes will be gaining popularity again.
i think so too.

Quote:
Anyone tinker and fool with bikes?
I'm a fool. I have a bicyle.
I tinker too. <--hmm. double meaning on that one, I just noticed.

my current bicycle is rotting under the harsh elements I'll have to pull it (and the keiki's) out soon and do some required maintenance. take out rust. lube. make minor adjustments, etc.

I visit bicycle stores once in a while... Eki's cyclery isn't too far away from where I live... There was a road bicycle that was calling my name... but it was out of my current budget perhaps someday...

wow dan, your 'stinky' is awesome!

Dar, I had thought of buying one of those collapsible bicycles as well... but the styling never really appealed to me. The ones that were catching my eye on those collapsible ones were the models that carried those electric motors
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 07-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Yeah, me too Howard. Dan would probably blow all of us away and be having his ice cream while we vapor lock trying to finish the ride at his pace.

I'm neither conditioned nor prepared to "bomb" like I used to when I was 15 years younger. I really should get back in shape (cardio) enough to comfortably do a 10 mile ride and not call for the medic.

I've been riding mostly out of necessity to get the mail, go to store, etc... just a hop, skip, and jump from the property, really. Very nice, and I realize what I miss when I drive, even here in Kaunakakai.

Only thing is that there's no sidewalks on the side streets, so one has to pace themselves with the cars (which isn't difficult since many of us here aren't in a bloody hurry to get where we want to go... we leave early), so it's kind of a win/win/win for everyone.

Now to get to the airport, that's a WHOLE different story. Like sea level to 800 foot elevation change in a 2 mile rise. I've picked up people from the side of the road who thought they could climb it (even with 24 speeds)... not for the unconditioned (like me).

Dar; I love Dahons! They're major cool and I actually like small tire adult frame bikes (BikeFridays are one neat brand). Hop on it!

If I come for a weekend, it would be cool to have a HT bike ride. I could jack my dad's Stumpjumper for the ride... frame size is almost the same as my Bridgestone.
Unread 07-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

Quote:
I've been riding mostly out of necessity to get the mail, go to store, etc... just a hop, skip, and jump from the property, really. Very nice, and I realize what I miss when I drive, even here in Kaunakakai.
hey there's nothing wrong w/ that

I used to rent/return movies go to the ATM, get scolded in the Burger King drive thru, etc. when I lived on KBay Dr. I used to ride to Aikahi SC all the time.
I guess I still do, I come home late and have to park far away. So I rack my bike and ride home or to my car. Why walk for 5-10min thru suburbia when you can rip it in under 2

oh and the folders are funny. I was on one and the guy didn't lock the folding part correctly. I went parallel kombi I sent the back to the left and front to the right and it made a sweet clicking noise then all was well what a laugh I had afterward though. My front and rear tire were tracking almost a foot apart
Unread 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Ok im back. Broke the 10 mile marker...well....10.15 to be exact. Followed the tracks west into ko'olina. Just about ran out of water and it was hot. So I hit Lagoon #1 when everyone else was fustrated looking for parking. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Victory to the guy on the bike! Locked it to a tree and jumped in!

I couldn't go any further.

People fishing off the rock ledge.

Look at this fool who's sweating and should have packed more water.

Rewarded at last!

Unread 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

berry nice
I think I'm gonna raise hell in Timberline later today
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
MsStang808
Mrs. Officer

Additional Info
Credits: 2,226.35
MsStang808 is on a distinguished road

I have to drop my Dahon off at Eki sometime soon. It's been sorely and sadly neglected by me...

This is the little one that I have:

and it folds up to this:

I'm thinking about selling it to get a regular bike but I kinda like the little folding gig. I just hate looking like circus bear. Maybe when I'm at Eki's I'll look at regular ones. I wonder if they have a trade in program.. haha!

Those are some nice pics of Ko'olina Howard. I haven't been to Ko'olina in YEARS!! I think the only time I've ever been there was back in 1995 when I first graduated and came here for a vacation. Wow, it looks pretty out there. I wanna go there now. Dar shall play hooky one day to frolick in the warm blue water.
"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best." -M. Monroe
Unread 11-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #16
radopps
FAT GUY WITH GLASSES

Additional Info
Ewa
Send a message via AIM to radopps
Credits: 2,108.80
radopps is on a distinguished road

so i bought a bike...haven't ridden in over 12 years!!!
Unread 11-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
idiosyncratic
iz jus me dakine li'dat!

Additional Info
Xeno Tactic Champion! Assassination Simulator Champion! Tetris Champion! Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion! Ball A Track Champion! Bricks Champion! Ring Pass Not Champion! 1 Starship Champion! 100 Men Champion! Bottle Shooter Champion! Cosmic Defender Champion! Kakato Otoshi Champion! Five Champion! Bookworm Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Angel Power Racing Champion! Apple girl Champion! Xeno Tactic 2 Champion! Air Hockey Champion! Avatar Star Sue Champion! 13 Days in Hell Champion! Ultimate Crab Battle Champion! 3D Racing - Track 1 Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! 3D Superball Champion! Decoder Champion! Air Typer Champion! Vegas Invader Champion! WipeOut Champion! Animal Keeper Champion! Kung Fu Fighter Champion! Burger Restaurant Champion! Kung Fu Remix Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! No Gravity Champion! Clash`N Slash Champion! Pit Stop Challenge Champion! Kingkong Island Champion! Keyboard Smash Champion! Sim Rescue Champion! BupPreview Champion! American Dragon Pinball Champion! Slingo Matchum Champion! Excited Insects Champion! JetSpeed Champion! Quad Champion! Earthling Eliminator Champion! Tank Master Champion! Mega Boom Champion! Jewel Miner Champion! Strikers 1945 Champion! Race Horse Tycoon Champion! Comboling Champion! SB Anchovy Assult Champion! Taz`s Tropical Havoc Champion! Simon Champion! Hero Zymbols Champion! Cubex Champion! Collateral Damages Champion! Trivial Blitz 2 Champion! Fast n Furious Champion! Sea Diver Champion! Death To Ninja Champion! Virtual Police Champion! HyperSphere Champion! Dead Frontier Night One Champion! Zombie S.S. Mission Champion! 4 Wheel Madness Champion! Drifting Champion! Dual Card Champion! Drakojan Skies Champion! Brain Buster Champion! Crazy Cube Champion! Super Robot Advanced Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Time Trial Champion! Snake Champion! Toon Crisis 2 Champion! Target Training! Champion! Acno Energiser Champion! Monstor Buster Champion! Fish Tales Champion! Targets Champion! Aerial Mahjong Champion! Metal Slug Flash Champion! Bubble Elements Arcade Champion! Mr Bump Pinball Champion! Assault Paintball Champion! Angel Pang Champion! Pinball Smash Up Champion! Street Shooter Champion! Laser Envy Champion! Caixa 2006 Champion! Desert Storm Champion! Aqua Slug Champion! BombJack Arcade Champion! Axegang Rampage Champion! Starsky & Hutch Pinball Champion! Mega Pengs! Champion! B29 Assault Champion! TNT Runner Champion! Puzzle Bobble Champion! Flying Gonzo Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Lego Basketball Challenge Champion! Shailine Champion! Monkey Kart Champion! Rapid Fire 2 Bubble Burst Champion! Chopper Popper Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! Virtual Police 2 Champion! Charles 007 Champion! The Transporter 2 Champion! National Treasure Pinball Champion! Ball Lifting Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Clash N Slash Champion! Twin Power Champion! Hang On v2 Champion! R.S.V.P Champion! Blobber Champion! Caliber Dash Champion! Extreme Racing 2 Champion! Putt It In Champion! Treasure Pyramid Champion! Pangflash Champion! Game For Money Champion! Brain Machine Champion! Simpsons: Ball of Death Champion! Megaman Zero Alpha Champion! Candy Shoot Champion! Lucky Eights Champion! The Princess`s Tiara Champion! Planetcide Genesis Champion! Angel Killer Champion! Rick Dangerous Champion! Star Ladder Champion! Baby Boom Champion! Operation Tiger Champion! Baby Ball Champion! Monster Truck Trials Champion! Floatin` Assault Champion! Rapid Randy Champion! I Object! Champion! Word Freak Champion! Stackopolis Champion! Cone Crazy 2 Champion! Catch Champion! Ball Toucher V32 Champion! UpBeat Champion! Ninja Hunter Survival Champion! Mancala Champion! Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion! Crazy Maze Champion! Neon 2.5 Champion! Overkill: Apache Champion! Festival Pinball Champion! Tower of Moai Champion! Blam! Blam! Champion! Momentum Missile Mayhem Champion! Grave Yard Panic Champion! Street Fighter Flash Champion! Ultimate Football Champion! Belter Champion! Ghost Hunter 2 Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion! Matrix Dock Defense Champion! Bubiking! Champion! Uniroyal Fun Cup Champion! Inspector Parker Champion! Checkers Champion! Cuisine King Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Deflector game Champion! Endless Zombie Attack-Defence Champion! Doomed Champion! Elite Base Jumping Champion! Heli Attack 2 Champion! Raiden X Champion! Jump Jump Champion! Monster Bubbles Champion! Head Space Champion! Strategy Defense 3 Champion! Dojo Delivery Dash Champion! Angel Mart Champion! Brain Bones Champion! Breakout Champion! Clash'N Slash: Worlds Away Champion! Adventure Ho Champion! Baby Hospital Champion! Renganax Champion! Haunted House Champion! Q*Bert 2004 Champion! The Flying Minutini -NS- Champion! Pat Ping Pong Champion! BRIXXX Champion! Havana Club 2 Champion! Straight master Champion!
in the Matrix, practicing my super kung fu!
Credits: 4,434.18
idiosyncratic is on a distinguished road

what kind of bike radopps? road? mountain? motorcycle?

my neighbor was going to throw away a bicycle. i took it. can always use extra parts
I am not liable for any assumptions that you may have about my posts
idiosyncrasies of the truth inevitably varies with an individual's perception

Unread 11-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Hey Leo, want to join our rides?

Unread 11-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
radopps
FAT GUY WITH GLASSES

Additional Info
Ewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic
what kind of bike radopps? road? mountain? motorcycle?

my neighbor was going to throw away a bicycle. i took it. can always use extra parts
just a regular mountain bike...hopefully i can use to lose some weight!!!
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,915.75
Act162this is on a distinguished road

jealous of you who can ride bicycles...

mother keeps bugging me to get my son a bike and teach him to ride ("all boys need to know how to ride a bicycle").

funny, they never bothered to teach me... how the @$#!@ am i supposed to teach my son to ride a bicycle if i have no freakin' clue how to do it myself?

rev him up, let him go, and hope gyroscopic effects take over from there or watch my son get road rash? i dun theenk so.
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

kombers haz bikez in the workz

stay tuned

muahahahahahaha
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
TheMayor
That guy.

Additional Info
Makakilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act162this
jealous of you who can ride bicycles...

mother keeps bugging me to get my son a bike and teach him to ride ("all boys need to know how to ride a bicycle").

funny, they never bothered to teach me... how the @$#!@ am i supposed to teach my son to ride a bicycle if i have no freakin' clue how to do it myself?

rev him up, let him go, and hope gyroscopic effects take over from there or watch my son get road rash? i dun theenk so.
Do it the way my dad taught me. Push-n-pray.

Unread 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #23
kombi731

Additional Info
Kailua

I taught myself how to ride a bike

true story
F training wheels
Unread 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
radopps
FAT GUY WITH GLASSES

Additional Info
Ewa

my uncle made me ride with training wheels...then randomly took them off!!!
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #25
Act162this
PW Aficionado

Additional Info
Credits: 9,915.75
Act162this is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor
Do it the way my dad taught me. Push-n-pray.
ah, same way my father taught me how to swim, the two-step approach.

step 1: throw kid into deep end.

step 2: wait. there is no step 2.

Facebook Comments