Stock Trader Top Investors HT Affiliates
Go Back   Hawaii Talks - Hawaii's Online Community Forums! > Hawaii Talks Forums > General Discussion > O'ahu

O'ahu The Gathering Place

View Poll Results: How much more can we go?
A lot more! Potential is still there 0 0%
We are approaching our capacity for the island 0 0%
This is enough; we should slow or cap development 2 100.00%
Too much; quality of life will suffer now 0 0%
Oahu is ruined. Time to leave. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Unread 07-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Hee_Haw
Part time Trunk Monkey

Default Development of Oahu (poll)

There will be at least 6,500 new housing units set to be built on Oahu in the coming years. 4,500 in Kaka'ako and downtown, and 2,000 more in Central Oahu. Just heard of yet another 500 units proposed for Central Oahu/ Kapolei.

I'm wondering out loud when we are going to think we have enough.

Already, our one and only landfill is declared "full to capacity", yet trucks are still hauling our crap there. We try our best to run H-POWER with our burnable trash, recycle our plastics, metals and (hopefully soon again) glass, and we efficiently make use of our greenwaste into mulch and earth products (I applaud that effort as it saves tons of biodegradable waste from being buried when it shouldn't)

Our water supplies are compromised; those who lived here over 30 years know how the water quality has gone downhill (salts and other corrosive minerals in tap water compared to 30 plus years ago). Our wastewater and sewage system is antiquated in town and breaks frequently (but technology has been amazing--relining old pipes with epoxy making "new" pipes within the old, I've seen this), and natural places of recreation are being developed and turned into artificial "fun" places (marinas, etc.)

How much is too much, before Honolulu and Waikiki no longer are icons of Hawaii, but indistinguishable from Southern California or Hong Kong?

I spend a lot of time on the Windward side, and it truly feels like "God's Country". But it carries a hefty price tag.

The way things are moving along, I'm considering going back to Molokai or seeking another island (besides Maui which has more open space but is facing the same development craze in Lahaina and the "tourist belt" on the west side).

For those in the "second city", how is life there? I'm stuck in the outskirts of urban Honolulu but still must foray in to do business and life. Just wondering what the opinions are out there.

Last edited by Hee_Haw; 07-26-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Facebook Comments